Non-useful Mousover Popups in Logos 4 and 5.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 63
Matthew Lee | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 10 2012 11:21 PM

There is a persistent oddity, that made it into Logos 5.  It's not strictly a bug, but an effort to make you rethink your methodology.  I thought I had brought this up before, but I want to see what the community thinks. 

When doing a passage search, I get a list of applicable commentaries as expected.  When I mouseover a commentary's title, I get a popup with the bibliographic metadata (See "What I get") for the resource instead of a handy preview of the referenced article (see "What I expect").

Especially if I have prioritized a resource, the bibliography Logos offers at this point is not vaguely as important to me as the content of the document relative to the passage.  Since this link is obviously to a specific passage, Is it possible to replace the popup in the first image with something more like the second image?

Getting a preview of the article on mousover would greatly reduce the "triage" time deciding which resource is most useful.  I wouldn't have to open a resource that was a near-duplicate of another.  I think this pop-up is the default way that cross-document links work, and I know that I could quit being lazy and click the link. But if you're building a popup, I think the user would always be better served with a simple resource title and brief preview than the summary that came from the back of the book.

If the publishers require access to their metadata from this window, I'd suggest putting an information (i) icon in the popup like in the library window. 

~Matthew

What I get:

What I expect:

Posts 5847
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 1:08 AM

I agree

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 3:29 AM

Yes

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 3:39 AM

Personally, I find the existing system helpful. When I'm presented with a list of commentaries, I always want to open them to read the context, and therefore I'm not interested in seeing just a snippet. And because several commentaries are difficult to identify by their title alone, I find the hover text very useful. For example, my Passage Guide for Proverbs 18:23 shows commentaries such as:

• A Commentary on the Holy Scriptures: Proverbs
  • Proverbs: An introduction and Commentary
  • Proverbs & Ecclesiastes
  • Proverbs: An expository commentary
  • The Book of Proverbs (Volume 2)
  • The Book of Proverbs, Explained and Illustrated
  • A Commentary on the Book of Proverbs
  • An Exposition of the Book of Proverbs
  • A Commentary on the Whole Book of Proverbs
  • Lectures on the Book of Proverbs, Vol. 2
  • The Book of Proverbs
I simply find it impossible to memorise the author, date and description of all these commentaries. Therefore the existing hover panel makes it much easier for me to determine which of these I would like to look at first (and whilst I do prioritise commentary series, lots of these resources aren't in a series, and it would take too long to prioritise or rename them all).

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 6:38 AM

Probably the perspective depends on whether a person has a million commentaries, etc?

I agree with the OP, but mainly because Logos4/5 is so bad at opening a resource and destroying my study (yes, I know, drag and drop which makes no sense on a multi-window layout, so don't even mention it).

Since of course I mainly use Libronix, I notice the older design had NO popup (in which case, Mark's comment is very appropriate). On the other hand clicking on the commentary in Libronix pops it up (with no damage to the layout). Ah, so heavenly.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS