Changes in balloon display of Bible verse

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 30 2009 10:11 AM

In the BDAG lexicon and TDNT, when I hover over a Bible reference, it used to show the text of the verse in a balloon window using my preferred Bible. Now it is showing a Word Biblical Commentary article on the verse, rather than the verse itself. On some verses it shows the New International Greek Testament Commentary article. Why did this change and how do I fix it?

The strange thing is when I started the program today it was displaying the Bible verse itself. Then I hovered over a reference to the Epistle of Barnabus, which is properly displayed. Since then, it has had in its mind to display the commentary article. I don't understand why it worked right and then changed.

I figure it has to do with the "Preferred Resources". I moved the Bibles to at the top of the priority list and it displays Bible verses when I hover now, at least for the moment.

But I moved the Bibles to the bottom of the priority list because otherwise the right click menu would list Bibles rather than commentaries when I select the verse from the menu. When I am looking at a Bible verse, the 5 top resources I would want pick from the menu would be the commentaries, not other Bible versions. So this priority system is not as flexible as the version 3 system that distinguishes priority by data type. I would think it also must slow down the right click menu if it has to consider a larger list of resources, rather than just a list related to a particular data type.

Posts 27981
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 3:20 PM

Harry Hahne:
But I moved the Bibles to the bottom of the priority list because otherwise the right click menu would list Bibles rather than commentaries when I select the verse from the menu. When I am looking at a Bible verse, the 5 top resources I would want pick from the menu would be the commentaries, not other Bible versions. So this priority system is not as flexible as the version 3 system that distinguishes priority by data type. I would think it also must slow down the right click menu if it has to consider a larger list of resources, rather than just a list related to a particular data type.

With respect to the Bible data type L3 and L4 are no different. You still have to choose between commentaries and bibles as your preferred resources.

The best method would be to Prioritize, say, 1 bible with 3-4 commentaries at the top of the list so you have the option to use a bible on the Context menu.

The L4 context menu is slower because it also accesses resources to find the reference and tries to list 5 resources with that reference.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 5:26 PM

Dave Hooton:
The best method would be to Prioritize, say, 1 bible with 3-4 commentaries at the top of the list so you have the option to use a bible on the Context menu.

This is my setup, 3 bibles (NJB - NA27 - BHS [only 2 ever display, obviously]) and then 3 commentaries.It works very well for me.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS