Most Exciting Sale Ever. Thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 33 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 418
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 22 2012 11:39 PM

Being in Australia sales like this can be a tad frustrating. Especially when I email my usual sales guy and he is on ( Well deserved) leave.

The add makes it sound like I can get products at pre-pub prices. Is this true and has it been other people's experience?

Also I am hoping, and Logos are pretty good at this, that if my email to sales is not responded to by Monday that the deals will be honoured after Christmas or when the email is responded to! 

Merry christmas Y'all! (Is that how it is said?) Smile

Posts 69
Brooks Cochran | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 23 2012 4:53 AM

Most likely Logos will honor the "pricing" since you emailed during the time period of the sale. I, personally, do not like calling to ask for a price. To me, and some may disagree, it is like going to a Car Dealership and seeing the "sticker price" and then getting into a discussion with the sales person over how "low" he can go on the car. I'd rather see the lowest possible price and then either buy or walk away!

Posts 883
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 23 2012 5:39 AM

I always use the chat feature and ask, "What is the lowest price that you can do on the following?"  I give a list and take whatever seems like a good deal.  The best deal I've gotten in the last few days is $165 for the Journal of Biblical Literature.

I have never had to wait any length of time to chat with an associate.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 502
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 24 2012 10:17 AM

Well, I took advantage of the sale today. However, I would not say it was their "Most Exciting Sale Ever." I think last year's Logos Christmas Cash sale would qualify as the "most exciting." 

I pointed out a sale price that was available to me on a product in the recent past, and the salesperson wouldn't honor it. They told me that the price they quoted me was "the best price available to you." I still took advantage of it, because it was probably <= any price I'll be able to get over the next year.

But the experience was not even close to most exciting ever. 

Posts 418
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 24 2012 11:47 AM

William Gabriel:

Well, I took advantage of the sale today. However, I would not say it was their "Most Exciting Sale Ever." I think last year's Logos Christmas Cash sale would qualify as the "most exciting." 

I pointed out a sale price that was available to me on a product in the recent past, and the salesperson wouldn't honor it. They told me that the price they quoted me was "the best price available to you." I still took advantage of it, because it was probably <= any price I'll be able to get over the next year.

Sadly I thought this would be the case. The marketing makes it sound as though we'd get products at pre-pub prices as well. I have emailed three people and have yet to get a response. It is Christmas here in Australia so it look like I and Logos miss out! :(

Posts 418
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 24 2012 11:48 AM

William Gabriel:

Sadly I thought this would be the case. The marketing makes it sound as though we'd get products at pre-pub prices as well. I have emailed three people and have yet to get a response. It is Christmas here in Australia so it look like I and Logos miss out! :(

Posts 172
CL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 24 2012 12:15 PM

I was wanting to purchasing the WBC; but they are trying to get me to purchase the Nelson package for $500. I'd much rather purchase the WBC by itself for $400. :(

Posts 2967
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 24 2012 12:22 PM

For me, a sale so soon after L5's release is an impossibility.... I wish joy & peace to those who CAN take advantage...

Blessings!

The Grace & Peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you!
Pastor Bill, Faith Presbyterian Church

W8.1 64bit, Office 2010
i7, 2.40GHz, 1Gb graphics, 8Gb RAM, 7200rpm 750Gb-32Gb hybrid disk
HTC Incredible 2, Droid 2.3.4

Posts 1495
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 24 2012 1:38 PM

I think "the most exciting sale" is misleading and is not the most exciting sale.  I hate to say it, but it comes with a lie.  They tell you how you can get your deal that you missed or something that's been on your wish list for a long time and when you actually call them thinking you're gonna get something....NOTHING! One of the reasons: "Well, the publisher won't let us do this one." Why not say "the most exciting sale ever" and then on small print or parenthesis say "some products subject to publisher's restrictions" or something along those lines.  But don't tell us we're gonna get the deal we've been waiting for when all we're told is "Sorry, the price on this one stays the same at the publisher's request." I mean, tell us before hand so we can at least know that we have a 50/50 chance and not have us think we're really gonna get a discount when we're not.

Now, just for clarification, I'm not being negative (I know some will be quick to point out I'm being negative when I'm not), I'm just stating the truth and suggesting that for the next "most exciting sale ever" at least tell us some products might not be able to be discounted, that's all.  I think it's a legitimate request.

Blessings & Merry Christmas! 

DAL

Posts 662
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 24 2012 5:55 PM

BillS:

For me, a sale so soon after L5's release is an impossibility.... I wish joy & peace to those who CAN take advantage...

Blessings!

I echo your statements, Bill.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 545
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 24 2012 9:06 PM

CL please email me at "darrelldrewett at bellsouth dot net". 

Posts 2
carver sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 25 2012 6:04 AM

I also called wanting a sale price for WBC and they would only give me Nelson bundle for 599.99.  Very disappointed been saving all year to purchase, just don't need the extra books in bundle package!   Maybe next year!  :)

Posts 272
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 25 2012 7:47 AM

I also had a disappointing experience with this sale. Being at the other end of the world, I used the chat feature. It took ages until I got the first line from a sales person. Then each reply took about 10 mins. After nearly an hour, I realized that I am getting nowhere and then e-mailed sales. The next day (my time), I got a reply.

I asked for the best price of the following volume: http://www.logos.com/product/6039/the-encyclopedia-of-christianity-vol-5  It is normally $100. I was offered $71.95. Somebody mentioned on this forum that he got it for $65.

I spent a month in hospital this summer with encephalitis and therefore did not get the news of the price increase from $999.95 to $1,399.95 on August 12: http://blog.logos.com/2012/08/huge-savings-on-a-massive-academic-collection-from-baker-publishing/  I asked if there was still a chance to get it at the $999.95? The answer was "no".

This means that overall, I was offered a discount of only 1.9%. I therefore decided that it was not worth it. To me, this does not qualify as a "sale".

Armin

Posts 6576
Forum MVP
Super.Tramp | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 25 2012 8:25 AM

BillS:
For me, a sale so soon after L5's release is an impossibility....

I hope they release Logos 6 in June (of whatever year.) So we can have 5 or 6 months between the release and Christmas Sale.

Posts 1
Maynard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2012 9:25 AM

I agree was very disappointed.  Someone on another forum told me they were able to purchase the Dead Sea Scroll Database for $87, when I called and talked with Sales guy he kept trying to sell me a different package and then told me that he couldnt offer the database at a discounted price ($180.00).

Posts 502
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2012 10:48 AM

"You keep using that word*. I do not think it means what you think it means."

*Exciting, as in, Most Exciting Sale Ever

Posts 2862
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2012 10:54 AM

Super Tramp:

BillS:
For me, a sale so soon after L5's release is an impossibility....

I hope they release Logos 6 in June (of whatever year.) So we can have 5 or 6 months between the release and Christmas Sale.

YES!!! I think the first or second thought that passed through my head when I heard that L5 had been released was,"why NOW??"

But, if you will recall, L4 was released at almost the exact same time of year in "09, so there may be some arcane reason why this simple request is overlooked.

Posts 1400
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2012 12:15 PM

These kind of sales are for other people than me! Smile

I missed the sale. I had limited time at the the computer, I don't have internet at home, and didn't boot my own computer to see the homepage in the software. On Sunday I didn't imagine public libraries were open so I didn't even have a look. On December 24th I didn't have access to any computer whatsoever and no ticket for the local bus and train - I have to save on ticket expenses.

There weren't many books that I really wanted, and if I would have went crazy I might have spent more buying books that I would have regret (and not returned within 30 days). Most of the book I would have "wanted" would had been for my studies. But my studies won't start for another 2 years since first I have to complete high-school, then I'm going to study classical Greek.

I cleared several items from my wish list this morning.

Really, almost all items that I want, besides such that I will have to have in my studies (which I don't know yet for sure which ones they will be) are NOW in pre-pub and I've placed pre-pub orders. So I know I'm getting the lowest price.

I don't exactly need these kind of sales! I'm already happy with the prices Logos offers me: for example they cut in half the prices on the ICC volumes I wanted (so I returned one too late, the customer service was kind and I got a refund and I bought it again), and I also made HUGE savings on another thing.

Logos works without constant internet connection. So my advice is: think whether it's really worth having an internet connection all the time, every year. I don't know how it works in the U.S, but over here I can use wireless internet in public libraries, one of the Churches, and occasionally pay for an internet café. (My costs for internet café are VERY low nowadays even though I think I have quite a good level of comfortability and have payed just to surf.) Plus I have internet in the school. But when I quit school I won't install internet, I've managed for such a long time with out so I'm used to this. I will save thousands of $ on not having internet, compared to some people, which is almost as much as I spend on books and tuition fees.

Conclusion: I didn't miss out on anything and it's as healthy to think carefully what to buy, wait a long time until buying and maybe the needs have changed meanwhile!

Instead of sitting at the computer watching sales I got a terrific walk together with my girlfriend. Time spent with her is time well spent!

Library ~1,500 incl.print +UBS Handbook NT
No internet. 8GB tablet~400 books. LAPTOPS 1366*768: '09 +SSD trulyergonomic.com, Winter '11/'12 8GB RAM 15.6" '13 hybr disk
Desktops: W7 3G RAM PentiumD 5,400rpm, W2000 Pradis just NIVAC Jn

Posts 418
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2012 3:42 PM

I received word back yesterday that only pre-pubs cancelled in the last 4 months could be included. I tried to get the NIVAC pre-pub price I had for OT and Prophets but the rep said they didn't have a record of it.  Because it is a Zondervan product they can't discount it the way they do with other products.

On a personal note I have found this sale disappointing and I think a little misleading. But hey, it isn't the end of the world and Logos offer some great prices at other times of year and through my sales rep. I am just disappointed because I got my hopes up!

Posts 5585
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2012 6:01 PM

Now, Unix ... thousands of $ for internet service?  We keep TWO ISPs busy and don't even come close to a single thousand.

In fact we get 4G now climbing in wilderness areas.  But agree that saving $ is good ... keeping Logos turned OFF saves money.

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS