A Quick Indexing Question

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 7
Matt Morrison | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 24 2009 2:54 PM

I know there have been lots of error reports regarding the indexing.  I am having a similar issue.  Every time I allow it to index, the estimated time of indexing keeps increasing rather than decreasing.  If it does manage to get below 11 hours, the indexer icon disappears.  If I open it all back up, it simply starts over again.  Is it even worth letting it try indexing?  If it is really doing the job then I am willing to wait.  If not, I don't want to waste my time and computer resources.  Just a thought... Thanks again and I look forward to seeing the final product come out soon!

Matt

Posts 94
Jonathan Griffiths | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 3:45 PM

Hi Matt,

The indexing can take a really long time. On my Macbook, indexing the Leader's Library took around 24 hours total first time around. The number you refer to keeps fluctuating because it is based on whichever resource it's currently indexing. If the indexer is in the midst of indexing a large commentary, it might display a longer time than if it was indexing a foundational document. So don't rely too much on the number! Which library did you buy? And FYI, if you have access to a PC too, or a virtual PC on your Mac, I found my total install time of Logos 4 LE to be under 5 hours.

L5 on Lenovo Thinkpad, i5, windows 7 pro | Logos App on Samsung Galaxy S3 | Logos App on tablet soon

Posts 7
Matt Morrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 4:50 PM

Hey Jonathan, 

I appreciate the insight.  That does make sense.  The issue I still have is the fact it keeps closing down mid-way through and and starts over.  Any ideas?  

Thanks again,
Matt 

Posts 7
Matt Morrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 4:51 PM

Sorry, forgot to answer your question.  I got the scholars silver library.

Posts 6
Ralph Schwarz | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 6:07 AM

I too have the Silver library.  Mine spent 2 days indexing a week ago and it completed - I was happy.  Now it started to do it all over again yesterday afternoon and it's still running now indicating almost 15 hours left.  Does it re-index with each update?  That is a lot of wear and tear on the Macbook Pro.

Posts 698
LogosEmployee

I realize this reply comes a bit late to the thread, but Alpha 5 Update (released the evening of Nov 25th) substantially improved indexing performance.

On CoreDuo 2 Ghz w/ 2 GB of RAM (among the oldest, slowest supported machines), it finished indexing Platinum in fewer than 15 hours. On newer machines (e.g. Mac Pro w/ 8 GB of RAM) it'll finish in fewer than 5 hours. The vast majority of machines should fall somewhere between those two extremes and smaller libraries should be faster as well.

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Posts 89
Stephen DeKuyper | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 10:31 PM

[View:http://community.logos.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/75/8203.Console-Messages.log:550:0]

[View:http://community.logos.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/75/6445.Logos4.log:550:0]

I have a new MacPro with Scholars Silver and Alpha 7, but I am having the same problem. Starts indexing and then just seems to stop (at least the blue icon disappears). I have attached the log.

Stephen

Posts 89
Stephen DeKuyper | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 11:25 PM

These logs may be more helpful as I have now lost the blue icon.

0083.Console Messages.log

8424.Logos4.log

Stephen

Posts 698
LogosEmployee
Cameron Watters (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 10:05 AM

Can you post the crash log that should be in the location below:

/Users/sdekuyper/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Logos4Indexer_2009-12-15-150937_stephen-dekuypers-macbook-pro.crash

The indexer crashed while indexing and neither the console messages nor the Logos4.log are clear as to why. That crash dump may provide some insight.

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Posts 89
Stephen DeKuyper | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 11:12 PM

I tried to attach it but I got a response that the file type is not valid and would not allow me to upload it. I have pasted the contents into a Word document. I hope this is okay.

4544.Logos4Indexer_2009-12-15-150937_stephen-dekuypers-macbook-pro.crash.docx

Stephen

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS