Word List Example

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 178
DavidS | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 14 2012 8:52 AM

I did a word list for the Synoptics and for John. I then did a "Merge" of the two, with Synoptics "word List" open and chose John and used difference. This gives the words that are in the Synoptics and not in John. I found it interesting that pray is not in John.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2012 9:14 AM

DavidS:
I found it interesting that pray is not in John.

It is. Many times. He just uses other Greek synonyms. But it's a good idea about how to use word lists.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 178
DavidS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2012 9:34 AM

Not in NRSV.

Posts 5637
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2012 11:09 AM

DavidS:
Not in NRSV.

The only time "pray" is in the ESV is

John 17:9 I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours.

But a different Greek word is used than the one in the difference list: ἐρωτῶ, and that is more often translated as "ask" (as it is in the NRSV).

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 178
DavidS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2012 1:58 PM

It seems like in John ἐρωτάω is more like ask, as if to ask another person. Where προσεύχομαι in the Synoptics is used seems to mean to pray unto God. In John each occurrence is Jesus talking to His Father.  As we might ask something of our earthly fathers. Anyway this new feature gave me insight I would have not gotten with our it. 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS