Wow! Logos 5 Does not work with Windows XP!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 132
Bill Stevener | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 9 2012 5:04 AM

I saw a while ago Logos made the decision to stop support for Windows XP, but it didn't hit me until I saw in one of the comments that Logos 5 would not work with Windows XP! I checked the system requirements for verification.

I have a MacBook Pro running Apple's latest Lion or Mountain Lion, whatever that cat is, a laptop running Vista, an iPhone and an iPad, but my main working machine still runs Windows XP (I don't like MicroSoft's habit of changing things for the sake of change, nor their habit of excluding old hardware with new software releases). 

I guess Logos 4 is where I stop, at least for the foreseeable future.

Posts 12573
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 5:12 AM

Bill,

yes, you are right, L5 doesn't work on XP, due to Microsoft not supporting .NET 4 for XP. This framework is used in L5 and provides (so we hear) many good things that people asked for from L4, including some speed enhancements.

If L4 does all you need, then fine - Logos is supporting L4 for the foreseeable future and a new beta for 4.6b has been recently announced. On the other hand, since you are using a Mac and a Vista machine, from what others tell I'd expect L5 to run much snappier on both - Logos wouldn't try to update the XP box and that will stay on L4.

OT I'm wondering why you put this into the iPhone forum - the mobile apps have their own releases and according to everything we are told are not affected by whether you run L4 or L5.

Mick  

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 132
Bill Stevener | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 6:16 AM

I just realized this is probably not the right forum for this comment. I use my iPad and Logos a lot and spend a lot of time watching comments in this forum. I probably should have checked or been in the windows forum.

Posts 12573
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 6:19 AM

No harm done, Bill.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 30658
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 8:34 AM

Bill Stevener:

Why? Install L5 (when the free engine comes out) onto your Mac. When you upgrade your PC, you can update that then too.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 52
LogosEmployee
Mike Hanson (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 8:52 AM

Bill Stevener:

I just realized this is probably not the right forum for this comment. I use my iPad and Logos a lot and spend a lot of time watching comments in this forum. I probably should have checked or been in the windows forum.

Not a problem, I moved it for you.

Posts 2849
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 9:24 AM

And it's not like XP running L4 is such an awful thing. Six months ago, a whole lot of people saw nothing wrong with that and it's still true. I haven't made up my mind as to repurposing my XP box. I think it might run ok on a Win 8 update.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 13
Rev. Shelby Gemmen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 4:03 PM

Bill,

I did some searching, and it appears that Windows .net 4 CAN be installed on Windows XP. Does that mean Logos 5 can be installed on Windows XP?

(See here for proof http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29836#system-requirements)

Thoughts?

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 5:00 PM

Mark S. mentioned in another thread Logos needs .NET 4.5, not .NET 4. .NET 4 runs on XP, .NET 4.5 doesn't.

You need Vista or later for L5.

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 196
Dan Pogue | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 5:16 PM

I have a dual boot on this computer of Windows 7 and Windows XP Pro.  Last night I ran L4 on the XP side and it installed all the new library and opened up the same as it was synced on Windows 7.  The program however still sees itself as L4 and will run like that.  I did not do any further testing, may do that in the future.  Not sure if this helps anyone, more of an FYI...

danp

Posts 9200
LogosEmployee

Bill Stevener:

While the Logos 5 software is required to access the new datasets and features (e.g., Timeline, Bible Sense Lexicon, roots, etc.) in the Logos 5 upgrades, the vast majority of the resources available in the Logos 5 base packages are still readable by Logos 4 and will download automatically to Logos 4 if you buy a Logos 5 base package upgrade.

The "launch period" (through the end of the year at least, not sure if it will continue further) is when we offer the biggest discounts on upgrading to a Logos 5 base package. You may wish to look at your upgrade options and determine if any Logos 5 base packages have resources you're interested in, and whether it would be worth upgrading just for the resources alone. (As I mentioned, they will all download and install into Logos 4.6a.) Then, if you do ever upgrade your main computer, you can update to Logos 5 and start using its new features.

The only option not worth considering is the "Logos 5 Minimal Crossgrade". This primarily adds datasets and features only usable by Logos 5, so it wouldn't be worth considering if your primary computer can't run Logos 5.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS