Logos 5, new timeline feature, and the BEB

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 570
Rev Chris | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 3 2012 9:37 AM

I just upgraded to Logos 5 Platinum last night and am trying it out today.  I really like the Timeline feature - it's already given me some new insight into a familiar passage that I'm working with.

However, I noticed that the references are all to the BEB (Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible).  Is there a way to change that to one of my other dictionaries (like the AYBD)?  Or did Logos manually code the BEB to work with the Timeline, ensuring it would be the main source of information?

Thanks!

Pastor, seminary trustee, and app developer.  Check out my latest app for churches: The Church App

Posts 21868
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 9:58 AM

Rev Chris:
However, I noticed that the references are all to the BEB (Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible).  Is there a way to change that to one of my other dictionaries (like the AYBD)?  Or did Logos manually code the BEB to work with the Timeline, ensuring it would be the main source of information?

Events are linked to articles in a range of entries but only show dictionaries which you own.

So I get a lot of links to ISBE (for example) - I don't get any to AYBD but I don't own that.

You can't modify the linkages yourself. 

As of 3 Nov, AYBD hadn't been tagged as per http://community.logos.com/forums/p/58229/414592.aspx#414592

However the thread at http://community.logos.com/forums/t/60737.aspx suggests that AYBD tagging was being introduced (even if incorrectly in that specific case)

Hope this helps

Graham 

Posts 9079
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 10:03 AM

Because Logos has put the BEB into all packages Bronze and higher, it is well tagged and linked.

However I have the ISBE and AYBD as well as others, and usually see more references to the ISBE than the BEB. I find very few references in the timeline back to the AYBD. This isn't a matter of prioritizing of resources, either. In a side-by-side comparison of a few articles in each, I noted many timeline 'unfilled' flags in the AYBD and no filled ones. The opposite was true for the BEB and ISBE. So the tagging in the AYBD will take you to the Timeline but the Timeline generally will not take you back to the AYBD.

Note that unfilled flags link back to the timeline while filled flags work both ways (the article is linked in the Timeline).

See: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/58229/414603.aspx#414603 and the article before it. Tagging is on-going, but I don't recall anything being said about changing the type of tagging in the AYBD.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 570
Rev Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 10:07 AM

Thanks Mark - that helps.  After I wrote my question, I came across the scenario you mentioned (where tags in the AYBD take you to the Timeline, but not vice versa) and thought it was strange.  I don't have the ISBE (and won't be able to afford it for some time now!), but I hope the AYBD tagging gets improved.

Pastor, seminary trustee, and app developer.  Check out my latest app for churches: The Church App

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS