Serioiusly confused

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 196
Dan Pogue | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 3 2012 9:07 PM

I think I will like what the L5 engine does for Logos.  I have the platninum package with other resources that I have purchased over the years.  I have no idea what syntax is, have no idea what all this software can accomplish.  Just looking at the price of 683.00 to keep platinum for alot more books that I have no use for is not being a good steward in my humble opinion.  I have no idea how the database works, but just lookng at the post I need some set of databases to keep everything running smoothly. 

I realize that I dont have to upgrade/crossgrade...my question I guess really is...will I be able to use the clause search method by just getting the L5 engine?  If not what databases will I need?  Ignorance with software is not bliss and I dont want to spend money on what I dont need (more books)  what I do want is more efficient study for someone as simple minded as I.

Blessings,

danp

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 9:15 PM

Hi Dan,

Let me just share an example about the Clause Search. I'm taking a class on spiritual gift at my church, and we were going to look at people in the Bible who had our spiritual gift. One person I wanted to look at was Timothy. Using the search person:Timothy in the clause search the results were very helpful. In a normal search I could have searched for Timothy, but it would have only brought back where Timothy's name was used. Clause searching has tagged beyond that. It brings back results where a pronoun is used. Not just the pronoun "he" for Timothy. In places where Timothy was present and part of a group and he would be mentioned as part of a "we" those were brought back as well.

That's something normal search cannot do. All of that was hand tagged by people at Logos. I think if you don't want any new resources then the crossgrade would get you these new features. 

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 9:23 PM

Dan  ... if you absolutely want the clause search 'now' then sign up for the silver which also adds some books to your platinum. Elsewise wait a bit and see what Bob the Logos CEO offers in a while. The latter is your best bet.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 9146
LogosEmployee

Dan Pogue:

Just looking at the price of 683.00 to keep platinum for alot more books

You will not "lose" Platinum if you don't upgrade to Platinum v5. As you surmised, the cost is primarily for the new resources in the Logos 5 collection that is called "Platinum". If you upgrade to Starter or Bronze, you still keep all Platinum resources and features from Logos 4.

Dan Pogue:

will I be able to use the clause search method by just getting the L5 engine?  If not what databases will I need?

No, you will not. As an analogy, Logos 4 includes a Bible Search engine, but you also need to buy Bibles for it to search.

Logos 5 contains the Clause Search engine, but it requires databases that contain the clause tagging. These are currently in Silver and above. However, there will also be a "minimal crossgrade" that is likely to contain these data sets; see here for more details: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/58259.aspx

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 10:02 PM

This may have been asked elsewhere, but I haven't seen it yet:

Do some or all of the new data sets (specifically the Bible Sense Lexicon) require resources that have been specifically tagged for certain functions?  In other words, if we purchase a crossgrade without any new resources, will some of the new features not work?

If specific tagging is required, is there a plan to update older resources to make use of the new features?  I would assume so, but just thought I would ask.

"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell."  -  Beyond Our Suffering - AILD

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 10:26 PM

From the above citation:

"The Minimal Crossgrade is being configured, but we expect it will contain all/most of the unique new data sets (Timeline, Bible Facts, Clause Database, Bible Sense Lexicon, Phrases, Preaching Themes, Thematic Outlines, etc.). Some Logos 5 features only "light-up" or add value when specific books are present, and we're figuring out which ones should be included in this crossgrade."

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS