Word Wrap Notes in Note File

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 89
Shawn Nichols | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 15 2012 4:01 PM

I'm sorry if this question has already been addressed. My search returned no helpful results.

Is it possible to word-wrap notes in a note file? I'm studying with several books over a related topic or class. All of those highlights or notes are added to a certain note file on my iPad while reading. When I return to the note file in Logos 4 (Windows) the notes are each on a separate line. I would like to use the note file as a study sheet without having to click on each note to open in the original source. Right now some of the notes are really long, so trying to change the font or increase the window size (across my two monitors) is still not sufficient.

Thanks.

Posts 859
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 15 2012 4:27 PM

You're in luck. Wordwrap cannot be turned off.

My guess is that you copied text from a source where each line had its own carriage return. You can test this by placing your cursor at the end of one of your note lines and pressing [Delete]. If the next line jumps up to join it, then you have discovered the solution--a lot of work if the note is a long one.

Posts 89
Shawn Nichols | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 15 2012 4:35 PM

To clarify, I don't want to turn word wrap off, I want to turn it on. There are no line breaks in my note file in L4. I highlight text in a resource while reading on my iPad and select my notes document. When returning to L4 (Windows) the note (highlight) does not wrap in the notes window.

Also, to be clear, I'm adding highlighting from my iPad, not notes .... but the highlighting is added to a note file as a quote. Works great ... if I could just read the whole thing.Geeked

While this involves my iPad, I've posted in the Windows forum because that's where the problem has been noticed.

Posts 89
Shawn Nichols | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 15 2012 4:36 PM

PS - I'm highlighting in Vyrso on my iPad.

Posts 3188
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 24 2012 2:57 PM

Hi Shawn,

If this is still happening read on. I can't reproduce the behavior in the Bible! app. Can you:

1. Verify the behavior appears when making notes there.
  2. Let us know what "view" you are using in notes on the desktop app.
  3. post screens of what it looks like in the mobile app and the desktop.

Thank you

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 24 2012 4:46 PM

When you say "word wrap" do you, by any chance, refer to the fact that the note 'title', i e the text you highlighted, show up truncated, with just the first and last words and some dots in the middle? If so, that is intended behaviour, I'm afraid.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 89
Shawn Nichols | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 25 2012 12:33 PM

Yes. Unless I'm doing something wrong it still happens in the Bible app. Here are the steps in Vyrso:

1. Highlight the text.

2. Review the Note file in Logos (Windows). The yellow arrow shows the recent highlighting added to the note file. You will notice that the highlighted note trails to the right off the screen. You can see more of the highlighting by making the window wider, but I'm needing the highlight to wrap. The other highlights listed are those added previously.

The Screen shots below show the same process using Logos for iPad (running iOS 6) and the desktop (Windows) view of 1 Thess 5:17-24 as an example. The other notes in the Windows notes file were added as NOTES and not as Highlighting. That seems to make a difference. Notes wrap when added on the tablet. Highlightings do not.

Also, is there any way to get the notes to sort differently? I just noticed that the notes are sorted in the file in the order in which they are highlighted. That's great if you read the book in order. But if you want to go back and re-read a chapter ... and then you highlight during that ... the highlights are not consistent with the chapter content. My guess is that this is not what you've intended the note file to be (since you can add notes from multiple books to one note file) but it would be cool anyway.

Posts 29473
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 25 2012 1:41 PM

Shawn – To clarify: It seems to me like you are having difficulties with word wrap in the title of the note. I know this is confusing… Logos didn't design highlighting notes to be a place where you could come back to read your highlights. The "quote" line that you are looking at is really the title of the note. When you highlight in the mobile app, there is a "bug" which provides the entire quote. When you highlight from within L4, the app abridges the quote with an ellipses. 

I am using the Mac version and am not having problems with word wrap in the title section. I don't know if you have accidentally changed a setting or not. What version are you using?

As for sorting: click the note menu (notebook paper icon, upper left corner). This will give you sort options.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 89
Shawn Nichols | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 25 2012 3:47 PM

alabama24:
What version are you using?

4.6 SR-2 (4.60.0.3010) on Windows.

alabama24:
As for sorting: click the note menu (notebook paper icon, upper left corner). This will give you sort options.

Thanks! Looks like "reference" does what I want. Sorting by "title" puts the books in resource order, but doesn't seem to be ordered well below that.

alabama24:
Shawn – To clarify: It seems to me like you are having difficulties with word wrap in the title of the note.

I see that now. It makes a note out of the highlighted portion. It needs to put the highlighted text in the note text field rather than the title field. The note file doesn't do me any good with the text in the title field.

Posts 29473
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 25 2012 4:03 PM

Shawn Nichols:
It needs to put the highlighted text in the note text field rather than the title field. The note file doesn't do me any good with the text in the title field

There are many who agree with you. In defense of Logos, users have discovered a use that Logos never intended. This isn't a "bug" issue, but a "feature request." I understand and agree with Logos reasoning for the note title… it is designed to help you find the highlighting note (and nothing more). You can change that title, by the way… not that you want to for your purposes. Smile

I would actually like something slightly different. I would like to see the title and note field behavior remain the same, but it would be nice to have a quote field added as well, with the ability to switch to a highlight/quote view which would hide all other fields. This would allow you to read the highlights from a resource all in a row without any other distractions. It would also be nice to have a note "explorer" which would show note info in a side panel (similar to other "lookup" tools in Logos… only the current note would be shown).

As for the original reason for your posting: I don't know if someone else has any ideas about the word wrap… I hope some PC user can help you! Sorry. 

Posts 89
Shawn Nichols | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 25 2012 4:23 PM

Thanks for the reply. The explanation really helps a lot. I think its an issue that Logo needs to address, though. They just sold my seminary on the idea that Logos is the primary Bible software tool on the market. Now it's a requirement to own the software. While I agree with that, a lot of students are now using Logos for more than Bible study ... purchasing e-books (thru Logos nonetheless) and using them for academic work. Now, we're studying the textbooks, not just the Bible. With that comes added functionality that is needed ... not to mention significantly better original language searching (that's another topic). Wink

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2012 7:24 AM

alabama24:
In defense of Logos, users have discovered a use that Logos never intended.

That's whitewashing things a bit, isn't it? Users didn't "discover" that use after the launch. They/we demanded that use long before the launch, and Logos chose to ignore all those requests when they reworked highlighting -- even going so far as to call it a 'bug' when it gives us [more or less] what we've asked for, and 'intended' when it doesn't.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 29473
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2012 11:38 AM

fgh:
That's whitewashing things a bit, isn't it?

I'm not sure what you mean? I didn't say that I agree with Logos, just that they didn't intend the feature. I believe it is important for people to understand that it IS a bug. If users get dependent upon using it, a "bug fix" might cause them a ton of grief. I'm not saying users should not use the "bug" to their advantage, but I tend to be fairly conservative about these things. Users should be aware that a bug fix could cease this behavior or worse… erase their data. I don't think the later is going to happen, but it could. It would be nice to hear from Logos about this issue… 

I will add that using the title/subject line for quotes isn't a good idea. I strongly agree with the desire/functionality expressed by you and others, but it should be designed differently. I would like to see something like the screen shot below for the "normal" note view. A special "review" mode would show only highlights, grouped by chapter.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2012 4:57 PM

alabama24:

fgh:
That's whitewashing things a bit, isn't it?

I'm not sure what you mean?

You made it sound like first Logos did the programming, and then afterwards users came up with this new idea, which Logos didn't anticipate. When the reality is that users demanded this long before Logos reprogrammed Highlighting, and they chose to ignore the requests.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 29473
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2012 7:05 PM

fgh:
You made it sound like first Logos did the programming, and then afterwards users came up with this new idea, which Logos didn't anticipate.

Thats not what I meant to imply. Sorry. Tongue Tied

fgh:
When the reality is that users demanded this long before Logos reprogrammed Highlighting, and they chose to ignore the requests.

I agree with the desire expressed here (even if I would implement it differently), and have a couple of pet issues of my own. Angry

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS