New Feature in Logos 5: Popular Highlights

Page 3 of 9 (171 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 170 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 9:41 AM

Graham Owen:

Ben Torell:
Popular Highlights is a Visual Filter, so you can toggle it in the Visual Filters menu of each resource.

Can the default setting for this please be OFF.

The default for a new user is for the visual filter to be enabled. However, if you turn it off for all resources—as described in the original post—that value will be your default for all devices. (if you discover that this is not the case, please report it as a bug)

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 9:49 AM

David Mitchell:
However, if you turn it off for all resources—as described in the original post—that value will be your default for all devices

Thank David and sorry that I did not read the original post properly.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 2692
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 9:57 AM

looks good - however no way of jumping through them by the article/reference dropdown.. maybe you could consider adding so if we want to step thru them quickly we can

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 232
Philip Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 10:01 AM

This is very promising! I was glad to see it last evening.

Posts 72
Tim Bray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 10:23 AM

Hi,

Another question re this popular highlighting feature:

Can we search (using the search function) 'popular highlights' the same as we can search by our own highlights? 

i.e. Search > Basic > (instead of all text use search fields etc) > resource etc etc

Thanks

Tim

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 10:29 AM

tim bray:
Can we search (using the search function) 'popular highlights' the same as we can search by our own highlights? 

Not at this time.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 12:56 PM

Mark Barnes:

I understand that, and have no objection to Logos receiving our highlighting data even with that setting set to 'none' - it's used for sync, after all. But I do feel that users who have have setting set to 'none' should not have their data aggregated or analysed at all.

I agree

EULA:
Logos will not share your data without your permission, but may examine it programmatically for anonymous statistical purposes or in order to provide technical support.

As the way I read the EULA, there is a problem.  It states that Logos will not share my data.  And it also says that the data can be examine for anonymous statistical purposes.  Nothing wrong here, but if you are now sending out the statistical data that used my information, you are now sharing my data.  As I read the EULA, that statistical data needs to be kept in house because Logos has said that it will not share my data.

Posts 3006
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 1:08 PM

tom:

Mark Barnes:

I understand that, and have no objection to Logos receiving our highlighting data even with that setting set to 'none' - it's used for sync, after all. But I do feel that users who have have setting set to 'none' should not have their data aggregated or analysed at all.

I agree

EULA:
Logos will not share your data without your permission, but may examine it programmatically for anonymous statistical purposes or in order to provide technical support.

As the way I read the EULA, there is a problem.  It states that Logos will not share my data.  And it also says that the data can be examine for anonymous statistical purposes.  Nothing wrong here, but if you are now sending out the statistical data that used my information, you are now sharing my data.  As I read the EULA, that statistical data needs to be kept in house because Logos has said that it will not share my data.

Can we quit being ridiculous and silly and enjoy the new feature? 

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 1:20 PM

tom:
It states that Logos will not share my data.

Logos haven't shared your data. They've used your data (your highlighting) to create new data (aggregated, popular highlighting). Because a minimum number of users have to highlight the same passage before it counts as 'popular', no-one is seeing "Tom's highlighting", and therefore your data is not being shared.

Analogy: If I purchase a widget from a store, and the store tells the manufacturer "We sold 10 widgets on Saturday", they haven't shared my data. If they tell the manufacturer, "Mark Barnes from xxx bought a widget on Saturday", they have shared my data.

Posts 2811
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 1:32 PM

David Mitchell:
The default for a new user is for the visual filter to be enabled. However, if you turn it off for all resources—as described in the original post—that value will be your default for all devices.

Here's a compromise solution that works for me.

I opened a resource that has popular highlights (PH) available...in this case I opened 50 Reasons Jesus Came to Die by J Piper.

I clicked on the PH toggle and then right-clicked the Popular Highlights item and chose 'Do not show in any resources'.  This turns off the PH in everything where it is resident.

Then, I opened a different book where I want to see what people are highlighting (I chose A Holy Ambition by Piper).  I clicked on the PH toggle and checked the PH box to show PH in this book.  Doing this DID NOT turn PH back on for anything else.

So now, my resources won't show the PHs unless I choose to open/show them individually myself.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 2811
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 1:35 PM

Mark Barnes:
If they tell the manufacturer, "Mark Barnes from xxx bought a widget on Saturday", they have shared my data.

Mark, I just got a popup Logos message in L5 that says you've highlighted all the racy parts of Song of Solomon.

(pause for effect)

Devil Devil Devil Devil Devil

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 1:40 PM

Doc B:
I just got a popup Logos message in L5 that says you've highlighted all the racy parts of Song of Solomon.

I just read about you highlighting those the Homeland Security website. You're now on the "Watchlist".Wink

Posts 24855
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 1:42 PM

Ben Torell:
  If you want to disable popular highlights for all resources, you can right-click on the Popular Highlights Visual Filter and select “Do not show in any resources.”

The problem with that method is:-

1. You have to find a resource with the VF
  2. If the tick box is empty you cannot tell whether it has been turned off in ALL resources because the menu item is not ticked.

But I strongly feel there should be a Program setting to NOT receive Popular Highlights (or community ratings, community tags) which then turns OFF the relevant feature for displaying them.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2811
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 1:48 PM

Dave Hooton:

• You have to find a resource with the VF
  • If the tick box is empty you cannot tell whether it has been turned off in ALL resources because the menu item is not ticked.
  • Dave,

Did you see my post just up the way?  It names a resource that has the PH visual filter (Piper's Fifty Ways).  If you have that one, just open it and choose 'Do not show' and you're done with it.

If you don't have that resource, just pick a currently popular pleasure-reading type book, and you are likely to find it.

Posts 13348
    Forum MVP
    Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 1:52 PM

Dave Hooton:
    You have to find a resource with the VF

If you can't find a resource with the VF, then whether it's on or off isn't going to make any difference at all!

Posts 2811
    Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 1:52 PM

Fredc:
    I just read about you highlighting those the Homeland Security website. You're now on the "Watchlist".Wink

Fred,

Many years ago, I was a high-school boy.  I had various girlfriends, and I was on their dads' watchlist.  So Homeland Security doesn't bother me much. Big Smile

Posts 24855
    Forum MVP
    Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 2:12 PM

Mark Barnes:

Dave Hooton:
    You have to find a resource with the VF

If you can't find a resource with the VF, then whether it's on or off isn't going to make any difference at all!

I'm sure if you really thought about that you wouldn't have said it, since it puts aside what I was really saying.

Dave
    ===

Windows & Android

Posts 24855
    Forum MVP
    Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 2:14 PM

Doc B:
    Did you see my post just up the way?  It names a resource that has the PH visual filter (Piper's Fifty Ways).

You also missed the point because I did find a resource.

Dave
    ===

Windows & Android

Posts 8900
    Forum MVP
    Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 4:37 PM

How many user highlights have to be submitted before popular highlights is applied?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 98
    Joshua Coady | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 4:43 PM

Bruce Dunning:

How many user highlights have to be submitted before popular highlights is applied?

If Mark highlighted it, just one... Devil

Page 3 of 9 (171 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS