I can't believe they want to charge me for an upgrade

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 2 2012 8:58 AM

I went to the dealer and they want 10,000 for a new car. They said that my old car still works and all I'm buying are new features, but why do they want to charge me on top of my trade-in?

I was told that my old car has a lifetime warranty, shouldn't that count for something? They promised me that I could drive my car forever, so why should they charge me?

I just don't get it.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:04 AM

They aren't charging you.  Your existing car (Logos 4) with all its existing resources will continue to run.  You have several choices. 

1. Buy an upgraded package now with the additional resoures and datasets. 

2., Wait until the crossgrade comes out and pay for that.  That will give you the new functionality with no new resources (apart from those required to run the new functionality)

3. Wait until the new engine comes out free of charge.  That will give you limited new functionality, but won't have the full set of new features.  

4. do nothing, thank God for Logos 4 and carry on working as previously.

Your lifetime guarantee still applies, your resources are all still yours, but you have several choices as to what additional functionality and resources you get depending on what you can afford to pay.  

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:04 AM

Ah yes ... it's so much fun making fun of other people.  Where's the pie people when we need them?

At church when someone(s) starts up whining about being charged seemingly high prices for Bible study material, I myself start ridiculing them. I feel so good.

Bible study is just like cars, houses and a good movie too! (Bob's example).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:05 AM

But I just paid $30,000 for this car a few years ago, why should I have to pay again?

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:07 AM

Why should my money support the auto maker?

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:09 AM

DMB:
Ah yes ... it's so much fun making fun of other people.

Not making fun, just using hyperbole to point out absurdity

Posts 69
Ken Hicks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:15 AM

It'd not that people have problems paying for the "new car." The problem is that the salesman tells you that the new car is free but you can only get it if you purchase a tank of gasoline...for $17,000. That's not a free car by any stretch of the imagination.

We are not buying "upgrades" with these base packages. We are buying many sets of new books (at good prices) to help cover the cost of the engine development. That's not free as the cost is embedded in the books.

Just separate the program (engine) from the content and sell it as an upgrade. I don't have a problem paying for it. I just don't want a bunch of "gasoline" if I already have a 10 gallon tank full at home.

Posts 1601
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:16 AM

It's a false analogy. 

"I bought a 2010 model, and they told me when the 2011 came out, I should bring it in and they'd do the work on it to make it equivalent to the 2011 for free! But now they're trying to charge me for a new car, instead of just doing the free work they promised on the old one."

See how easy that was?Devil

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:19 AM

Ben:
"I bought a 2010 model, and they told me when the 2011 came out, I should bring it in and they'd do the work on it to make it equivalent to the 2011 for free! But now they're trying to charge me for a new car, instead of just doing the free work they promised on the old one."
Nope, they've said that they'll do that work for free at the end of the first sale period. And they will.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:30 AM

GregW:

2., Wait until the crossgrade comes out and pay for that.  That will give you the new functionality with no new resources (apart from those required to run the new functionality)

3. Wait until the new engine comes out free of charge.  That will give you limited new functionality, but won't have the full set of new features.  

What's the difference between 2 and 3?

Sounds like I should wait a while, as I don't wish to increase resources, but I would like the new functionality.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:31 AM

TCBlack:
Nope, they've said that they'll do that work for free at the end of the first sale period. And they will.

Hard to believe that a for-profit company, one with almost 300 families to feed, would do this for their customers.

Darn good business, if you ask me...

Posts 1601
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:34 AM

I know. I'm just impatient, both with Logos and bad analogies. Geeked

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 2004
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:42 AM

TCBlack:

I don't think they've said "for free". To get full functionality of L5, the minimal crossgrade (zero new resources) will undoubtedly incur some cost to pay for the databases and the work that went along with that.

None of the analogies in this thread has been particularly good. Bob's analogy to first-run movies is bad. If I wait, I get the exact same movie for a lower cost. No one is asking for that here. We're willing to pay for the trailer immediately at an appropriate price point. (Not to mention why any business owner would want to be associated with the business practices of the movie studios...)

The only explanation for Logos making the decision they made is because they can. And it's absolutely within their purview to make that decision. My sense is that they have zero empathy for loyal, passionate customers with existing enormous libraries who are very excited to get the new functionality but don't need new resources, especially ones they can't select themselves.

That said, I'm all-in on Logos at this point. Just have to figure out how much pulling the trigger will look like for me...

Donnie

Posts 1601
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:48 AM

"I don't think they've said "for free". To get full functionality of L5, the minimal crossgrade (zero new resources) will undoubtedly incur some cost to pay for the databases and the work that went along with that."

There's a third and bottom tier for those of us who don't own a package, which is using the free engine. The minimal crossgrade is for those who DO own packages. If you don't own a package, there's nothing to minimally crossgrade FROM. Sure, I don't do Biblical People or whatnot, but I don't really care. 

Posts 2004
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:51 AM

Ben:
There's a third and bottom tier for those of us who don't own a package, which is using the free engine.

I understand that, but I was replying to TC Black who was discussing making the 2010 edition equivalent to the 2011. The inference in the postings prior to that was that 2011 had new features not in 2010 (i.e. not the free engine).

Donnie

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:53 AM

Dean053:

GregW:

What's the difference between 2 and 3?

Sounds like I should wait a while, as I don't wish to increase resources, but I would like the new functionality.

From what I can see (and I don't have inside knowledge), 2 is a chargeable crossgrade that will give you the databases that support some of the new features (see the Datasets at the bottom of your upgrade options page at Logos.com).  These don't look too expensive - if you hover over them on the page you'll see individual prices for each one.  This suggests that the crossgrade will be very reasonable when it comes. 

3 means that you get the free Logos 5 engine, but don't necessarily get the features that are supported by these new datasets, although you get the new UI and some of the new features, in just the same way that you can buy a Logos resource at the moment and download L4 without owning a base package.  

I'm waiting.  I currently have Platinum but to upgrade to L5 Platinum is more than I can afford at the moment so I will hang on for the crossgrade.  I went as far as going through the payment screens to upgrade, but didn't click the final one, and am actually feeling happier for not having done so. I am struggling to see why this should be such a problem for so many.  I don't need L5 today, I am happy to wait for it, and it would have been nice to have it, but patience is, after all, a fruit of the Spirit. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 1
Zombi Bhamster | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:05 AM

Paul Golder:

Why should my money support the auto maker?

You decide who and what your money supports.

Why would you return to the car dealer if you didn't want a new car?

They don't charge you to keep your old car.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:35 AM

Ben:
The minimal crossgrade is for those who DO own packages. If you don't own a package, there's nothing to minimally crossgrade FROM.

It is perfectly possible to buy the minimal crossgrade without owning any package. Or at least is was/is with L4, and until someone says otherwise I will assume it'll be the same with L5. Though it's quite possible you'd have to buy the L3>L4 crossgrade before you can buy the L4>L5 crossgrade.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 5978
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:44 AM

GregW:
 I currently have Platinum but to upgrade to L5 Platinum is more than I can afford at the moment so I will hang on for the crossgrade.

You might consider having a look at what it would cost to add either the new Silver or new Gold to your collection - you might judge that the forthcoming cross-grade is likely to be more expensive.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:55 AM

Mike Binks:

GregW:
 I currently have Platinum but to upgrade to L5 Platinum is more than I can afford at the moment so I will hang on for the crossgrade.

You might consider having a look at what it would cost to add either the new Silver or new Gold to your collection - you might judge that the forthcoming cross-grade is likely to be more expensive.

Thanks Mike - I did look at that option, but Gold was GBP337 whereas Platinum is GBP414, so I'm waiting to see what the crossgrade comes in at.  I'd like to have the Sense feature that is only available with Gold, so didn't want to go for Silver. There are some resources I'd like in the new Platinum, and my current Payment Plan finishes in a couple of months (I got NICOT/NICNT in the Christmas sale last year).  I'll leave it until I can compare the crossgrade and think about it calmly and quietly without looking at some of the remarks on the forums before making a final decision! 

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS