Matt. 23:4 and My Logos Program

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3
Msgr. Jeffrey Steenson | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:05 PM

In conjunction with the concerns being raised about the upgrade issues for Logos 5, I would like to send this modest appeal.  The Logos program has become so huge and complicated, I dread opening it.  There seems always to be some massive upgrade to be downloaded, and then the indexing commands so much of the computer resources.  I find that I tend to use Laridian more often now,   It is not necessary to have a vast library at my fingertips but the books that I use.

Please make it simpler and more elegant! 

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:13 PM

I certainly understand the indexing and all. Having tested L4 and now L5 I've indexed more than most. :-)

Jeffrey Steenson:
Please make it simpler and more elegant! 
This is one of those great requests that's hard to put a finger on. The answer may be "no" but... have you got any specific ideas?

Otherwise, I agree that Simple is always better. Many users never get past "enter the passage and click go" and you know what? That's still a pretty in depth way to study. So don't ignore the power of that home page box.  

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 98
Joshua Coady | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:27 PM

What about having a way to flag books that we dont want indexed or updated because we never use them. For an iOS analogy, there are some apps on my iPad that I have chosen to remove so they no longer take up resources because I no longer need them. At some point in the future, if I decided I needed an app again, I can go into my list of apps that I own, but dont currently have installed, find it and then install it and it is now available for use (and again taking up resources). In this way I am easily able to determine how a finite set of resources are used. I would love to be able to do the same thing with Logos -- remove the clutter.

Posts 3
Msgr. Jeffrey Steenson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:43 PM

Thanks so much for your speedy reply. I guess that I have been putting off for too long the need to go to a Morris Proctor seminar! I'm one of those who don't like to read the manual, but Logos is too complicated for intuition.

One of the things I really should do is to learn how to manage the library better.  I would like to remove a ton of stuff that I don't use and have a more manageable bookshelf at hand that I know and trust.  Let the rest stay on your servers rather than my computer.

I get really frustrated with the iPad app too. The general index is unfriendly for browsing.  Navigation is difficult.

My last enjoyable research experiences were with Version 3. 

How about a Logos Lite with an a la carte menu?!  Or could I exclude all texts written after Gregory the Great?!

Many blessings!

Posts 98
Joshua Coady | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:53 PM

I was actually referring to apps on the ipad as an analogy to how I would like to be able to handle books in logos on the desktop (not talking about the logos ipad app).

You can remove the clutter in your library list. It wont stop books from updating or being indexed, but you can make them a hidden resource.

Open up the logos program settings pane and look at the very bottom for a hidden resources section. Expand that and there is a list there (might be empty). Leave that someplace where you can still see it and then open up your library list and start dragging and dropping books in your library into this hidden resources list. Books you put here will not show up in the logos library list any more. If you accidentally put a book there that you want available or you decide later you want to start using one, then you can easily remove it from the list by mousing over and clicking the x button next to the name in the list.

Feature request: It would be nice if resources added to this list were no longer indexed or updated until removed from the list.

Posts 3
Msgr. Jeffrey Steenson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:56 PM

Thanks for the tip, Joshua!  And your request is a very good one.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:58 PM

Joshua Coady:
What about having a way to flag books that we dont want indexed or updated because we never use them.

That's been possible for as long as I've used Logos. It's called 'hiding'. Search for it in the Wiki. I'm a bit too busy to do it for you right now.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 4:01 PM

Didn't see your later post.

Joshua Coady:
It wont stop books from updating or being indexed

Yes, it will.

Joshua Coady:
start dragging and dropping books in your library into this hidden resources list

You don't need to do that anymore. Look in the Wiki.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 98
Joshua Coady | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 4:01 PM

fgh:

Joshua Coady:
What about having a way to flag books that we dont want indexed or updated because we never use them.

That's been possible for as long as I've used Logos. It's called 'hiding'. Search for it in the Wiki. I'm a bit too busy to do it for you right now.

I knew you can hide and I use that, but I was not aware that hidden books were no longer indexed or updated?!? If that is the case I need to go do some more extensive hiding :)

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 4:02 PM

Deleted. Duplicate post.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS