Biblical culture collection?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 17
Greg Puttmann | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 31 2012 8:06 AM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

Hello All,

I’m looking to develop a collection in Logos 5 to help me do historical & cultural study for sermon prep.  I would like a collection that gives me some insight into the life and times of the passage under study. Robert Traina in Methodical Bible Study has a list of resources, but I’m looking for something in Logos that I can use.  Have any of you developed a collection like this, and if so, what resources do you have and how did you structure your collection “rules”.

Thanks,

Greg

Posts 25224
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 8:49 AM

Hi Greg

I have a collection called "Commentaries (Background)" and this is simply made up of commentaries which I have tagged with the CommType-Background tag (this is just my convention).

I have then added this collection to a custom Passage Guide so the commentaries are available at the right place when I want to consult them.

Currently in this collection I have:

• Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary
  • IVP Bible Background Commentary (OT & NT)
  • The Socio-Rhetorical Commentary series
  • The "Exploring the Old Testament" series
  • Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament
  • The New Manners and Customs of the Bible

For the type of background you are referring I would mainly access the first two resources in the collection above

Hope this helps

Graham 

Posts 2553
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 9:12 AM

In addition to Graham's excellent suggestions there is the IVP New Testament Bible Study Collection located here:

http://www.logos.com/product/9681/ivp-new-testament-studies-collection

It has 3 more Socio Rhetorical commentaries and several resources related to cultural issues and the Bible.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 9:44 PM

Greg Puttmann:
I would like a collection that gives me some insight into the life and times of the passage under study.

Wiki has => http://wiki.logos.com/Example_Collections

Personally created a Bible Background collection that includes Bible Dictionaries (Encyclopedias):

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 17
Greg Puttmann | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2013 6:17 AM

Graham,

Thanks for your response. 

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

You have suggested some excellent resources—I’m salivating as I look at them online, I’m Pavlovian that way.  But, I need to let my credit card cool off before I order some of these resources—they are on my wish list.

Shalom,

Greg

Posts 17
Greg Puttmann | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2013 6:20 AM

John,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've discovered I have 3 of the resources from the collection you mentioned. There are some others in that collection that I'm putting on my wish list.

Shalom,

Greg

Posts 17
Greg Puttmann | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2013 6:27 AM

Keep Smiling:

BINGO!  Following your link, I've created a collection that has many resources that I didn't know I had. Logos is a rich environment and I'm poorly equipped to use it properly.  Now I have to play around with the collection to see what it gives me.

Thank you all for your help.

Greg

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2013 4:06 PM

Another few that you could consider adding to your wish list:

http://www.logos.com/product/5051/jesus-and-jewish-feasts-collection

http://www.logos.com/product/17148/matrix-the-bible-in-mediterranean-context-series

which reminds us thtat:

The Bible is not a Western book, and the world of the New Testament is not our world. The New Testament world was preindustrial, Mediterranean, and populated mostly by non-literate peasants who depended on hearing these writings read aloud. Only a few of the literate elite were part of the Jesus movement, and they knew nothing of either modernity or the Western culture we inhabit today.

Posts 2553
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2013 5:01 PM

Call sales for a price if you want the rest of the books. they will provide you a discount for what you already own.

Posts 19321
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2013 6:38 PM

I have a collection in progress for Bible backgrounds, and so far my rule for it is:

• (title:background) OR (subject:background) OR (title:manners AND title:customs)  OR mytag:BibBkgnd
  • plus all my Bible Dictionaries
  • minus a few irrelevant things that got picked up with "background" in their title

I still have to go through my library and tag more books with BibBkgnd for sure, but at least the first few terms of this rule might pick up some more books for you that you hadn't added to your collection yet. In particular, in case you don't have them and want to pick them up, I find these:

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 2 2013 3:12 AM

I have several collections I use that pertain to this subject. 

First is "Bible Background":

(title:(manner,custom,background,archaeolog, archeolog) OR subject:(manner,custom,"New Testament—Background","Jews", "Judaism", antiquities, "christianity--origin", historiography, palestine, qumran, rabinnic*, talmud) OR (subject:(excavation,archaeolog,archeolog, antiquities) AND type:dictionary)) ANDNOT subject:(canon,doctrine,"Jews—Conversion", "Hebrew Language")

Background Graeco-Roman:

title:(greco,graeco) OR subject:(greco,graeco,"Christianity and other religions--Greek", "Christianity and other religions--Roman", "Greece--Religion", "New Testament--Greek-Roman")

Background:Judaism:

(title:("second temple", jps, qumran, targum, "dead sea", "rabbinical", "ascension of isaiah") OR subject:("Judaism--Influence",targum, "second temple", qumran, "dead sea", "rabbinical", "Palestine--History--To 70 A.D.", "Jews--History--586 B.C.-70 A.D.", mishnah, "Philo", josephus, "Judaism--Encyclopedias", "ascension of isaiah", "Jews--History--168 B.C.-135 A.D.", "Judaism--History--Talmudic period") OR author:(Josephus, Philo) OR (subject:(apocrypha, pseudepigrapha) AND subject:("O.T.", "Old Testament"))  OR mytag:"Second Temple") ANDNOT author:"Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon" AND lang:english

Posts 17
Greg Puttmann | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 5:34 AM

Thanks Dominick!  Most helpful.  Now to put my collections to good use.

Posts 17
Greg Puttmann | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 5:46 AM

Thank you Rosie.  I've received a lot of great information, now I have to figure out the best, and quickest, way to use it. To Rosie and all, how do you use your background collection?  Do you search by topic, or do you add them to a guide.  I'm building custom guides (following the Joe Miller approach http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UOIuGMjgoA  ) to help with exegesis.  Logos is a wonderful tool, but I know I'm not using it as effectively as I could. 

Greg

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS