Can you add a specific collection to the shortcut bar?

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 26 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 23 2011 1:10 PM

By the way here is the thread when (ahem) I mentioned this workaround back in Feb. 

Unwanted Unnamed Collection - Logos Bible Software Forums

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 9528
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 23 2011 1:26 PM

Tim Engwer:
Someone else might have to chime in on this one

OK. It works for me. I 'discovered' this a while back and had already used it. I deleted the menu items but still had the collections as favorites so moved one back on the menu bar and it worked fine.

This 'trick' of moving first to Favorites and then to the Menu bar works for another tool: Text Comparison. If you have a couple different sets of Bibles you want to use you can set one up, drag it to Favorites and the set of Bibles will be remembered. You can then drag it to the Menu bar and when you click on it it will run Text Comparison with the Bibles you had when you moved it to Favorites. You can have more than one such shortcut for different sets of Bibles. (Note that if you drag Text Comparison to the Menu bar directly it will forget the set you had and open TC with the last set you used.)

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 23 2011 5:12 PM

Jerry M:

alabama24:

Jerry - If you had one, I would buy it. Stick out tongue

I have a Mac manual and actually was considering one, but as each year goes by it gets harder to teach an old dog new tricks.

Old dogs can learn new tricks; takes lots and lots of practice.  On a Mac, have learned to try simple way to do something, often works.  In contrast, Windows tends to have more step(s) to accomplish same task (ongoing effect from a look and feel lawsuit many years ago); also Microsoft tweaks user interface much more often than Apple.  For example, Apple's system preferences are easier to find many relevant settings vis Windows control panels.  Caveat: Logos 4 currently has more usable features on Windows; wiki Mac and PC User Interface Differences => Feature Parity includes many Logos 4 features needing improvement on Mac.

Wiki Logos 4 Mac => Mini FAQ includes:

New to Mac OS X?

Apple has Mac OS X Applications and Utilities plus hundreds of How-To Tutorials. Apple Support includes Mac 101Switch 101 and Keyboard shortcuts. For OS X Lion, Apple Support includes Recovery (with how to install on a new drive)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 23 2011 9:36 PM

Mark Smith:
This 'trick' of moving first to Favorites and then to the Menu bar works for another tool: Text Comparison.

Mark , I like this idea.  Another way to accomplish this fairly easily is to number the name of your different Bible collections that you use for Text Comparison.  This will put them at the top of the collections.  Then when you open as many Text Comparisons that you like, if you click in the search window and the drop down appears, your Bible collections will appear at the top to choose from.  You can set up two or three Text Comparisons with different sets of Bibles fairly quickly this way.  Seems like there is always more than one way to do a task in Logos.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 24 2011 12:18 AM

Mark Smith:

Tim Engwer:
Someone else might have to chime in on this one

OK. It works for me. I 'discovered' this a while back and had already used it. I deleted the menu items but still had the collections as favorites so moved one back on the menu bar and it worked fine.

This 'trick' of moving first to Favorites and then to the Menu bar works for another tool: Text Comparison. If you have a couple different sets of Bibles you want to use you can set one up, drag it to Favorites and the set of Bibles will be remembered. You can then drag it to the Menu bar and when you click on it it will run Text Comparison with the Bibles you had when you moved it to Favorites. You can have more than one such shortcut for different sets of Bibles. (Note that if you drag Text Comparison to the Menu bar directly it will forget the set you had and open TC with the last set you used.)

Mark, that is absolutely incredible!                  Thank you!                   I also found out that when I float my Text Comparison and keep it in the background, every time I change a passage in my favourite Bible that the Text Comparison picks it up automatically.

...by using Alt-Tab, I can arrive there quite quickly should I so desire!                         *smile*

Jonah 4:11

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 191
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 13 2012 10:22 AM

For me, my Perseus collection pops up when I use the 'drag from favorites to shortcut bar' trick. The trick doesn't work on my Mac..

I'm curious, isn't this considered a bug? I'd love to JOIN books together permanently come to think of it, does Logos have a way to do that? Why multiple volumes on a computer.. as if the books are too large to hold? That makes sense in real books, but why would anyone do that for a computer?

For instance, to be able to copy and paste better I just bought vol1 and vol2 of Salt Cellars - can anyone show me how to join these two resources? ..all of my multi-volume works, I'd love to join into just one resource for use!

PS - so for now, I'll just put both volumes of SC on my shortcut bar - there doesn't seem to be an easier way 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 13 2012 1:47 PM

Jacques:
For me, my Perseus collection pops up when I use the 'drag from favorites to shortcut bar' trick. The trick doesn't work on my Mac..

Curious about Logos 4 Mac version ? albeit may want to discuss in Logos 4 Mac forum instead of Logos 4 Windows forum

Also wonder what collection was open when Favorites shortcut was created ?

Personally have several Favorite shortcuts for a variety of collections.  Using Logos 4.5b Beta 6 on Mac OS X 10.6.8, am able to drag from Favorites to create a shortcut that opens a particular collection.

Jacques:
I'd love to JOIN books together permanently come to think of it, does Logos have a way to do that? Why multiple volumes on a computer.. as if the books are too large to hold? That makes sense in real books, but why would anyone do that for a computer?

Logos does not have a way to join resource files together.  One option is adding MyTag to resource(s), which creates a collection plus can be used in collection rules.  Personally have a "Spurgeon, Charles H" collection using rule:

author:Spurgeon OR title:Spurgeon

from example in wiki => http://wiki.logos.com/Example_Collections  Spurgeon's  Barbed Arrows from the Quiver of C. H. Spurgeon and  Feathers for Arrows also have items to consider (along with other Spurgeon resources, which have March Madness 2012 sale discount of 45 % that ends in a few hours).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS