Selling Logos 4 rather than upgrading to Logos 5

Page 10 of 13 (250 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last »
This post has 249 Replies | 11 Followers

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 6:42 PM

Rev. 14:6:

I haven't been a customer as long as you, but I have had L4 Mac for a couple of years and really enjoy it too.  I have not had too many problems with it.  I did always feel envious of friends with the PC version, it just looked so much more refined and the Mac version like a step down.  I did not know what I have is a beta version and not an official L4.  I'm a bit perplexed about upgrading to L5, I have platinum currently and I guess I need to make a call to gather more info.  

It just seems to be very expensive to upgrade at this point when I paid a price to begin with while being a Theo student at that, and still am.  

Wait for the free engine and check into getting the crossgrade (though it isn't absolutely required to run what you already have).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 7:21 PM

Update: I spoke with Logos this evening and they corrected and explained the Price difference I experienced, I received an e-mail at about the same time I called, thus, they were already aware and making the correction.

The issue was NOT  the upgrade calculator, but simply not getting all discounts done by phone ( I was in the country, poor cell phone coverage) .

Long story short, Logos took care of it in less time than it takes me to write about it-Great Service.

Next: When opening Logos 5 this evening and resetting my layouts, everything seems to be there as it should be, very pleased with this result as well.

Thus, I have to say: Logos has done a good job with 5, customer support took care of my issues very well and all in all, at this stage, I am pleased with 5.

A big thanks to the Logos Staff and all of you here that helped.

Blessings all.

Posts 98
Joshua Coady | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 7:43 PM

That's great! I'm so glad to hear that you got it all worked out and are pleased with the end result. YesYes

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 8:09 PM

Yep, me too and, Mark Barnes video now makes sense with my install, can track it all with the video ( I think-smile ).

Marks Video's are very helpful.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 8:23 PM

I haven't been a customer as long as you, but I have had L4 Mac for a couple of years and really enjoy it too.

Personally like Logos 5 full screen on OS X 10.8.2 plus am Thankful for Logos

I'm a bit perplexed about upgrading to L5, I have platinum currently and I guess I need to make a call to gather more info.  

Understand perplexed; personally upgraded from Logos 4 Platinum to Logos 5 Portfolio because the delta cost increase from Diamond to Portfolio was less than 10 % of the combined regular prices for a number of items that were on my wish list.  Thankful for Logos payment plan option, which now includes a number of pre-publications with ship dates.

Am aware of other Logos 4 Platinum users looking at Logos 5 Starter or Silver upgrades; possibly combine with a minimal cross grade for the new Logos 5 data sets; e.g. Bible Sense Lexicon is included in Gold and above.

Thankful for Logos 5 change for upgrading; now have option to choose any package.  Logos is offering promotional discounts for larger packages: up to 30 % for Portfolio.

It just seems to be very expensive to upgrade at this point when I paid a price to begin with while being a Theo student at that, and still am.  Hence, I can't really justify the money.  My other student Mac "ies" are telling me and showing me accordance.  Never heard of it, but man this thing is FAST! So much more than mine, it just doesn't seem to come with what I currently have.

My favorite Logos feature is visual filter highlighting, which has Mac screen shots in thread => The HOW and WHY of Verbal Intensity? and wiki => http://wiki.logos.com/Extended_Tips_for_Highlighting_and_Visual_Filters#Examples_of_visual_filters  Caveat: Logos 4 and Logos 5 take awhile to combine hundreds of searches in visual filters for simultaneous display.  Thankful can "see" range of verbal expression used in Greek and English.

By the way, the Logos 5 Diamond and Portfolio packages have a number of new Theology resources.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 8:24 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

Yep, me too and, Mark Barnes video now makes sense with my install, can track it all with the video ( I think-smile ).

Big Smile

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 11:35 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

I am really, really happy to hear this. 

Excellent news Big Smile

Posts 33404
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 13 2012 12:07 PM

Greg Reader:
I thought the price was based on the actual resources I own, not the package name. Now I'm beginning to wonder ...

You are correct - it is based on what you own but setting the value of items sold in groups make the equation unclear to us on the outside.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 675
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2012 1:53 PM

BS:
I've decided that I won't be upgrading to Logos 5.  The broken promises surrounding the Logos 4 release (especially the pre-publication feature advertised as "coming soon" and it turning out to be over a year), and the Logos 5 marketing strategy have left a bad taste in my mouth.

In order to maintain the "platinum" package label I'd have to drop over $600, and not get anything I really want or need.  Sure, I would get a few books, but very little I'd even consider purchasing separately. 

Pretty much my sentiments too. I couldn't finish watching the Logos 5 marketing video because it upset me. The features it touted were the ones that I and the user community had been hoping for in Logos 4. In going from 3 to 4 Logos took out topic searching and promised it would be added which is was through a nearly useless back-door approach. Logos now wants me to spend over 400$ to go to Logos 5 to get that feature and a bunch of books that I don't need or want.

When Logos went from 3 to 4, there was a lot of discussion, trial versions we all put up with and contributed to. The upgrade costs were reasonable. Now Logos just dumped an email about why "everybody" is upgrading but the marketing material just doesn't convince me to shell out over $400.

I've owned the program almost since it's first release and been glad that I can use it to hold hundreds of books that won't fit in my small home, but I'm retired and can't afford the money Logos wants so it seems like my investment is shot.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 550
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2012 3:07 PM

Jim:

I've owned the program almost since it's first release and been glad that I can use it to hold hundreds of books that won't fit in my small home, but I'm retired and can't afford the money Logos wants so it seems like my investment is shot.

Me in a nutshell. The only analogy I can think of is buying a classic car 13 years ago at say- $2500.00. In the mean time as each year goes by the parts and work required to keep the car truly "classic" keep increasing in price so that you can no longer afford to keep it up to "classic car" status. The difference however is that one can get a better return on their investment when one decides to sell  the car than with Logos. If we all agree that Logos is a business, this analogy can be made. Of course it's imperfect but that's the best I could do. :)

Posts 5625
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2012 3:10 PM

Shawn Drewett:

Jim:

Me in a nutshell.

There is going to be a free program upgrade.  It's just not available yet.  Your investment is not shot.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2012 3:31 PM

Todd Phillips:

Shawn Drewett:

Jim:

Me in a nutshell.

There is going to be a free program upgrade.  It's just not available yet.  Your investment is not shot.

Don't waste your breath.  Shawn wouldn't be happy if he couldn't kvetch.  He's been doing it for years.  Hmm

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 550
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2012 4:37 PM

Jim, would you agree that our investment is not shot? 

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2012 4:50 PM

Shawn Drewett:

Jim, would you agree that our investment is not shot? 

Shawn!          *smile*            Peace to you and Jim!                                      Why would your investment be shot?

No matter what you had in your library, Logos will give you --- as per usual --- access to your resources that you've accumulated over the years.

Personally, if I were you, I'd cross-grade to Logos 5 for really powerful usuage; however, Logos will continue to support Logos 4.

We on these forums will most certainly give you a boost so that you have full and powerful usage of what you have purchased and accumulated over the years!                              Peace to you!                                                   and ...               Always Joy in the Lord!              *smile

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 550
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2012 5:14 PM

Thanks for your kind words Milford. I've just got a case ( and have had for a long time, right George?) of buyer's remorse. I am not a pastor or teacher though I like to study the bible. I am a person who has to be careful with each dollar I spend because I don't have much money to throw around. I have 3 small kids and my ministry is on a love offering basis only. I also want to be a good steward with the money God has given me.

Having said that, in March of 1999 I bought my first Logos product. If I'd known where the company was headed, i.e. to high end and more expensive software development, I would never have invested in Logos. I simply don't have the money to "keep up." What I mean by my investment being shot, (don't know what Jim means), is since I can't afford to upgrade,  my product continues to age and eventually will become (most likely) unsupported, and certainly will become an "undesired" product. Yes, I know about the free L5 engine but I also know about Logos 2.1. Anybody running that on a new computer? I am one of those guys who HATE to lose on an investment I've made. I feel I have lost because if I don't CONTINUE to invest, I will be left behind eventually. 

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2012 5:23 PM

Shawn, I will not belabour the point!                Please let me say, though, you do not have to invest.  Just use it.  Don't use 2.1, use 4.0 or 5.0 after the free cross-grade and you will truly never ever lose your resources.

I AM  assuming you have a few Bibles and devotional material that you've put together over the years.         Just use them, my young brother, and don't worry about where the world is going.

If you have an iPad, or a tablet, or an iPhone or whatever, use that free function also.

When you are traveling and on tour, you can log in to Biblia.com with your account no matter where you are. 

You may not have the world's largest Logos package, but methinks you probably have enough resources to strenthen and encourage your daily Christian Living as a young husband and father.

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 550
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2012 5:35 PM

Pretty wise words Milford! I am a father of young children but I was married (first time) at age 37 and am 46 now so I'm not sure if I still qualify as a young brother!Smile

I think your advice to not worry about the future and just enjoy the WORD is wise. If you're a pastor I'm sure you are an encouragement to your flock. 

On a totally different note, I'm still waiting for Gill's Commetaries. Don't know if they will EVER cross the production line! Patience, patience!

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2012 5:52 PM

Peace, Shawn!              Am a retired Lutheran Pastor; and my Pastor lets me preach now and again, for example 3 times coming up in Advent, Midweek, preaching on the hymn stanzas of "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel!"  ........

However, I've had some serious health issues the last number of months and have decided once again that I will live my Life for my Lord Jeus boldly and confidently ...

and try to do as our Lord Jesus did as and when He said, "

4 I must work the works of him that sent me, whilst it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work. "

And when He either comes for us or Calls us Home, then it will be a New Day!  So, sing it out, Young Shawn!         Sing it out!            *smile*     Sing it out!   Live and Share what He has done for us and for the world through His Death and Resurrection!

I am the resurrection and the life.4 Whoever believes in me,though he die, yet shall he live, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?"   27 She said to him, "Yes, Lord; I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who is coming into the world."

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2012 7:08 PM

Jim:
've owned the program almost since it's first release and been glad that I can use it to hold hundreds of books that won't fit in my small home, but I'm retired and can't afford the money Logos wants so it seems like my investment is shot.

I have purchased other Bible software and lost the resources as there was no free upgrade option. I HAD to buy new it it wouldn't even load on a newer computer. That happened twice with other Bible software companies. I have appreciated the stance of Logos in allowing a free upgrade.

I do intend to buy at least a cross-grade. Retirement is not that many years away and I trust that policy continues. I have no backup hard copy library. I had to give it away due to the cost of shipping.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2012 7:19 PM

Shawn Drewett:
I simply don't have the money to "keep up." What I mean by my investment being shot, (don't know what Jim means), is since I can't afford to upgrade,  my product continues to age and eventually will become (most likely) unsupported, and certainly will become an "undesired" product. Yes, I know about the free L5 engine but I also know about Logos 2.1. Anybody running that on a new computer? I am one of those guys who HATE to lose on an investment I've made. I feel I have lost because if I don't CONTINUE to invest, I will be left behind eventually. 

It doesn't actually cost even 1¢ to "keep up."  You can download the free engine when it is finally offered and will have (so I've heard) a better experience than with L4.  If you desire the new features, you can purchase the minimal crossgrade.  If you want other resources, they will cost.

george
gfsomsel

Page 10 of 13 (250 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last » | RSS