Bug: Too many spaces Exporting Passage List to Word

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 25095
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 11 2012 12:44 PM

Create Passage List for Mary the Mother in Clause Search (77 passages) then Print/Export it.

With narrow margins on A4 it says 4 pages.

When exported to a new Word 2007 document it takes 11 pages (3-4 lines between passages)

When exported to an open Word 2007 document it takes 7 pages (2 lines between passages)

When I change the Page Setup to match Narrow (12.7) as opposed to the 25.4 used and change Letter to A4  the right margin is unaffected. After removing excess blank lines I can only get it down to 5 pages. My Printer default is A4.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3156
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 10:36 AM

Does the behavior hold true in the preview window prior to export?

Posts 25095
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 12:22 PM

Tommy Ball:

The preview window appears to behave correctly, with text extending to the right margin and one space between passages e.g. if I alter the margins to Normal (25.4mm) it needs 5 pages vs 4 pages on Narrow.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 178
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 12:10 PM

Dave Hooton:

Tommy Ball:

The preview window appears to behave correctly, with text extending to the right margin and one space between passages e.g. if I alter the margins to Normal (25.4mm) it needs 5 pages vs 4 pages on Narrow.

Instead of a direct export to Windows, first use a Text Capture with Snagit available here:

http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.html

Then, the Snagit Editor should show exactly what you have in Logos 5.  Then make any corrections in Snagit and then paste into Word.

Posts 3156
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 1:07 PM

Dave Hooton:

Tommy Ball:

Hi Dave,

• When I attempted to repeat what you did, I got a few more hits (but that may be due to resources available). Howeve, more interestingly in my preview window there are 36 pages in Letter format, and 32 in A4. Also, the dimensions on A4 for me are 209.9 x 296.9, I'm not sure where you are getting it to be 25.4 or how you are seeing that list at 4 or 5 pages. Perhaps I'm doing something you aren't? I'm attaching an image of my clause panel, and export/print panel
  • We can't really control what Word or any other document editor does with the pasted text. Once you hit "export" or "paste" the word processor decides how to read the text and formatting information, so if what Sir Maru's idea is insufficient then I would look into altering settings in Word. 

Posts 25095
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 11:22 PM

Tommy Ball:

• When I attempted to repeat what you did, I got a few more hits (but that may be due to resources available). Howeve, more interestingly in my preview window there are 36 pages in Letter format, and 32 in A4. Also, the dimensions on A4 for me are 209.9 x 296.9, I'm not sure where you are getting it to be 25.4 or how you are seeing that list at 4 or 5 pages. Perhaps I'm doing something you aren't? I'm attaching an image of my clause panel, and export/print panel
  • A4 is A4 paper size (210 x 297 mm) and I'm working in mm not inches, so normal margins are 25.4mm (about 1")

You are printing the verses in each of your Top Bibles hence the much larger output. I now get 86 results (in one bible) and Preview shows 4 pages for normal margins (now in Windows 8) from the Clause Search window and not a Passage List as i did initially. Print to new document takes 9 pages with "Keep source Formatting" as the Word default. Also get 9 pages with "Match destination formatting".

Tommy Ball:
    We can't really control what Word or any other document editor does with the pasted text. Once you hit "export" or "paste" the word processor decides how to read the text and formatting information, so if what Sir Maru's idea is insufficient then I would look into altering settings in Word. 

"Keep source Formatting" is supposed to make it easy for us, so i'm presuming the output from Logos is not what it should be. There are problems with Copy and Paste from resource ...

Dave
    ===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3156
    LogosEmployee
    Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 14 2012 8:03 AM

Dave Hooton:
    I now get 86 results (in one bible) and Preview shows 4 pages for normal margins (now in Windows 8) from the Clause Search window and not a Passage List as i did initially.

Can you post a screenshot similar to the one I did that compares the search results and the preview screen? I'm struggling to imagine how you are fitting 86 results in 9 pages let alone 4. 

Dave Hooton:
    "Keep source Formatting" is supposed to make it easy for us, so i'm presuming the output from Logos is not what it should be. There are problems with Copy and Paste from resource ...

My understanding is that the exported text should, as far as we are concerned and able to affect, come out in the word processor as it is seen in preview. Any other result is based upon word processor specific settings.  I'll need to be able to reproduce the behavior in order to see if there really is something on our end going wrong. 

Posts 25095
    Forum MVP
    Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 14 2012 1:05 PM

Tommy Ball:
    Can you post a screenshot similar to the one I did that compares the search results and the preview screen? I'm struggling to imagine how you are fitting 86 results in 9 pages let alone 4. 

Tommy, you didn't reproduce my scenario of printing 86 results from one bible (below). You are printing these results in your Top Bibles!

Dave
    ===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3156
    LogosEmployee
    Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 10:25 AM

Thanks for the pic. I got it to look like yours (4 pages). It exported directly to word as 9 or 10 pages. When I paste as RTF it is 6 pages. It looks like Word is handling the table that the Search results are comprised of differently than is displayed in Logos. It is likely it is doing extra formatting to the table. If you print to XPS or print normally the pages comes out as four.  Perhaps if the search results didn't have to be sent to the clipboard as a table you'd see the same results in Word as you see in the print preview, but that would be something you'd have to add to User Voice I think. I have no idea how difficult that would be.  

Posts 25095
    Forum MVP
    Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 12:37 PM

Thanks, Tommy.

Dave
    ===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS