Commentary Question

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1540
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 5 2013 12:55 PM

I was wondering how other people sort through their commentaries on the passage guide, or if people actually do that. Do you find it easier to have multiple sections of specific commentaries, or do you keep it in the all commentary view? I have been using the all commentaries view, but in the past I did create a collection for the different types of commentaries when I was running version 4.

Posts 1692
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2013 6:03 PM

Blair Laird:
I was wondering how other people sort through their commentaries on the passage guide

Hopefully others will share what they do.

Like you, I've created several collections of commentaries, e.g. my top ones, academic ones, application ones. Then I've created a custom Passage Guide, which has sections for each. It has sections for other collections too, such as for scholarly journals.

That works well, but to be honest I rarely use my passage guide any more. I tend to open a collection (such as Gospels or John), sort by ratings, and then choose the author I want to read.

Posts 19254
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2013 8:19 PM

Blair Laird:

I was wondering how other people sort through their commentaries on the passage guide, or if people actually do that. Do you find it easier to have multiple sections of specific commentaries, or do you keep it in the all commentary view? I have been using the all commentaries view, but in the past I did create a collection for the different types of commentaries when I was running version 4.

I do have multiple sections, but I usually only refer to the commentaries in one of the sections, that for my Exegetical/Pastoral/Homiletic commentaries, and I usually only look at the top 4-5 commentaries in there (the order is based on my prioritization). Occasionally I will also look in the Application/Devotional commentaries section too. But I pretty much ignore the Language commentaries, and look at Critical/Scholarly commentaries only when I'm trying to research a particular question.

Some day maybe I will get around to doing a more thorough job of prioritizing my commentaries. Currently I do it just by entire series, which isn't the best because sometimes a few volumes of a series are way better or worse than the rests of the series and a single volume from one series can be better than the equivalent volume in another series which on the whole is better.

Posts 32535
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 6 2013 1:22 AM

I have multiple commentary sections based on the type of information they supply:

• form criticism
  • rhetoric-reader/response-literary
  • language
  • social context
  • Jewish
  • Patristic
  • Medieval
  • application
  • devotional
  • study guide
  • lectionary based
  • homiletic

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 482
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2013 9:56 AM

I break mine up into three categories: Exegetical Commentaries, Expository Commentaries, and Study Bibles, and have priorities set for each one.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS