Crash after opening

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 161
Michael Hatcher | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 7 2012 3:18 AM

I opened Logos on my Macbook Pro. After it opens, I started to type update resources in the command line but the program crashed prior to finishing typing. Opened it again and crashed again. Here are the logs (hope they are done right).

0020.Archive.zip

Michael Hatcher

visit: www.bellviewcoc.com

iMac 2.8 GHz i7 quad core, 8 GB Ram, 1 TB HD

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 4:09 AM

Hi Michael

I note the Logos.log file is missing in your ZIP file, it is helpful to have it.

Can you see it in your folder

/Users/michaelhatcher/Library/Application Support/Logos4/Data/k8hhm7d1.do4/Logging/

if so could you attach as extra ZIP or resend another ZIP file with it included.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 161
Michael Hatcher | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 4:20 AM

Sorry but I did not have logging enabled when I did this. So I enabled it (used terminal to keep it on all the time) and reproduced the crash. Here are the new logs.

2251.Archive.zip

Michael Hatcher

Posts 29797
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 4:43 AM

Michael - it appears that you are getting the "too many open files" error which several other users have experienced as well. I don't know what the solution is long term, but I would try using a blank layout and see what happens. Open panels slowly and not too many. Hopefully Logos can shed some more light.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27039
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 4:56 AM

"too many open files" error - in this case connected to your  search for "Update n" in the Command box. This is being investigated by Logos and we don't have a real workaround (see post above).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 29797
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 5:01 AM

Dave Hooton:
This is being investigated by Logos

Dave - is this happening just on Mac or has this bug infected Windows too?

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 5:06 AM

Yes it shows 'too many open files' but if it crashes shortly after opening it — yes? — then seems funny that it could have many files opened?

One question, just a hunch, have you excluded the Logos 4 (name kept for Logos 5) data folder from Spotlight indexing? This is your data folder

/Users/michaelhatcher/Library/Application Support/Logos4/

To exclude whole Logos 4 (really Logos 5) from Spotlight:

Open system preferences and click on 'Spotlight'

In Spotlight dialog box choose 'Privacy'

Do NOT use '+' button because you will not be able to navigate to the user ~/Library folder. Open a finder window, type Shift+Command+G, paste this

/Users/michaelhatcher/Library/Application Support/

into entry box. You will then see Logos4 folder, drag it into the Finder | Privacy dialog box and close it away.

Wait for a while for Spotlight to do it's thing.

Reboot your machine, make sure Spotlight is not doing anything.

Start Logos with pressing Command button option (click on Logos icon then directly after press and hold Command key). In following dialog box click 'Use blank layout' checkbox then click 'Work Offline' button.

See how it goes and report back. If crashes again BEFORE starting Logos again ZIP all log files and post them again.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 27039
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 5:10 AM

alabama24:

Dave Hooton:
This is being investigated by Logos

Dave - is this happening just on Mac or has this bug infected Windows too?

Haven't seen it on Windows!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 29797
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 6:03 AM

Dave Hooton:
Haven't seen it on Windows!

Just curious. Since the L5 forum is "mixed," there is more of Dave to go around for us Mac users. Smile

Posts 161
Michael Hatcher | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 7:48 AM

I do have a rather extensive layout (26 tabs open), thus that might be the problem (although it does not cause a problem on my office IMac).

At present, I am at the office but will try some of the other suggestions when I get back to my laptop computer.

Michael Hatcher

Posts 161
Michael Hatcher | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 10:30 AM

Patrick,

I was able to open and use Logos. It was only when I tried to do an update command that it crashed. I did though go ahead and exclude Logos from spotlight. Opened Logos then went to the home page and typed in the update now command without a crash.

Michael Hatcher

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 11:09 AM

Michael Hatcher:

I was able to open and use Logos. It was only when I tried to do an update command that it crashed. I did though go ahead and exclude Logos from spotlight. Opened Logos then went to the home page and typed in the update now command without a crash.

Great! Hope it stays OK.

Actually if we have found possible cause for the "too many open files" issue in the Mac that will be great. I knew about the option of excluding Logos from Spotlight and have mine setup that way. It makes sense in one way, Spotlight is always running and knows at the OS level as soon as a file changes and will immediately (re)index it for the OS. 

It is quite possible that Logos might choke on having another process touching a file when it wants to. Some people may not know (and pls Logos guys don't flame me again for saying) that Logos is not what I would call a 'pure' OS X application. It actually has (unfortunately) this extra translation layer called Mono which runs Windows DLLs on the Mac (yep there are Windows DLLs in the Logos for Mac application bundle).

Anyway computer OS religious wars aside... if it can be confirmed that excluding the Logos data folder from Spotlight indexing can solve this problem then that is good for everyone. Please do let us know how it goes after a while — whether continues to be OK or not.

Posts 27039
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 12:49 PM

Patrick S.:
It is quite possible that Logos might choke on having another process touching a file when it wants to.

Then it usually aborts with a different error ("can't access/open") and we recommend Windows users to exclude Logos from being scanned by their Security Suite . But Windows also has its Search Indexer, which we can disable (especially for SSD's).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 27039
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 12:51 PM

alabama24:
Just curious. Since the L5 forum is "mixed," there is more of Dave to go around for us Mac users. Smile

Ok, I confess that I now have 7-Zip for those funny geezer files.Smile

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 12:54 PM

Dave Hooton:

Patrick S.:
It is quite possible that Logos might choke on having another process touching a file when it wants to.

Then it usually aborts with a different error ("can't access/open") and we recommend Windows users to exclude Logos from being scanned by their Security Suite . But Windows also has its Search Indexer, which we can disable (especially for SSD's).

Hear what your saying, but we Mac users get a bit desperate sometimes with the number of crashes we get, so anything we can do/find to reduce problems/crashes we'll jump on.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS