New Feature in Logos 5: Popular Highlights

Page 4 of 9 (171 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
This post has 170 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 8898
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 4:55 PM

Big Smile

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 634
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 4:59 PM

David Taylor Jr:

Can we quit being ridiculous and silly and enjoy the new feature? 

Why is it that someone who disagrees with Logos, mentions they failed to deliver on promised features or in this case are going against the EULA, always has to be insulted? Would it be ridiculous or silly if it were any other company violating the EULA?

The fact is that for customers to prevent Logos from using their information against their wishes is to lose functionality by turning internet off. That was the same lame answer I received today when I called customer service about the potential to block the "community" highlights, etc... Where in the EULA do we agree to have "community" data forced into our Bible Study?

While it may be minor to some, for some it is a big deal, Logos could simply honor those customers by having the ability to opt out of this unwarranted sharing and forced Faithlife data in the software.

The sad part is, it won't be long before someone gets tired of this nonsense and we will see the legal channel taken - is that what we really want? Is that what Logos really wants?

Simple solution - don't punish users who do not want to be a part of this process by giving them only a solution that limits or constricts the software.

Posts 2328
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 5:21 PM

I wonder if I am missing something (which according to my wife I usually am), but I don't know how I am going to benefit by seeing what others highlight.

I will try having the visual filter turned on for a while just to see, but I expect I will turn it off.

Posts 10116
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 5:35 PM

Frank ... good points.

Ronald .... just answering your question (though you might have already answered it just seconds after you asked). But whenever I get a used book (and I do that a lot these days, it's so easy), quite often it has highlighting or notes. And I happily read their highlights. Why? I don't know. I guess because it's another person being interested in what I'm interested in?

But the question does illustrate the desirability of options. I've not understood why Logos is so hard-nosed on taking user data against their wishes.  I've read over and over from the other forum members how sweet Logos really is. And quite a number of people work there so probably it's true. Just a mystery about Bob's personality.

Posts 26269
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 8:37 PM

tom:
Nothing wrong here, but if you are now sending out the statistical data that used my information, you are now sharing my data. 

Seems a bit of a stretch to claim  that anonymous statistical data is the logical equivalent of your data.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 13343
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 2:35 AM

Frank Sauer:

Why is it that someone who disagrees with Logos, mentions they failed to deliver on promised features or in this case are going against the EULA, always has to be insulted? Would it be ridiculous or silly if it were any other company violating the EULA?

It certainly would be good to have an adult conversation about this issue, and words like 'ridiculous' and 'silly' don't help that. But however much some people don't like the aggregation of highlighting, Logos haven't broken the EULA, or their privacy policy. Claiming that they have does not help either (and it was that which prompted the 'silly' comment). If we're going to have an adult discussion, it needs to be one that sticks to the facts and doesn't make wild claims, or assume the wild claims of others.

Frank Sauer:
The fact is that for customers to prevent Logos from using their information against their wishes is to lose functionality by turning internet off. That was the same lame answer I received today when I called customer service about the potential to block the "community" highlights, etc...

I agree that is lame, and unhelpful. Setting "Send Feedback" to "None" ought to be enough to stop a user's highlights being aggregated. (Although I fully intend to leave my "Send Feedback" to "All", I don't think it unreasonable that people should have an opt-out).

Frank Sauer:
Simple solution - don't punish users who do not want to be a part of this process by giving them only a solution that limits or constricts the software.

Agreed.

Posts 177
Alan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 3:00 AM

I like this new feature. 

IMO 5 highlights is way too low to be considered a popular highlight. Before long entire books will be highlighted.

I would prefer the threshold to be set higher than 5 highlights or even better I would prefer to custom set the threshold myself.

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Posts 177
Alan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 3:02 AM

Also, the format of [5 highlights] is distracting.

How about a simple icon in the same fashion as the icon for community notes that can indicate how many highlights when the mouse is over the icon.

Posts 10520
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 4:15 AM

Ronald Quick:
I don't know how I am going to benefit by seeing what others highlight.

The only value I see in this—and community ratings, community tags, etc—is for those who wish to allow others to do their thinking for them.

Posts 13343
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 4:23 AM

Alan:
IMO 5 highlights is way too low to be considered a popular highlight. Before long entire books will be highlighted.

The minimum level is dynamic. So popular sections with lots of highlighting would need significantly more than five highlights to be highlighted.

Posts 13343
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 4:32 AM

Jack Caviness:
The only value I see in this—and community ratings, community tags, etc—is for those who wish to allow others to do their thinking for them.

Because I count you a friend, Jack, I'm going to be blunt — you're speaking nonsense! Stick out tongue You may justifiably decide that these highlights don't suit your study, but if that's the only value you see in them for anyone, then you're not doing enough thinking. Everything we take in when we're using Logos has been created by other people or at least influenced by other people. When I read Carson's commentary on John, Carson is aiding my thinking, not thinking for me. When my eye is drawn to sections that others have highlighted, then those anonymous Logos users are aiding my thinking, not thinking for me. Like everything else in Logos, Popular Highlights is another dataset to be used discerningly.

Posts 2915
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 4:50 AM

Mark Barnes:

Like everything else in Logos, Popular Highlights is another dataset to be used discerningly.

Yes! 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 8898
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 6:25 AM

Jacob Hantla:

Mark Barnes:

Like everything else in Logos, Popular Highlights is another dataset to be used discerningly.

Yes! 

I agree. Discernment must be applied to everything we read or study. Discernment is closely related to wisdom.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 10520
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 6:51 AM

Mark Barnes:
Because I count you a friend, Jack, I'm going to be blunt — you're speaking nonsense! Stick out tongue

Perhaps I was just wanting to think for others Big Smile

Posts 177
Alan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 6:53 AM

Jack Caviness:

Ronald Quick:
I don't know how I am going to benefit by seeing what others highlight.

Or to see what others are thinking. I think community highlights are a great idea.

Posts 2328
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 7:47 AM

I haven't used popular highlights enough to see if I will personally like it, but I think it is a great idea of Logos and I'm glad to see that others like it.

Posts 586
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 11:01 AM

Are the community highlights going to be available in the Journals as well? I've just glanced through a couple from my journals collection and haven't seen any highlighting, but I may have not selected the ones that anyone has highlighted anything.

Posts 634
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 11:01 AM

MJ. Smith:

tom:
Nothingstatistics here, but if you are now sending out the statistical data that used my information, you are now sharing my data. 

Seems a bit of a stretch to claim  that anonymous statistical data is the logical equivalent of your data.

Have to disagree MJ... When you generate anonymous statistics using user data - it is compiled of each users personal data. Just because Logos calls it anonymous does not negate the fact that they are using our data to generate theirs.

Posts 350
Chuck P. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 11:42 AM

One little thing that bugs me a little....when I build a lesson, I highlight, copy and paste into Word...the problem, the lesson will show "8 Highlights" (for example), but does not show the underlined highlighted area...I like the highlights in my resource, but really don't want any thing in my Word document like that, so I have to turn the highlighting routine off....

Chuck

Laptop: Lenovo P580 - 15.6" IdeaPad Laptop
 - 6GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive - Windows 7
 Iphone5s            Logos 7, Bronze

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 11:52 AM

Chuck P.:

One little thing that bugs me a little....when I build a lesson, I highlight, copy and paste into Word...the problem, the lesson will show "8 Highlights" (for example), but does not show the underlined highlighted area...I like the highlights in my resource, but really don't want any thing in my Word document like that, so I have to turn the highlighting routine off....

We will fix that in a future version.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Page 4 of 9 (171 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS