Honesty and Ethics of Clergy Slowly Sinking (per polls anyway)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 4 2012 7:18 AM

Don't know if this subject may be of interest. But you can download the most recent Gallup poll from:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/159035/congress-retains-low-honesty-rating.aspx  (scroll to the bottom and there's a link for the pdf which shows the clergy trend; fair warning ... PDF includes a header not appreciated).

It's interesting the medical group (especially nurses) is rising relative to the clergy group dropping. Of course neither is anywhere near the cars salesmen.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 2878
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 8:00 AM

That is interesting.  Thanks for sharing it. 

I'd say being plus 50% might be more confidence in clergy than is warranted.  I am surprised it is as high as it is. Of course, as is true of congress, most people trust their own, but not all the others.

Actually there are some clergy in whom I have 100% confidence and some in whom I have 0%.  So maybe 50% is a pretty good average.

I have been around preachers all my life, and every preacher that I ever knew was a sinner - a sorry lot, including me.   The ones you can trust even admit it.  Surprise  On the other hand, the most admirable people I have ever known are preachers who love God and people, and who minister sacrificially for both. There are far more of these godly folk than most people realize.

I also can't help but wonder, if it had been around, what the Gallup Poll would have said about Paul the Apostle, Luther, Calvin, Wesley, Spurgeon, etc.?  Or Jesus, for that matter?

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 170
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 8:50 AM

As I read history, including scripture, I find that whenever someone lets a temptation exist, someone succumbs to it. The stronger the temptation the more people will flock to it to give in.  There is a great deal of money and power to be had in leading the sheep. Is it any wonder that the jobs with the best payoff attract the worst (as well as the best) people.

Bob - 17" MBP quad 2.3GHz 4GB  and iMAC

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 3:47 AM

DMB:
It's interesting the medical group (especially nurses) is rising relative to the clergy group dropping. Of course neither is anywhere near the cars salesmen.

Even more interesting to me is the fact that pollsters were not included in the survey Big Smile

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 4:57 AM

DMB:

Don't know if this subject may be of interest. But you can download the most recent Gallup poll from:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/159035/congress-retains-low-honesty-rating.aspx  (scroll to the bottom and there's a link for the pdf which shows the clergy trend; fair warning ... PDF includes a header not appreciated).

Clergy ranks that high ? !!!  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 5:58 AM

George Somsel:
Clergy ranks that high ? !!!  Wink

It is probably the Baptists who bring the average up Big Smile

Posts 825
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 7:24 AM

You're a fool if you enter the ministry to gain approval. 

"... and others were tortured, not accepting their release, so that they might obtain a better resurrection; and others experienced mockings and scourgings, yes, also chains and imprisonment.  They were stoned, they were sawn in two, they were tempted, they were put to death with the sword; they went about in sheepskins, in goatskins, being destitute, afflicted, ill-treated (men of whom the world was not worthy), wandering in deserts and mountains and caves and holes in the ground. "

JRS has left the building.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 7:33 AM

JRS:

You're a fool if you enter the ministry to gain approval. 

"... and others were tortured, not accepting their release, so that they might obtain a better resurrection; and others experienced mockings and scourgings, yes, also chains and imprisonment.  They were stoned, they were sawn in two, they were tempted, they were put to death with the sword; they went about in sheepskins, in goatskins, being destitute, afflicted, ill-treated (men of whom the world was not worthy), wandering in deserts and mountains and caves and holes in the ground. "

Now who would write a silly thing like that?  [I know, it's Heb 11.36-38 – I'm making a point (or attempting to)].  Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 825
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 7:49 AM

George Somsel:
Now who would write a silly thing like that?

Or one could consider the approval rating of another minister of God ...

"Are they servants of Christ? (I speak as if insane) I more so; in far more labors, in far more imprisonments, beaten times without number, often in danger of death. Five times I received from the Jews thirty-nine lashes. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, a night and a day I have spent in the deep. I have been on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers, dangers from robbers, dangers from my countrymen, dangers from the Gentiles, dangers in the city, dangers in the wilderness, dangers on the sea, dangers among false brethren; I have been in labor and hardship, through many sleepless nights, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure."

JRS has left the building.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS