Catholic Collection

Page 2 of 2 (40 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 39 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 31278
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 2:05 AM

Unix living in celibacy:
Regarding quoting, I use the same standards on forums as I originally learned from emails.

Either way is fine ... we all get used to the way we ourselves do it. I can't claim that I'm consistent especially in emails.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1537
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 2:14 AM

MJ. Smith:
I believe there are still a few for which we received the license but not the book

I don't understand why that would be. I did not look book by book to see if I was missing anything. I just assumed it was because I own portfolio and some of the books I already owned.

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 2:19 AM

Unix living in celibacy:
It's a Finnish custom and I thought it was used in the U.S:

Only in certain rare circumstances: a male superior addressing a male inferior (e.g., an athletic coach to a player on the team, a boss to an employee, a military officer to a subordinate, a teacher to a student) in a pep-talk or disciplinary manner or when commanding obedience; occasionally a group of sporty male friends to each other. It's almost never done when addressing females, at least not without a title (Miss/Mrs./Ms.), and even then that would only be done in certain formal settings, or children being respectful to an adult.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 3:05 AM

Scripture Study matches Your needs extremely well then! If You can wait with the Papal Encyclicals, get just Scripture Study. Perhaps You can get a free or cheap PDF version of the Papal Encyclicals? Just gently advicing You!

Rosie Perera:
The main items I'm interested in are in Verbum Scripture Study (mostly what's in the Dave Armstrong Collection, but also St. Patrick, Apostle of Ireland; Saint Anselm’s Book of Meditations and Prayers; The Book of the Popes; History of the Councils of the Church; and Pictorial Lives of the Saints). But my price for Capstone is only $46.25 more than my price for Scripture Study, and I'd get the Papal Encyclicals, which are $299.95 if bought stand-alone. That's a pretty good deal.
Unix living in celibacy:
The question is then still: do You need Capstone or are the items You care about in a lower base-package?

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 4:54 AM

Rosie Perera:
When you purchased Verbum, did that become your new base package?

Hi Rosie:

I found that my price to add Verbum Capstone once I had Portfolio was very attractive so I went ahead with that.  When I check the "upgrade" page at http://www.logos.com/upgrade it stil says "Thank you for purchasing Portfolio" and my "About" page still shows that I am licensed to Portfolio V.5 (IH).

I had to manually use the Set Verbum to Yes command to change the interface but the command only changes the interface, you always have access to all your resources: the Verbum to Yes command just has your homepage pickup items from the Verbum Blog by default in addition to the other input. (Not sure if that is a homepage content option for you without a Verbum package but it might be. There is no settings option now to avoid the Apocrypha, not sure if that is general for Logos 5 or Verbum specific.  Not really many differences at this point between just adding the resources from a Verbum package and switching over to the new interface: I would speculate that the new Verbum interface is a step taken now to facilitate future catholic specific developments, not a major difference at this point, just primarily a recognition that we in the west recieved the original texts of the Word via Latin rather than directly from Greek or Hebrew etc.

I would also hazard a guess that future offers of `to you` upgrade prices on any new packages and bundles will be based on a detailled assessment of what you already own in the way of resources (as they were for this upgrade and for the various bundles offered this Christmas) rather than primarily being based on the name of the packages you currently have.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 5:27 AM

Unix living in celibacy:
Regarding quoting, I use the same standards on forums as I originally learned from emails.

Personally quote first with adequate words for context, then reply below on forum and emails.  By the way, Google email (GMAIL) removes quoted text in email threads.

Rosie Perera:
... I'm curious about one thing. I too already have Portfolio. When you purchased Verbum, did that become your new base package?

No.  personally have Portfolio v.5 (IH) for Base Package.  Upgraded from Logos 4 Platinum to Logos 5 Portfolio, followed by Verbum Capstone.

Thankful for Verbum Capstone dynamic pricing with 15 % discount => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/58108/423083.aspx#423083

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1537
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2013 8:47 PM

Does anyone know what the difference between catholic studies xl and verbum. Since I purchased verbum it shows that I own catholic studies large, but not extra large. I looked up some of the major works in xl and it says I own them. Is there an easy way to see which books I do not have in the xl package?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 13 2013 11:30 AM

Blair Laird:
Is there an easy way to see which books I do not have in the xl package?

A "New to You" indicator on Bundle pages would be greatly appreciated.

One idea is searching Logos.com for Catholic resources, which would be New to You (unlocked=no):

http://www.logos.com/products/search?q=catholic&unlocked=no

Search results include Resources that are not in packages and bundles (along with divergent view points).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 13 2013 12:27 PM

Blair Laird:
Does anyone know what the difference between catholic studies xl and verbum.

This question has been asked before somewhere. If your cost for XL is just a tiny, one book, sum, it's Losing the Sacred: Ritual, Modernity and Liturgical Reform (provided my memory serves me correctly).

Depending on why you want to study Catholicism, you may or may not find the following thread helpful: A question for my Catholic friends?

Rosie Perera:

except if it changes me to being a Verbum base package customer, which I wouldn't want.

You would simply be registered as Portfolio on the regular upgrade page, and Capstone on the Catholic one.

Rosie Perera:

What is this "set verbum to no" command?

New users buying Verbum get the Verbum interface automatically. Old users like you and me have to 'Set Verbum to yes' if we want it that way. It changes the Homepage, and the default prioritization (if you don't have your own), adds a couple of automatic collections to the Search dropdown, adds the same collections to the default PG and removes a couple of others, plus perhaps something more I can't remember right now.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1537
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 13 2013 1:49 PM

fgh:
This question has been asked before somewhere. If your cost for XL is just a tiny, one book, sum, it's Losing the Sacred: Ritual, Modernity and Liturgical Reform (provided my memory serves me correctly).

Thanks, I don't have that resource, that must be it because my xl upgrade is around 50.00. I did find out that I am missing 2 volumes from outlines of dogmatic theology. Not sure why that happened

http://www.logos.com/product/13855/outlines-of-dogmatic-theology

Does anyone know how to find out what I am missing from catholic library builder?

http://www.logos.com/product/20503/catholic-library-builder

By the way Dave Armstrongs book More Biblical Evidence for Catholicism I have to give a thumbs up to in its apologetic attempts. As a protestant I was left without a rebuttal on chapter 3 is Catholicism half pagan. Not all arguments in the book are as good as this one, but I believe this is an essential book for protestants to read even though it is a catholic apologetic...

http://www.logos.com/product/20320/dave-armstrong-collection

I will be purchasing the new set that is in pre-pub Lord willing.

http://www.logos.com/product/28535/catholic-apologetics-collection

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 13 2013 4:18 PM

Blair Laird:
that must be it because my xl upgrade is around 50.00

It was $29 with Xmas prices. Here's the older thread: If you can figure out...

Blair Laird:
I did find out that I am missing 2 volumes from outlines of dogmatic theology.

It's produced as one resource.

Blair Laird:
Does anyone know how to find out what I am missing from catholic library builder?

NABRE and Losing the Sacred. Possibly something else. How much is it for you?

Blair Laird:
By the way Dave Armstrongs book More Biblical Evidence for Catholicism I have to give a thumbs up to in its apologetic attempts.

From what I've seen, he's an easy read, but fairly shallow. There are better apologists. But I'm glad if he helps you.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1537
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 13 2013 4:32 PM

fgh:
It's produced as one resource

Thanks

fgh:
NABRE and Losing the Sacred. Possibly something else. How much is it for you?

$419.95 so am assuming that there are many books that I do not have. However, if I log out, and check the page I have the same price, and I am sure I have some of the books within the collection. 

fgh:
From what I've seen, he's an easy read, but fairly shallow. There are better apologists. But I'm glad if he helps you.

His argument on Catholicism being partly pagan left me without a response.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 13 2013 8:40 PM

Blair Laird:

http://www.logos.com/product/20503/catholic-library-builder

Catholic Library Builder preceded dynamic pricing so the $ 419.95 is the regular price.  Personally dreaming of dynamic upgrade pricing for all Builder and Collection sets.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 14 2013 4:18 AM

fgh:

Blair Laird:
By the way Dave Armstrongs book More Biblical Evidence for Catholicism I have to give a thumbs up to in its apologetic attempts.

I'm of the same opinion. If interested enough, you should check out Scott Hahn's Catholic for a Reason collection.

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 14 2013 6:04 AM

Not to derail the topic but has anyone created a PBB index or the full book of "The Moral Concordances of Saint Anthony of Padua"? I see that it is a public domain book.

EDIT: Oh wait, I see that it is offered in a bundle Big Smile thru Logos unfortunately to $$$ for me after the L5 upgrade. Sad

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 14 2013 10:51 AM

You might find someone who has done it but it would be against policy to offer a link to it here… similar to the Bibilical illustrator that is offered here complete except acts which logos sells.

-Dan

Posts 31278
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 14 2013 1:01 PM

It is included in the collection The Medieval Preaching and Spirituality Collection (34 vols.)

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 15 2013 5:41 AM

Thanks MJ.

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 15 2013 10:33 AM

A most useful pre-Pub that has just come up would also be 

The Teachings of the Church Fathers by John Willis

-Dan

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 18 2013 5:55 AM

Blair Laird:
Right now I am looking to study the catholic faith.
If you're still following this thread, a couple of new books showed up on prepub today that will be great additions:

Page 2 of 2 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS