Scholars Gold upgrade Logos 3 on XP Pro machine to Logos 4 on Win 7

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5
Mark Frye | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 7 2012 8:53 AM

I am finally getting around to upgrading/moving my Logos 3 Scholars Gold on XP-Pro machine to Logos 4 on Win7 Pro (64-bit) machine.  In Jan 2012 I received the Logos 4 Gold Library DVD.  Can an "upgrade" be performed on the new Win7 Pro machine as a new install then upgrade/migration of the Logos 3 data files from the XP-Pro machine to the Win 7 machine.

Thank you...

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 9:02 AM

Mark Frye:

I am finally getting around to upgrading/moving my Logos 3 Scholars Gold on XP-Pro machine to Logos 4 on Win7 Pro (64-bit) machine.  In Jan 2012 I received the Logos 4 Gold Library DVD.  Can an "upgrade" be performed on the new Win7 Pro machine as a new install then upgrade/migration of the Logos 3 data files from the XP-Pro machine to the Win 7 machine.

Thank you...

it sounds like you have previously installed L4 on a Win XP machine right? If that is the case and you have already imported the L3 stuff you want into L4 than your documents have been synced to the servers. Which means you can simply install L4 onto your shiny new system and your settings and documents will be synchronized to your Win 7 system.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 2041
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 9:05 AM

Yeah You can. Just put the DVD in the drive. If You have synced (had internet connection and restarted Logos, with Use Internet set to Yes in Tools - Program Settings) recently, Your notes and highlightings have been backed up. Titles that are not on the DVD will be downloaded.

Or wait for the free Logos 5 engine, or the minimal crossgrade before You install, if You want to - that'll be aproximately two weeks from now. The minimal crossgrade or upgrading or downgrading the base package is necessary only if You want more of the Logos 5 features than You get with just the free engine. Upgrade options can be found at: http://www.logos.com/upgrade ... the price is dynamic and depends on what You already own. (Catholic base-packages can be found at: http://www.logos.com/verbum.) There used to be also a Women's Library base-package  which doesn't seem to be offered anymore.

Even if You downgrade, which I suggest You do, You don't loose any of Your old items.

The contents of the new Logos 5 base-packages are not necessarily the same as what the names imply if You are thinking of the Logos 4 base-packages.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 12

Posts 5
Mark Frye | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 9:17 AM

No...the XP-Pro install is still at Logos3 Scholars Gold level (plus some extra titles).  Are you suggesting the best path would be to do the upgrade on the XP-Pro maching then an install on the WIn-7-Pro machine?

Thank you for the quick response.

Posts 2041
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 9:19 AM

No You just need to sync the old machine first, that's all. (If You haven't done that.)

Mark Frye:
No...the XP-Pro install is still at Logos3 Scholars Gold level (plus some extra titles).  Are you suggesting the best path would be to do the upgrade on the XP-Pro maching then an install on the WIn-7-Pro machine?

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 5
Mark Frye | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 9:25 AM

Regarding the free Logos 5 engine, would that option keep my existing Logos 3 Scolars Gold (and other) titles, just omitting new Logos 5 specific content?  While the Logos 5 upgrade price in my case ($490.90) is likly good, it is not an option right now particularly with the election results and my expectations regarding corresponding job outlooks due to that.

Thank you so much for the quick response and identification of the Logos 5 option.

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 9:39 AM

Mark Frye:

Thank you for the quick response.

You have an option here. 

Syncing in L3 will only sync your licenses. 

You could install L4 next to L3 on the XP machine and sync up all of the documents that it imports during the upgrade process.

OR BETTER:

Just install L4 on the new machine, make a copy of the Logos documents folder under "My Documents" and put it in the "same" spot on your Win 7 machine. THEN typing Import All in the command box of the L4 machine will cause those documents to be brought in.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 2041
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 9:49 AM

Hmm, I didn't know that:

TCBlack:
Syncing in L3 will only sync your licenses.
Yeah, basically. If You neither upgrade nor downgrade and just install the free engine, You don't get all the functionality - but that's only a problem if You actually need those functionalities. From the following link You can see advice that I got today regarding Greek: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/58953/419722.aspx#419722
Mark Frye:
Regarding the free Logos 5 engine, would that option keep my existing Logos 3 Scolars Gold (and other) titles, just omitting new Logos 5 specific content?

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 5
Mark Frye | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:33 AM

Regarding your "OR BETTER" options:

(1) In my Logos 3 Scholars Gold install menu Tools > Options > Resource Paths, is your "My Documents" referring to my install setting "C:\Documents and Settings\Mark Frye\My Documents\Libronic DLS". 

(2) Under my Win7 Pro must the "same" spot be a user area or can an alternate non-user folder be used, e.g., "E:\Logos4\Libronic_DLS", then registered.

Posts 2041
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:35 AM

I don't know. All I know is that L5 has to be installed on an internal disk.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 5
Mark Frye | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:53 AM

My "Regarding your "OR BETTER" options" was related to the Logos 3 to Logos 4 migration process listed, not for Logos 5.

Posts 2041
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:59 AM

Yeah I know, but I'm not entirely sure about the answer to Your question. Hope someone will help You! There is a more relevant forum where You could post Your question, they might know: Logos 3/Libronix

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 7:44 PM

Mark Frye:
Under my Win7 Pro must the "same" spot be a user area or can an alternate non-user folder be used, e.g., "E:\Logos4\Libronic_DLS", then registered.

Welcome Big Smile

On a Windows 7 laptop with Internet Explorer 9 patch applied for Libronix 3.0g, have custom Resource Path of M:\Libronix DLS\Resources that matches custom installation into the M: drive (medium speed).  Logos 4 is installed on the C:\ drive for one user account while Logos 5 in installed in an F:\ drive partition (fast).

A thread includes replies => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/24555/295749.aspx#295749 and => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/24555/295852.aspx#295852

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 27922
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 10:06 PM

Quote "Just install L4 on the new machine, make a copy of the Logos documents folder under "My Documents" and put it in the "same" spot on your Win 7 machine. THEN typing Import All in the command box of the L4 machine will cause those documents to be brought in."

Mark Frye:
(1) In my Logos 3 Scholars Gold install menu Tools > Options > Resource Paths, is your "My Documents" referring to my install setting "C:\Documents and Settings\Mark Frye\My Documents\Libronic DLS". 

Yes, but that is where your Logos 3 user documents (Notes, Verse Lists, etc) are stored.

Mark Frye:
(2) Under my Win7 Pro must the "same" spot be a user area or can an alternate non-user folder be used, e.g., "E:\Logos4\Libronic_DLS", then registered.

The suggestion was to copy the above \Libronix DLS folder into your \My Documents folder on Windows 7 so they can be imported into L4 without having to install Logos 3 - that happens to be a feature of L4 for your convenience, but you must use that folder path.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 27922
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 10:09 PM

Mark Frye:
In Jan 2012 I received the Logos 4 Gold Library DVD. 

Don't use that DVD as you will have problems trying to install such an old version + many of the resources will have been updated since January. Use the web link.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS