BUG: PBB rendering is atrocious

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 10822
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 10 2012 8:15 AM

The formatting of PBB's in L4 Mac is incredibly sloppy, rendering the finished product unusable.

Here is the MS Word 2011 document. This is a preliminary document—no milestones or datatypes inserted yet.

This is the poor result of building with L4 Mac. Note the excessive space between heading lines and the incredible gap between the first two lines of the quoted material.

Posts 10822
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 10 2012 8:34 AM

Another example of poor rendering:

MS Word for Mac 2011

PBB: Note that the transliteration in parenthesis has overlapped the Hebrew text. English text is Times New Roman while the Hebrew is Cardo (Ezra SiL does poorly in MS Word).

Posts 3188
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 10 2012 8:45 AM

Hi Jack,

If you feel comfortable, can you post your source doc so I can try on Mac and Windows versions of Logos4? OR I could email you and retrieve it that way (again only if you're comfortable). I would like to see if the behavior is the same on both platforms. 

Posts 29473
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 10 2012 8:52 AM

Jack - what "view" are you using in word? It looks like you are in outline mode. Switching to layout mode will give you a better feel for what is going on (if that is the problem). 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 10822
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 10 2012 9:07 AM

alabama24:
what "view" are you using in word?

Page Layout. Word is doing well. It is L4 Mac that is distorted.

Outline view looks like this

Posts 10822
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 10 2012 9:11 AM

Tommy Ball:
If you feel comfortable, can you post your source doc so I can try on Mac and Windows versions of Logos4?

No problem, this is still a preliminary document consisting mainly of notes. A zip archive did not make it any smaller, so I used DropStuff. Let me know if you cannot open it.

7115.Romans 1.24-32 (Notes).docx.sitx

Another rendering failure, from page 8 of the original document

The heading styles in this document use Calibri (Headings). Body Text (style ¶) is Times New Roman 11 pt, Quote is Times New Romans 10 pt. Greek is SBL Greek. Is there a known issue with any of these?

Posts 10822
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 10 2012 9:23 AM

Jack Caviness:

This is the poor result of building with L4 Mac. Note the excessive space between heading lines and the incredible gap between the first two lines of the quoted material.

The quoted material was copied from a web page and pasted into Word. Could there be something hidden that does not show in Word but affects PBB?

UPDATE: Retyped the first two lines of the quoted material and rebuilt the PBB. This removed the gap between the first two lines. Too bad I did not think of the source of the quote previously. However the Hebrew text overlap is still present. This was pasted from Accordance (they have a better copy feature than Logos does). The parenthesis are Times New Roman while the Hebrew and transliteration are Cardo.

Posts 3188
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 10 2012 9:33 AM

Hi Jack,

I don't have a tool on the Mac or PC that will open that file. Is it larger than the forums will support? If you can use Mac's archiving tool (right-click the file and click Compress),post it to ge.tt and send me the link I can download it and let you know when I have it so you can remove it. You don't need an account at ge.tt to do it, and yo ucan just drag and drop the file on the page for it to start uploading. 

URL: ge.tt

Posts 10822
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 10 2012 10:52 AM

Tommy Ball:
I don't have a tool on the Mac or PC that will open that file.

Wow! Stuffit used to be the standard.

Tommy Ball:
Is it larger than the forums will support?

What can the forum support?

In any case, here is the DropBox link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cl7dar1khqm4d8b/Vwhu-z0gzQ

Let me know if this works. Have not tried to share previously with DropBox. Apple took away MobileMe Sad

Posts 3188
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 10 2012 11:42 AM

Thanks Jack, that worked perfectly. 

Posts 10822
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 10 2012 1:34 PM

Tommy Ball:

Thanks Jack, that worked perfectly. 

Good to know. Now I can send files to my missionary friends.

BTW: Should I try a different Hebrew font? any recommendations?

UPDATE: MS Word will not recognize SBL Hebrew. Downloaded new copy of Ezra SIL and used Ezra SIL SR (a slightly larger font than Ezra SIL). This also resolved the overlap—no overlap, but no space between Hebrew and parenthesis). Added extra space, and the PBB looks better. Not perfect, but better.

Workaround—Removed transliteration to footnotes. George S says we don't need them anyway Geeked

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS