Was going from Scholars/Silver 4.x to Bronze 5.0 worth it you think?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 3 2012 8:09 PM

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me if going from Scholars/Silver 4.x to Bronze 5.0 really gained me anything please?

Is it me, or do you not notice much difference in this upgrade other than a thinner wallet.

I wanted the timeline as a seminarian...but wonder how much I am missing by accepting just the Bronze (I would happily trade in all my foreign Greek and Hebrew - Bibles for some decent English commentaries.)  I do not study in the original languages and so all those other Bibles will never be accessed.

Was I unwise to upgrade to 5.0?  Minor buyers remorse here.  Does anyone else wish the upgrades came with some more useful books please?  Logos, how about giving future upgrades with a choice of books please?  Wow, that would be neat.

Posts 9553
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 8:22 PM

Joshua, you can go back to Starter (ask for a refund for Bronze), then purchase the Minimal Crossgrade for about $83 to get timelines. Then look at buying something you like using the special pricing for upgraders found here:https://www.logos.com/topproducts

There are some very good products listed. I personally think this is a great way to get a 'custom upgrade.'

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 8:27 PM

Joshua ... I saw your other thread. Did you look at the Logos5 comparison page, where it shows you what would be new to you for each of the choices you mention?

In answer, the new resources depend on your interests. I WILL say that the 'data sets' that are most easily purchased with the crossgrade far outweigh the expense, especially if you're a seminarian.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 9553
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 8:31 PM

BTW, in response to the question about Bronze, I think there are a few additions worth having (just depends on how much you have to spend to get them as to whether they are truly worthwhile).

For example:

Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible (not the best dictionary Logos offers, but OK)

The two theological lexicons (I know you say you don't want original language stuff, but both of these are accessible through your reverse interlinears and would broaden your Bible studies.

The Dictionary of Christianity in American is useful for someone in American church Christian leadership who has to understand the broader Christian movement.

The Baker Encyclopedia of Apologetics is supposed to be helpful (but I haven't yet used it, so can't say one way or the other)

The Topical Analysis of the Bible is a pretty good topical reference. I've had it for awhile and consult if most times I am studying something topically.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2
Roderick Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 6:21 PM

Mark is the Crossgrade ready for purchase yet and what does it come with?

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 6:31 PM

Roderick Smith:
is the Crossgrade ready for purchase yet and what does it come with?

If by "Cross-grade" you mean "free engine" -- then "no", not until "first quarter of 2013."

But If you mean Minimal Cross-grade" then it includes ALL of the new data sets/features and at least one of the resources needed to run (or turn on) that feature.

It is available on the Product/upgrade page. Log in and you will see your discount. It starts at $160 but many get a discount.

Click on link below

https://www.logos.com/upgrade

Regards, SteveF

Posts 2
Roderick Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 8:15 PM

Thanks so much that is what I was looking for!!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS