Interesting Words in Exegetical Guide

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 2
Angela Potter | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 18 2009 11:43 AM

What is the Interesting Words feature in the Exegetical Guide? How are the interesting words selected? How are others using this feature in their exegesis?

Posts 1145
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 1:20 PM

Hi Angela,

I found Interesting Words in the Passage Guide, but, so far not in the Exegetical Guide.  In L3, the Passage Guide had Important words in a passage or words that were more relevant to the passage studied and given you understand or study more relevant words, you gain better understanding of the whole passage.  It's something to use, probably, when I still haven't found satisfaction in my study and I need to pursue other words in the passage.

Hope this helps a little.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 1:26 PM

Joan Korte:
I found Interesting Words in the Passage Guide, but, so far not in the Exegetical Guide.

You can add passage guide elements to exegetical guides and vice versa

Posts 35581
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 5:41 PM

AngelaPotter:
What is the Interesting Words feature in the Exegetical Guide?

It is testing the new computer technology for mind reading. If it works, we'll never worry about typing errors, spelling errors, or lost functions again. How else would Logos know the words were interesting.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 7:03 PM

MJ. Smith:
It is testing the new computer technology for mind reading.

So why does my section keep coming up blank?

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 3:12 AM

Philip Spitzer:
So why does my section keep coming up blank?

so much for trying to "serious-up" these threads... Hmm

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 3:14 AM

Robert Pavich:
so much for trying to "serious-up" these threads... Hmm

Sorry....I was just in a mood yesterday....I will do better today....."seriousing-up".....

Posts 139
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 8:27 AM

AngelaPotter:
How are the interesting words selected?

Basically it compares the frequencies of the words in the passage to their overall frequencies in the larger text. Words that are more frequent than you'd expect often correspond to "more important to this passage". It's not perfect, but it can help focus your attention on specific content in the passage. I find it tends to work better for ranges of several verses to a pericope: a single verse is usually too short, and a whole chapter too long. But these are just broad suggestions.

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 8:38 AM

Thanks Sean.  Thats now a FAQ: http://wiki.logos.com/Interesting_Words

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 2
Angela Potter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 9:16 AM

Thanks, Sean! Based on word count is what it looked like to me, but I was hoping that the criteria for selection was a little more "interesting" based on theologically loaded words or textual variants or controversial word translations amongst biblical scholars and theologians. I'll keep dreaming!

Posts 17
Steven Koster | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 6:47 PM

I actually find this to be a hugely helpful tool, especially for a pericope in the original language.

Almost invariably, the tool does an accurate job of highlighting the theme of the passage and yielding insights into what the original writer was trying to emphasize.

It makes fairly simple sense--the key topic or figures are likely to be mentioned frequently within a passage, and the keywords stand out even more when the they are not as used elsewhere in scripture.

In short, one of my favorite grammatical exegetical tools.

Posts 1054
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 12:02 AM

Are there any ways to put all the interesting words into horizontal only? Vertical one are harder to read.

Thanks.

Posts 87
Ray D | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 5:43 AM

It would be beneficial to create a feature that allow users to limit the number of interesting words returned. For example. When I search in a pericope (Gal 5:1-15), there are more than 50 interesting words that display. I would much prefer maybe 10 most interesting words at most. It seems to me that important words in L3 had fair fewer words returned, which I recall being more useful, at minimum, it was less cluttered.

Posts 35581
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 1:54 PM

Ray D:
I would much prefer maybe 10 most interesting words at most.

Since "interesting" is a statistical measurement, I could see a list in the order of deviance from the norm ... you're then free to read down the list as far as you wish.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1054
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 2:29 PM

how to order it according to the frequency? And how to make everything horizontal only?

Thanks.

Posts 35581
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 5:10 PM

Cheung Ka Hei Kolen:
how to order it according to the frequency? And how to make everything horizontal only?

Neither is possible at this time. The size of the font is indicative of the amount of "interesting" ... it is a statistical measure of the difference between the frequency in this passage vs. "normal" frequency.

Posts 532
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 3:29 PM

I hope that they make a list format possible in the future. I find the current format difficult to read. Black and white would be helpful, but the current format for this and the topics make them useless as far as I am concerned. My eyes are getting older (along with the rest of me!), but surely there are others who find it visually distracting.

Posts 1054
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 4:52 PM

Amen

Posts 6
Michael F Storz | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 7:36 AM

I agree. When I submit a whole book the words that come up are unreadable to me (even when I use the enlarge function) and trying to find the word in the list is near impossible.

Posts 35581
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 9:47 PM

This topic has come up in several threads - there are solid reasons for how it is now; there are solid reasons for have textual analytics. The important things is not to confuse one for the other.

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS