How to compare My Logos 4 to Logos 5

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3
Matt Anderson | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 6 2012 6:13 AM

I am having a hard time comparing between the old version names (I have the Scholar edition on Logos 4) and the new version names (Bronze, Silver, etc).  Is there somewhere that has a feature and content comparison between Logos 4 and Logos 5?

Thank you in advance.

Logos 4 Fan

Posts 117
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 6:17 AM

Matt Anderson:

I am having a hard time comparing between the old version names (I have the Scholar edition on Logos 4) and the new version names (Bronze, Silver, etc).  Is there somewhere that has a feature and content comparison between Logos 4 and Logos 5?

Thank you in advance.

Logos 4 Fan

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhAl790TopkhdHNsTnRLY1A2RU9OY3pDNHdqTHVpQ3c#gid=2

Posts 3
Matt Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 6:24 AM

Thank you!!!

Posts 10832
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 7:12 AM

Matt Anderson:
I am having a hard time comparing between the old version names

Best to not worry about that and simply look for the L5 package that best meets your needs/wants/lusts Big Smile

Oh yes, and your wallet Big Smile My lust would be for Portfolio plus, but my wallet said much less,

Posts 196
Dan Pogue | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 8:21 AM

Amen to that one Jack!!!

Posts 142
John Hapgood | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 21 2013 9:34 AM

There's Gold (ND) and Gold (LE) and I cant remember what the difference of them is other than the price. Dose the spreadsheet cover the Gold (LE)?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 21 2013 10:11 AM

John Hapgood:

There's Gold (ND) and Gold (LE) and I cant remember what the difference of them is other than the price. Dose the spreadsheet cover the Gold (LE)?

ND was a Libronix 3 maintenance update to QC => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/28219/208946.aspx#208946 that predates forum discussions.

Looking at Logos 3.0 did not see comments for maintenance changes.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 142
John Hapgood | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 21 2013 12:45 PM

Thanks, that helps.

What I actually came to the forums looking for was a comparison review of the program rather than the packages. I still find myself using LDS 3 because I hate waiting that long for Logos 4 which, on top of loading slow, always wants to update and re-index which slows my computer down so I finally just disabled updates but it updated today anyway.

Posts 6725
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 21 2013 1:12 PM

John Hapgood:
I still find myself using LDS 3 because I hate waiting that long for Logos 4 which, on top of loading slow, always wants to update and re-index

If you have an operating system later than Windows XP upgrade to the free L5. Logos only updates when new patches are released, and we have not had one for a while. Sounds like a call to tech support may be in order.

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 9521
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 21 2013 1:26 PM

John Hapgood:
on top of loading slow, always wants to update and re-index which slows my computer down

As Lynden suggested, L5 is a bit quicker than L4 but you do have control in either L4 or L5 over when updates are downloaded automatically, if at all. Check Program Settings in either version and look under the section called Internet.

I have not had this daily update problem, but if I was bothered by it I would probably select to have updates downloaded at midnight or just manually update by issuing the command Update Now in the command bar whenever I had time. You probably know most resource updates are about tagging or spelling so aren't critical. Program updates are usually not produced even weekly, so shouldn't cause more than a restart of Logos occasionally.

Speed is relative to your hardware. Having 4 or more GB of RAM (more with a 64 bit operating system), a fast HD (7200 RPM) and a more recent processor does help. Not everyone can have these things. My computer is pretty fast and indexing does not bog things down so much that i can't get other work done. Of course, you can always pause indexing for 4 hour periods if you need to.

While you may not be interested, I'd give L5 a try if you have a computer that is 2-3 years old or newer running Vista, Win 7, Win 8, or something recent from Apple.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 142
John Hapgood | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 21 2013 3:29 PM

Well, after that long update and indexing that took most of the morning, I now see there is yet another 254MB update already. I guess I'll download it to see if there is yet another one after this and call support tomorrow if there is.

Posts 6725
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 21 2013 3:57 PM

John Hapgood:

Well, after that long update and indexing that took most of the morning, I now see there is yet another 254MB update already. I guess I'll download it to see if there is yet another one after this and call support tomorrow if there is.

Sounds as if you have not updated for a while.

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 21 2013 4:26 PM

John Hapgood:
What I actually came to the forums looking for was a comparison review of the program rather than the packages.

Wiki => http://wiki.logos.com/Upgrade_or_Crossgrade has Logos 4 and 5 feature comparison.

Logos 5 added a number of new features to Logos 4 along with performance improvements.

Compared to Libronix 3, Logos 5 and 4 are resource intensive applications that benefit from fast processor, graphics, and quick storage along with adequate memory; Solid State Disk (SSD) is noticeably faster than hard disk.  Personally pondering upgrade to 4th Generation Intel Core i7, possibly later this year.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9521
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 22 2013 5:02 AM

John Hapgood:

Remember that if it gets annoying you do have some control over the downloading.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS