Tagging Project Idea

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 25 2009 4:26 AM

I've been thinking that even with Logos updating the Metadata they may not assign types the way that I would prefer types to be assigned. I've been thinking of tagging everything in my library with one tag that would be prefixed with TT- (Type Tag). It shouldn't take long to put the initial tag on, I'll just type them the way Logos does. Its the editing process that might take a bit of time. Does anyone see any downsides to this other then tags getting messy?

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 4:34 AM

1. Maintenance.  As new resources are added you'll have to remember to keep doing this to keep the functionality.  Maybe you can do that - I'm not sure I can, I'm quite forgetful.

2.  As you state: messy.  It's going to be a hodge podge before long unless you have some strict "rules" to keep it in line.

3.  Difficult to change.  A tag manager would be quite handy, but we don't have one.  What if you select 123 items to be tagged TT-PoorTheology.  And then realize that they were all right.  It's hard to change just one tag if there are multiple tags on an item.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 5:11 AM

Thomas Black:
1. Maintenance.  As new resources are added you'll have to remember to keep doing this to keep the functionality.  Maybe you can do that - I'm not sure I can, I'm quite forgetful.

Yeah, this does sound like one of those projects that become covered in cyberwebs and bits of dust. Maybe it would be better to simply mark inappropriate types with "TT-". then I could do a filter like type:dictionary ANDNOT mytag:TT- to filter out the unwanted ones. This would be better than marking everyting and less messy. If I really want to add a resource to a type I could use TT+mytype. I'll give er some thought.

Thomas Black:
2.  As you state: messy.  It's going to be a hodge podge before long unless you have some strict "rules" to keep it in line.

Types would be relatively general and attempt at objectivity. For instance I would never give something a PoorTheology tag. I would prefer to use the rating system for this. This did spark in desire in my mind, though. I would love to see several "Star Rating" categories which calculate to an overall category. For instance, I would love to be able to set a Theology Rating, Readability rating, scholarly rating, etc. and then have an overall rating calculate to it. This would be useful so long as rating is adjustable as I read a resource without having to go to the library. then I could mark My Thomas Black commentary as a 1 star in the theology department and my Damian Commentary series as a 5 star. Once I realize that the Black commentary of 1 Peter isn't all that bad I would give it a two star. Damian I'm sure would be drastically demoted over time. Short term the benefits would be minimal, but long term they could be quite helpful.

Thomas Black:
3.  Difficult to change.  A tag manager would be quite handy, but we don't have one.  What if you select 123 items to be tagged TT-PoorTheology.  And then realize that they were all right.  It's hard to change just one tag if there are multiple tags on an item.

Not too worried about this. I really believe Logos is going to provide one after what they've promised they would deliver has come about.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS