Update to The Dead Sea Scrolls in English

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Sep 16 2012 7:00 PM

The Dead Sea Scrolls in English by Geza Vermes is in its 4th edition in Logos. Vermes' latest update is up to the 7th edition now, and has grown from about 390 pages in Logos to over 700 pages. Since our version is 1995, there have been huge advances in the translations he has done to scrolls. This book is one of the leading books on the Dead Sea Scrolls, can we get an update? When it comes to the DSS, anything this old is bordering on useless so much new stuff has come out.

There is other scholarship and archeology books on DSS as well - any new books in this area would be greatly appreciated! (For example, Nehemiah has recently been discovered in a scroll for the first time, just in the last 6 months. I suspect there is scholarship available that we could enjoy). 

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 16 2012 7:03 PM

I just found the 7th edition is available on the Kindle at Amazon for $11.95. If they can get it why can't we, why is ours the 4th edition?

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 16 2012 7:12 PM

I have mentioned this before but our version of Dead Sea Scrolls Today is 1994 version, and this has also been updated in 2010. If you think about it, citing a DSS resource that has been superseded by its author is very risky as new information may render the point of the writing incorrect or obsolete. I sure wish Logos would update these resources, or at least tell us they can't so some of us can start purchasing the books in other ways. Nothing worse than an old library.

Posts 2591
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 17 2012 5:24 AM

I wonder if Logos obtained this resource (which I hope they do) if the publisher would require it to be purchased again or if it could be an update.

Posts 1162
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 17 2012 6:03 AM

Vermes' book is in its 7th ed in Penguin but I don't think you'll find much difference between that and the fourth ed that we have from Sheffield. The large page count difference is largely due to the publishers using a different size of paper. I don't think Logos has ever published a Penguin book so I don't see it happening soon.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 17 2012 6:13 AM

Tom Reynolds:

Vermes' book is in its 7th ed in Penguin but I don't think you'll find much difference between that and the fourth ed that we have from Sheffield. The large page count difference is largely due to the publishers using a different size of paper. I don't think Logos has ever published a Penguin book so I don't see it happening soon.

I am not sure about that, I was reading an article which described the work Vermes has done over the years with this book, and how each book has successively added more translations of scrolls that were not translated before. That implies the latest is much more complete in its set of translations than a version 3 editions older I would think.

Posts 1162
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 17 2012 6:58 AM

You can have a look at the TOC on Amazon. I didn't see any glaring additions but I didn't compare it section for section.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 17 2012 7:07 AM

I think in a few days I can get my hands on a copy of the hard back 7th edition. I'll report what differences I see. If it's significant I'll buy the Kindle version so I have an electronic copy of it.

Posts 2372
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 18 2012 8:13 PM

The Dead Sea Scrolls:  A New Translation is shipping on 10/2.  It is 10 years newer than the Vermes volume.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2012 3:31 AM

Joseph Turner:

The Dead Sea Scrolls:  A New Translation is shipping on 10/2.  It is 10 years newer than the Vermes volume.

True, but Vermes is the gold standard in the DSS world, it would seem to make perfect sense to update it. Vermes is much more widely quoted, in my library he is quoted 9,026 results in 4,953 articles in 1,127 resources!

That said, this is not a question of either/or, "and" is ok ( and preferred).

Posts 1535
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 5:47 AM

Yes

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS