Page Numbers in Charlesworth, Old Testament Pseudepigrapha

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 302
JPH | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 30 2012 8:59 AM

I can't seem to get page numbers when I cite 1 Enoch or 2 Baruch in Charlesworth's OTP. Same problem in the Charles edition of POT too. Am I missing something?

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2012 9:07 AM

Welcome to the Forums!

They have a versification system like the Bible does, so I believe that is what is cited not page numbers. When you copy/paste it should do it properly.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2012 9:08 AM

John Harrigan:

I can't seem to get page numbers when I cite 1 Enoch or 2 Baruch in Charlesworth's OTP. Same problem in the Charles edition of POT too. Am I missing something?

I get page numbers in both.  Do you have problems with page numbers in other resources?  How do you attempt to display the page numbers?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 302
JPH | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2012 10:01 AM

I just highlight, copy and paste. I get pg# for eg 2 Enoch and 3 Baruch (though not in the display box in logos), but not for 1 enoch and 2 baruch. Is there another way to copy that includes pg#?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2012 10:13 AM

John Harrigan:

I just highlight, copy and paste. I get pg# for eg 2 Enoch and 3 Baruch (though not in the display box in logos), but not for 1 enoch and 2 baruch. Is there another way to copy that includes pg#?

So, you're not asking about the display of page numbers in the resource itself?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 302
JPH | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2012 10:16 AM

Nope, citation is all that really matters to me. I haven't had a problem in other resources, though I noticed a couple weeks ago that the College Press NIV Comm on Eph. 1:10 also doesn't give pg#.

Posts 302
JPH | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2012 10:19 AM

The old Charles edition of the Pseudepigrapha also switches back and forth between reference and pg# in citation.

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2012 10:21 AM

On the resource panel where you can type the page # is that displaying? If its the reference number, then try clicking in that box, I seem to remember you switch the location type. I am on my iPad so I can't check.

But unless you are citing something from a book introduction you want to use something like 2 Enoch 1:1 for your citation. It allows someone to find the reference in any copy of the Pseudepigrapha. If you need this for a paper that is also how you cite it, you don't cite ancient texts by page numbers.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2012 10:23 AM

John Harrigan:

I don't get page numbers either, but if you have "Copy Citations" checked in the Program Settings you will get what I get (and which has been mentioned as the method of citing these works) which is the chapter and verse references.  I was going to give an example, but these references are shown in Word but not here on the forum.  If you try this in Word you should see the citation.  If you want the citation in some other program, I suggest that you first copy it into Word to get the citation then copy it into your final target.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 302
JPH | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2012 10:42 AM

Philana Crouch:
you don't cite ancient texts by page numbers.

True. But it would be nice to have all of the page numbers for reference-- similar to citing Ireneaus in ANF, handy to have page numbers to go alone with Against Heresies 2.2.5 or whatever. 

Posts 302
JPH | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2012 11:01 AM

Philana Crouch:
On the resource panel where you can type the page # is that displaying? If its the reference number, then try clicking in that box, I seem to remember you switch the location type.

This works. Still doesn't show in the citation when pasted into Word, but I can get that manually from the resource panel. Thanks!

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2012 12:25 PM

John Harrigan:

Philana Crouch:
you don't cite ancient texts by page numbers.

True. But it would be nice to have all of the page numbers for reference-- similar to citing Ireneaus in ANF, handy to have page numbers to go alone with Against Heresies 2.2.5 or whatever. 

Yes that is nice, but this ties it to the specific location of the work itself instead of a specific translation. For example if someone cites 1 Clement it doesn't matter if I own the ANF by Schaff or the Apostolic Fathers by Holmes, I can see what 1 Clement 1:1 says. In a footnote and bibliography you would cite the specific translation you used. 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS