Lexham Bible Guides Over-priced?

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 1053
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 17 2012 12:18 AM

With Paul's Letters along it costs 419.95, I can't imagine how much it would costs for the whole Bible. Does it really need to be that expensive?

And I can't imagine why this is not included in any of the base packages. Even Logos can't get a deal from Logos to include it in a base package?

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 1:33 AM

I've been curious about the price as well.  I've jumped into prepub with the Lexham Bible Guide: Jonah to test the waters, unless Logos might shed some more light on how these guides work.

My understanding is that these resources take some of the legwork out of familiarizing yourself with relevant resources in your library.  It probably also introduces you to "potential resources" for further study. 

Posts 1002
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 4:52 AM

After reading this I went to check my order:

I was not as diligent in following up with what's new in Pre-pub.  I ordered Gen 1-11 some time back, just received notification few days ago that it is going to ship. However, I am not aware the 2vols is in pre-pub, so going to changing my order before it shipped.

JK

MacBookPro Retina 15" Late 2013 2.6GHz RAM:16GB SSD:500GB macOS Sierra 10.12.3 | iPhone 7 Plus iOS 10.2.1

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 5:51 AM

Paul ... obviously you're not familiar with what happens when you 'jump in the waters' with Jonah. Luckily Leviathans typically don't digest wallets.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 10:21 AM

Over-priced?  I've written my views at http://community.logos.com/forums/p/59989/426615.aspx.  The thread is titled How to Save Yourself Hundreds of Dollars, which clearly indicates whether I think they are worth it...

Posts 138
Michael Grigoni | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2012 10:25 AM

Thanks for your feedback. In light of the comments, I’d like to offer some thoughts on the Lexham Bible Guides and why they’re valuable for Logos users. Lexham Bible Guides perform research on biblical material for you by offering a curated and annotated set of links to the most relevant content in the Logos library. True to their name, they serve as a “guide,” not only to particular biblical books, but also to the vast territory of your digital library. The Lexham Bible Guides are designed to save you time by introducing and summarizing significant issues in the biblical text, and by leading you to the most relevant discussion of these issues in other resources. Most fundamentally, the Lexham Bible Guides help you take advantage of the interconnectivity of Logos’ software. They’re designed to maximize the potential of Logos’ core software engine, and there really isn’t anything comparable to them on the market. The Lexham Bible Guides are written with the features and interconnectivity of Logos’ software in mind. We’ve established the current prices based on delivering this kind of value.

Posts 1359
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2012 10:28 AM

Mike Grigoni:
I’d like to offer some thoughts on what we hope these resources to achieve for customers, and why we think they’re valuable for Logos users. Lexham Bible Guides perform research on biblical material for you by offering a curated and annotated set of links to the most relevant content available in the Logos library.

Who is your target market for this series?

On one level, they seem very "introductory", but they are linked to some high-end resources that someone looking for introductory material would not have in their library.

Posts 280
Mark Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2012 10:40 AM

I have the Ephesians guide and I agree with your question and observations Edwin.   There seems to be an unusual mix going on.   All the guide seems to be doing for me, who has most of the resources in my library, is possibily saving me time.  But I am not sure that it is doing that because I do not know what the Lexham criteria for "relevant" is (which takes one back to the question of the target market).

Posts 138
Michael Grigoni | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2012 11:01 AM

Edwin Bowden:

On one level, they seem very "introductory", but they are linked to some high-end resources that someone looking for introductory material would not have in their library.

Edwin, thanks for your question. You’re correct—the Lexham Bible Guides contain links to high-end resources. We’re doing our best to ensure that as we do our curation, that we include links to resources that you might find in less expensive base packages to ensure that the Lexham Bible Guides are useful to a broad range of customers. That being said, oftentimes the most relevant resources are higher-end commentaries because of their comprehensive treatment of issues. Consulting these commentaries with the commentary provided by the Lexham Bible Guides should provide users with enough context to benefit from reading these more challenging resources. Given this, there’s an aspirational quality to the Lexham Bible Guides.

Posts 9528
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2012 11:08 AM

Mike Grigoni:
That being said, oftentimes the most relevant resources are higher-end commentaries because of their comprehensive treatment of issues.

And I think the point has already been made that someone who owns these commentaries probably doesn't need help in using them to discover relevant issues. If I own these commentaries I should be able to provide the context for understanding them. So once again, who, exactly is the target market?

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 55
LogosEmployee
Miles Custis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2012 11:11 AM

Edwin Bowden:

Who is your target market for this series?

Edwin and Mark:

Our target market is the busy pastor, bible study teacher, or bible student who wants to get a grasp on different issues within the text but does not have time to read through 10 different commentaries to see what they say or does not own a variety of commentaries. The Lexham Bible Guides are meant to answer the question: What are the main interpretive issues in this passage and how do people resolve them? Their advantage is that they save time because we do the research for you.

By “relevant content” we mean resources that give a full representation of the various interpretations for a specific passage. It is often the “high-end” commentaries that give the best arguments for or against a specific interpretation, so we often try to summarize their arguments. We provide links so you can choose to go explore what these commentaries say in detail (if you own them) or just read our annotations to get a grasp of the issues involved and how some of the top scholars resolve them.

Posts 1359
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2012 11:14 AM

Mike Grigoni:
Consulting these commentaries with the commentary provided by the Lexham Bible Guides should provide users with enough context to benefit from reading these more challenging resources. Given this, there’s an aspirational quality to the Lexham Bible Guides.

I bought the Ephesians volume to check out the series, but was unimpressed. I haven't seen anyone's posts saying that they were happy with the content/price. 

At this point, I think I will stick with the FaithLife Study Bible, which uses a similar concept. It is currently free and the LBG's are very high priced for the oriignal content that they deliver.

Posts 9528
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2012 11:24 AM

Miles Custis:

Edwin and Mark:

Our target market is the busy pastor, bible study teacher, or bible student who wants to get a grasp on different issues within the text but does not have time to read through 10 different commentaries to see what they say or does not own a variety of commentaries.

I'm a busy pastor but can't imagine these appealing to me. I am not in your target group, I guess. Hopefully you will find enough folks who are.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 484
Travis Walter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2012 11:35 AM

"Busy pastor, bible study teacher, or bible student" seems to contradict with a very high dollar value set.  Also referring to high dollar commentaries seems out of place.  I think the market research for this set is invalid, or the price point is invalid.  Or both.

A set with a bunch of links to other sets???   Tongue Tied

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2012 11:44 AM

Why not save us more time and write the sermons for us ? Devil

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2012 2:03 PM

Evan Boardman:

Why not save us more time and write the sermons for us ? Devil

See Sermons.Logos.com, SermonCentral.com and SermonAudio.com, each linked through the Passage Guide.  Wink

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2012 2:41 PM

Andrew Baguley:

Evan Boardman:

See Sermons.Logos.com, SermonCentral.com and SermonAudio.com, each linked through the Passage Guide.  Wink

Thats just wrong!Surprise

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2012 3:27 AM

Evan Boardman:

Andrew Baguley:

Evan Boardman:

Thats just wrong!Surprise

Does that mean you don't want to be able to sort/search them on intended audience, geographical location, demographic, theology, denomination, etc. so you can find the right one more easily?  Big Smile

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2012 3:29 AM

Andrew Baguley:

Does that mean you don't want to be able to sort/search them on intended audience, geographical location, demographic, theology, denomination, etc. so you can find the right one more easily?  Big Smile

And how long will it be until we get high quality videos, as well as audio, PowerPoint, notes and script?

Posts 769
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 7:06 PM

Mike Grigoni:

Thanks for your feedback. In light of the comments, I’d like to offer some thoughts on the Lexham Bible Guides and why they’re valuable for Logos users. Lexham Bible Guides perform research on biblical material for you by offering a curated and annotated set of links to the most relevant content in the Logos library. True to their name, they serve as a “guide,” not only to particular biblical books, but also to the vast territory of your digital library. The Lexham Bible Guides are designed to save you time by introducing and summarizing significant issues in the biblical text, and by leading you to the most relevant discussion of these issues in other resources. Most fundamentally, the Lexham Bible Guides help you take advantage of the interconnectivity of Logos’ software. They’re designed to maximize the potential of Logos’ core software engine, and there really isn’t anything comparable to them on the market. The Lexham Bible Guides are written with the features and interconnectivity of Logos’ software in mind. We’ve established the current prices based on delivering this kind of value.

You know I have been one of the biggest defenders of Logos when they have really taken a beating but this time I can't. The pricing on these resources is ridiculous and for no substantive content it just borders on seeming greedy to me. I am really put off by this whole thing.

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS