Font rendering

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 2 2012 2:24 PM

Font rendering doesn't seem to be as good in Logos 5. I have tried my previous prevous default font (Adobe Garamond Pro) and the new default fonts, and all seem to have ragged edges. Font smoothing doesn't seem to be as good as it was in Logos 4.

One advantage is that some symbols that are not available in Adobe Garamond Pro (for example, the corner brackets used in Lexham English Bible) do seem to display properly now, even with that selected as my font.

Posts 293
Mike Measley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:29 PM

This is the first thing I noticed with Logos 5.  Anyone have any suggestions about making the fonts smoother?  

Windows 7, Nexus 7

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:58 PM

I think I saw someone who got helped by restarting the computer. 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 6:05 PM

My laptop is running at 1600x900 and I noticed the same issue (see here). Apparently the recommended minimum resolution is 1280x1024 and that resolution & above seems to have much smoother fonts. After testing on my large monitor at work this was confirmed (1920x1200) because the fonts were extremely crisp & readable.

This was a disappointment for me, especially considering the standard for most laptops (even new ones) is 1600x900 unless it is higher end, which means they will experience this issue.

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 6:14 PM

Note you can reset the default font in Program Settings to "Default (Logos 4)" if you want.

Different fonts and sizes have different issues with WPF. See this article, there are many if you Google it (and this article points to other, more detailed descriptions and things to try). You can probably find a combination you are happy with though.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/190344/wpf-blurry-fonts-problem-solutions

Posts 293
Mike Measley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 7:41 PM

Thanks for the info.  I tried restarting, but no difference.  Yes, this is a laptop with 1440x900.  So I guess I am stuck.  Tried different fonts, and tried adjusting clear type.  Hope they can come up with a fix for smaller resolution screens.  It sounds as though it could be a coding issue from some of the links Dominick shared.

Windows 7, Nexus 7

Posts 9160
LogosEmployee

Jonathan Pitts:

Font rendering doesn't seem to be as good in Logos 5.

I'm going to assume you're on Windows (because that's where font rendering changed most).

We updated the underlying framework we use from WPF 3.5 (in Logos 4) to WPF 4.5 (in Logos 5). WPF 4 introduced a significant change in text rendering, and that's probably what you're seeing.

One known issue is that ClearType isn't turned on in the main window. If you open your resource in a floating window, does it look better to you? If so, that's an issue that we hope to address in an update soon. (As a somewhat awkward workaround for now, you could try to open all resources in a floating window.)

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:19 PM

Bradley, for me it looks the same whether it's in a floating window or in the main window. For now, the Logos 4 default font is working better (but still doesn't look as nice as it did in L4), so I'm using it in place of the L5 default.

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 270
KJ Niblett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:31 PM

I am having the same problems, the max resoultion on my laptop is 1366x768.

Maybe a font patch may be needed!

Posts 5632
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:00 PM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):
One known issue is that ClearType isn't turned on in the main window. If you open your resource in a floating window, does it look better to you?  If so, that's an issue that we hope to address in an update soon.

It looks much better to me in the floating window.  I thought I was going to have to live with pixelly fonts.  Tool windows are especially better since they have smaller  fonts that benefit a lot from ClearType.  I'm looking forward to the ClearType fix.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 3:29 AM

Bradley, you've been a busy boy today. Thanks for all your various help.

I'm going to assume you're on Windows (because that's where font rendering changed most).

Correct. Windows 7 on an Ultrabook with maximum resolution 1366 x 768.

We updated the underlying framework we use from WPF 3.5 (in Logos 4) to WPF 4.5 (in Logos 5). WPF 4 introduced a significant change in text rendering, and that's probably what you're seeing.

One known issue is that ClearType isn't turned on in the main window. If you open your resource in a floating window, does it look better to you? If so, that's an issue that we hope to address in an update soon. (As a somewhat awkward workaround for now, you could try to open all resources in a floating window.)

The appearances do appear to be how things were before ClearType was invented. Viewing in a floating window may be marginally better, but it is not completely resolved that way. (Having said that, my vision is not good this morning: up reading Logos forums too late into the night.)

Interestingly, things do look better when I access the PC remotely from my iPad 3 (with retina display). Those extra pixels certainly help.

Posts 2004
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 8:19 AM

One known issue is that ClearType isn't turned on in the main window.

Bradley,

Would this issue cause the font rendering on the home screen to be less than crisp, along with the menus and tab headings, etc. This is what I've immediately noticed. The home screen is just plain ugly for me - I won't even try to read what's on it. The resource font seems quite readable, though perhaps not as good as it could be. It seems those menu and tab fonts are clearer in a floating window.

If this issue is causing the home page and menu/tab font problems, that update can't come soon enough. ;)

BTW - I'm on L5 SR3, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, running at 1920x1080 on 2 27" monitors.

Donnie

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS