Catholic Collection

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 39 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1417
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 9 2013 9:42 PM

I was wondering if anyone has created a collection of catholic resources.Right now I am looking to study the catholic faith. I do not have Verbum, but am considering purchasing it. I am currently running portfolio 5, and have not purchased any addition catholic sets apart from what came with my packages over the years. I am not finding a whole lot of catholic resources in my library so, I am not sure the best way to go about it. I don't want to purchase a lot of latin books either because I don't read latin...

Posts 26802
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2013 10:49 PM

To some extent you are asking the impossible - take a couple of millennia over a wide range of cultures and there is too much wonderful stuff to recommend without knowing more of your interests and your current knowledge. However, for a few volumes to help you learn what will be helpful, I'd start with:

• The Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • The Vatican II Documents
  • Catholic Principles for Interpreting Scripture
  • The Sources of Catholic Dogma

Following the footnotes will lead you into Patristic, Medieval and Encyclical texts to help you discover what you enjoy - and what you don't.

For examples of Scripture study and Christian life, I'd point you towards these although others would provide different choices:

• Catena Aurea
  • The Confessions of Saint Augustine
  • Biblical Interpretation in the Early Church: An Historical Introduction
  • The Sayings of the Fathers
  • Sermons of St. Bernard on Advent & Christmas
  • The Moral Concordances of Saint Anthony of Padua
  • The Spirit of the Liturgy
  • The Practice of the Presence of God

This should provide some depth from which to ask the question again - at which point I couldn't ignore history or Aquinas. But I made the current list based on parallels in the more contemporary Protestant market - St. Anthony of Padua is a nice topical resource, Catena Aurea is the ACC, Sayings of the Fathers are illustrations, Sermons are sermons, Brother Lawrence is self-help ... in short the list tries to cover a wide breadth of material that is distinctly Catholic but not dependent on prior knowledge and practice.

And, of course, there is the usual caveat - the only way to really learn about Catholicism is to attend Mass.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5251
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2013 12:21 PM

I would recommend 

Liturgical Press Reference Collection (7 vols.)

in additions to the others recommended. 

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2013 1:26 PM

Given you already have Portfolio in Logos 5 you may be able to get a very good price on a higher end Verbum package - worked for me.

Posts 1417
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2013 4:30 PM

David J. Wilson:

Given you already have Portfolio in Logos 5 you may be able to get a very good price on a higher end Verbum package - worked for me.

I went ahead and went with the Verbum capstone. I seemed like the best option over 1000 books for under $500.00. Added some latin stuff to my library, but they came at a cheap enough price. Thnx.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2013 4:53 PM

Blair Laird:
I went ahead and went with the Verbum capstone. I seemed like the best option over 1000 books for under $500.00. Added some latin stuff to my library, but they came at a cheap enough price. Thnx.

Peace, Blair!                   Please note that your package includes a good "right click" Latin Dictionary!        *smile*

Also, part of your study of "catholic" should reflect that many of us Lutherans regard ourselves as "catholic," and NOT Roman Catholic OR Greek Catholic.

We also "claim," in a sense, many of the "fathers" as part of our heritage also. 

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 5251
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2013 5:02 PM

Milford Charles Murray:
Also, part of your study of "catholic" should reflect that many of us Lutherans regard ourselves as "catholic," and NOT Roman Catholic OR Greek Catholic.

In light of that I would also like to recommend Concordia's 

The Apocrypha: The Lutheran Edition with Notes 

-Dan

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2013 5:09 PM

Dan Francis:
In light of that I would also like to recommend Concordia's 

Looking Forward to that, Dan!         *smile*              I pre-ordered last November and I see that the "under development" looks "pretty finished"!         *smile*

The Logos Overview says:      

Overview

For more than one hundred years, the Apocrypha has been left out of English versions of the Bible. Described by Martin Luther as useful texts to read, but not divinely inspired, the Apocrypha allows Lutherans to look back at their heritage and see the Bible as our forefathers would have. Furthermore, the texts of the Apocrypha are essential reading for filling in the 400-year gap between the Old and New Testaments. A key resource for understanding the New Testament’s background, this edition of the Apocrypha includes notes, maps, charts, illustrations, introductions to the books, and an extensive set of articles that provide guidance to those who are studying ancient literature such as the Dead Sea Scrolls. This study-Bible-style treatment of the Apocrypha is certain to be the most extensive, popular edition available; especially to those eager to study the unique Lutheran perspective on these books and the time between the testaments.

In the Logos edition, The Apocrypha: The Lutheran Edition with Notes is fully integrated with your digital library resources. Verses link to your original language texts, preferred translations, and commentaries, enabling you to perform comprehensive word studies and enhancing your research.

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 26802
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2013 5:39 PM

Milford Charles Murray:
your study of "catholic" should reflect that many of us Lutherans regard ourselves as "catholic,"

Based upon friends not official theology, I've come to this description of the various "catholics":

• Western Catholic "no, we're really it"
  • Orthodox "no we're really it"
  • Eastern Orthodox "We're separated?  (a St. Thomas Christian ... )
  • Anglians "we're half-way catholic (middle-way)" (a self-proclaimed Anglo-Catholic)
  • Lutherans "we're Catholic Lite" (a Lutheran pastor's description)
  • Many others "it's little c"

Big Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2013 6:09 PM

MJ. Smith:

Based upon friends not official theology, I've come to this description of the various "catholics":

• Western Catholic "no, we're really it"
  • Orthodox "no we're really it"
  • Eastern Orthodox "We're separated?  (a St. Thomas Christian ... )
  • Anglians "we're half-way catholic (middle-way)" (a self-proclaimed Anglo-Catholic)
  • Lutherans "we're Catholic Lite" (a Lutheran pastor's description)
  • Many others "it's little c"

Thank you, MJ!              Right on!                   *smile*                          Appreciated!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2013 9:49 PM

Blair Laird:
I went ahead and went with the Verbum capstone.

One option for a collection is tagging new resources from Verbum Capstone:

Looking at subjects, noticed a number of collection possibilities: e.g. Subject:Catholic OR mytag:Verbum

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1417
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2013 10:01 PM

I created the collection by organizing my books by last updated since I just purchased it. Then I tagged them all  Verbum created the collection based on the tag. I should add subject: catholic  to the collection though. Verbum was a great purchase, I am getting into More Biblical Evidence for Catholicism right now concerning sola scriptura...

Posts 18707
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2013 11:03 PM

Blair Laird:

David J. Wilson:

Blair, I'm curious about one thing. I too already have Portfolio. When you purchased Verbum, did that become your new base package? Buying Verbum Capstone would be a very cost-effective way for me to get a few of the Catholic resources I care about (I don't care about all of them by a long shot), but I'm kind of reluctant to give up my status as a "Portfolio" base package owner. Even though I know I wouldn't lose the license to any of the books I own already, there's still something kind of cool about knowing I've got the highest package. And I'm not a Catholic so I don't want to start getting targeted advertisements for Catholic users. Also, there's the possibile risk that in the future (Logos 6) when they offer upgrades for people with certain base packages, I would be considered as having Verbum as my base package and upgrade offers would be computed based on that. Did you ask a salesperson any of these questions before taking the plunge?

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2013 11:33 PM

Hi, Perera!

When I had Catholic Foundations (equivalent to Verbum Basic) in L4 I was still an Original Languages Library owner. Then I upgraded to L5 Verbum Basic and a L5 protestant base-package (not a high one, rather low) (I don't want to tell which one because it doesn't matter, no one is asking or interested to know, I'm the only one using my account). The only change was the homepage, but that You can easily set that back to the protestant version, I'm still an owner of the new protestant base-package. The program setting "Use Deuterocanonicals" from L4 has disappeared but I suspect that it's somehow integrated in L5.
However, in the help-menu, under About Logos software, there's a Verbum symbol with the word Verbum with large letters. And on the left it says:

Logos Bible Software 5.0a SR-3 (5.0.1.0278)
Copyright 2000–2012
Logos Bible Software
Licensed to: info@....se ([...] v.5 (IH))

- where: ... is my own domain, and: [...] is the name of the protestant base-package.
I don't know whether the Verbum symbol and the word Verbum disappears if I set verbum to "no", I haven't tried that out.

Rosie Perera:
Blair, I'm curious about one thing. I too already have Portfolio. When you purchased Verbum, did that become your new base package?

The question is then still: do You need Capstone or are the items You care about in a lower base-package?

Rosie Perera:
Buying Verbum Capstone would be a very cost-effective way for me to get a few of the Catholic resources I care about (I don't care about all of them by a long shot),

Would You use the Verbum base-package books? I thought I was very interested in the L4 Catholic Foundations books but didn't read them much. A great deal of the value is that I got the Church Fathers, I started to read those, Tatian and some of Ignatius of Antioch (although Logos has a newer translation of Ignatius of Antioch for sale and I haven't bought that as there is an even newer translation by the same author out as printed matter). I had not finished high-school, so I started in adult education in a Catholic school, and the school reduced my price for taking classes in the Church to zero so I started RCIA among other classes. However I had to quit the RCIA and all other classes and could keep only the Ecclesiastical Latin class this ongoing semester because I have a Math-class in the evenings.

Rosie Perera:
And I'm not a Catholic so

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 21998
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 1:03 AM

Hi Unix

Unix living in celibacy:
Hi, Perera!

May I ask why you tend to refer to people in the forum using their last (or family) names?

Those - such as Rosie - who have chosen to use their real names on the forum tend to refer to each other using their first name and may find it disrespectful or offensive to be referred to by using their family names.

(Not suggesting Rosie finds it either disrespectful or offensive, just using this as an example! Rosie, hope you don't mindSmile)

I know and understand that conventions are different in either countries - which is why I am trying to understand your usage - but think that the use of first names may aid communication.

Graham 

Posts 18707
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 1:17 AM

Unix living in celibacy:

Hi, Perera!

Hi, Unix! Thanks for the info!

I find it hard to follow your style of quoting messages you're replying to. Usually people put the quoted bit above their reply. Anyway, now that I see what you're doing I can figure it out.

By the way, Perera is my surname. I don't mind, but we usually don't address people by their surnames in English. It can sound a bit condescending. I know you don't mean it that way, and English is not your first language. So this is not a criticism, just an education for future communications with others.

Unix living in celibacy:

The question is then still: do You need Capstone or are the items You care about in a lower base-package?

The main items I'm interested in are in Verbum Scripture Study (mostly what's in the Dave Armstrong Collection, but also St. Patrick, Apostle of Ireland; Saint Anselm’s Book of Meditations and Prayers; The Book of the Popes; History of the Councils of the Church; and Pictorial Lives of the Saints). But my price for Capstone is only $46.25 more than my price for Scripture Study, and I'd get the Papal Encyclicals, which are $299.95 if bought stand-alone. That's a pretty good deal.

Unix living in celibacy:

Would You use the Verbum base-package books? I thought I was very interested in the L4 Catholic Foundations books but didn't read them much. A great deal of the value is that I got the Church Fathers, I started to read those, Tatian and some of Ignatius of Antioch (although Logos has a newer translation of Ignatius of Antioch for sale and I haven't bought that as there is an even newer translation by the same author out as printed matter).

I already have a lot of Church Fathers. I have the Protestant Edition of ANF and N&PNF, all the various translations of Apostolic Fathers, Catena Aurea, Ancient Christian Commentary on the Scriptures, etc.

I probably won't use (i.e., read) the Verbum books much, but having them available for research would be valuable to me. And since I already have so many of the books in these packages, the discounted package prices for me are pretty tempting. Almost to the point of "why not?" except if it changes me to being a Verbum base package customer, which I wouldn't want.

What is this "set verbum to no" command? Does having verbum set to yes do anything other than change the UI to say Verbum instead of Logos and have pretty colors that Martha was concerned she was missing out on? My understanding is if I bought Verbum as an upgrade from my existing base package, verbum would be set to "no" by default for me. But I'm concerned about more than what the UI looks like. I'm concerned about locking myself in for future upgrade paths. I guess I might have to talk to Sales about that to be sure.

Posts 18707
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 1:22 AM

Graham Criddle:
(Not suggesting Rosie finds it either disrespectful or offensive, just using this as an example! Rosie, hope you don't mindSmile)

You beat me to it. I don't mind at all, but do find it a curious habit. It might be something particularly Swedish, so of course I'm not offended.

I remember when my brother was living in Germany for a while he learned some conventions like putting an exclamation mark after someone's name at the end of a salutation in a personal letter, instead of a comma (to us Yanks that looks like shouting, but to them it's just an enthusiastic greeting). And maybe, if my memory serves me right, they tend to use surnames too. So it wouldn't surprise me if they do it that way in Sweden.

Anyway, no offense taken at all, since I understand different cultures.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 1:32 AM

They don't in Sweden. I've moved many times to Finland and lived there half my life. It's a Finnish custom and I thought it was used in the U.S:

Rosie Perera:
So it wouldn't surprise me if they do it that way in Sweden.

Regarding quoting, I use the same standards on forums as I originally learned from emails. I don't understand why there should be different standards, it's the same to me. When someone quotes text I often read it, so when someone quotes a lenghty text at the top of the post it's a bit annoying, if placing it below the text You write You tell other's that they can read the quote if necessary and it doesn't stand in the way. If the exact quote is especially necessary I explain it in the text I'm writing and/or underline or bold something in the quote just like others do.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 1417
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 1:41 AM

Rosie Perera:

Blair Laird:

David J. Wilson:

Blair, I'm curious about one thing. I too already have Portfolio. When you purchased Verbum, did that become your new base package? Buying Verbum Capstone would be a very cost-effective way for me to get a few of the Catholic resources I care about (I don't care about all of them by a long shot), but I'm kind of reluctant to give up my status as a "Portfolio" base package owner. Even though I know I wouldn't lose the license to any of the books I own already, there's still something kind of cool about knowing I've got the highest package. And I'm not a Catholic so I don't want to start getting targeted advertisements for Catholic users. Also, there's the possibile risk that in the future (Logos 6) when they offer upgrades for people with certain base packages, I would be considered as having Verbum as my base package and upgrade offers would be computed based on that. Did you ask a salesperson any of these questions before taking the plunge?

I did not ask the sales person about that sort of stuff. My homepage is still like it always has been, and my about screen still shows portfolio 5. All my data sets are still the same, I don't believe there is any special data set for verbum. One thing that I should have paid more attention to is that while it says 1,091 resources when I clicked new to you on the overview page http://www.logos.com/catholic#compare, it was not the case. I only ended up with about 400 books, which was still a super deal. 

Maybe logos knew I was still a protestant, so it did not change to the verbum look. Wink

Posts 26802
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 2:02 AM

Blair Laird:
I only ended up with about 400 books, which was still a super deal. 

I believe there are still a few for which we received the license but not the book - which sometimes means we get the book the evening before it is released.

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS