Backup Logos 5

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 10 2013 6:15 PM

Let me see if I'm getting this correct. I'm using Windows 8. In Explorer, I go down to Users \ AppData \ Local \ Logos 4.

I copy / backup that directory to a Thumbdrive or other backup device. Suddenly & without warning, my Laptop goes up into ball of flame.

When I gallop out and purchase a new Toshiba Laptop, I simply copy the Logos directory into the new Explorer - Users \AppData\Local directory.

Clicking on the Setup.exe will install Logos 5 -------------------------- correct? And if not, what am I missing. 

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2013 6:41 PM

Bootjack:
I copy / backup that directory to a Thumbdrive or other backup device. Suddenly & without warning, my Laptop goes up into ball of flame.

Peace, Bootjack!           It seems to me you would use Method 2 of the following procedure!          *smile*        (at your own risk, it says, eh???!!!)

http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2013 6:54 PM

I'm taking it then that the following - Install Logos 4 from http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/Installer/Logos4Setup.exe - will create a new folder / directory.

Then I read this - 1.     Copy the following folders from backup to the new installation (first delete any existing folder)

·         \Logos4\Data

·         \Logos4\Documents

·         \Logos4\Users

(end quote)

So deleting these folders, I copy mine from the backup to where Logos is normally found. Is this correct?

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2013 7:06 PM

Bootjack!        You need the opinion of more than me.     For example, your post says Logos 5.  I have read in the forums that you get your set-up information script from your original Logos 5 order since it's a different creature than Logos 4.     That seems to be one of these reasons Logos has "semi-hid" the Logos 5 setup scripts   ....     so we poor users don't mess up our installation or our system ...

I think -- all in all -- that it should be as simple as using the L5 installation script - when that its done, then, to command the program to scan your external drive where your backup resources are...

I've never done it, so I encourage you to wait until someone knowledgeable comes along to give you some assurances    ...    *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2013 7:13 PM

Thanks for the reply Milford. I have no intention to do anything yet but one wants to be prepared when little green coils of blue smoke come up from behind ones' laptop.  :-)

Posts 24447
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2013 10:14 PM

Bootjack:
I'm taking it then that the following - Install Logos 4 from http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/Installer/Logos4Setup.exe - will create a new folder / directory.

With Logos 5 you download the installer from the link on your Order page. It will create a logos5 folder on your new machine.

Bootjack:

So deleting these folders, I copy mine from the backup to where Logos is normally found. Is this correct?

You copy the Data folder from backup to the new \Logos5 folder. Ditto for the Documents and Users folders.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2013 10:45 PM

Dave, I would have thought one copies the contents of the backup folder into the new folder created by Logos. If I were to copy the whole folder, does that not make a subdirectory when there really does not have to be one? I'm asking this to be absolutely sure.

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated!

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 6:58 AM

Dave Hooton:

With Logos 5 you download the installer from the link on your Order page. It will create a logos5 folder on your new machine.

Bootjack:

You copy the Data folder from backup to the new \Logos5 folder. Ditto for the Documents and Users folders.

Peace, Dave!           *smile*

Am glad you showed up!                    Thanks for helping out   ......    Again!!!

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 8:16 AM

My question still remains .............

Posts 146
OMykeO | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 5:12 PM

You will need to copy the directory (sub directories included in this copy)

Below are notes I kept when making backups or reinstalling on a new computer.

Maybe this will help. I found some of the directions in the forum not specific enough.

Method 2 with my additional notes

This method saves resource downloading and indexing but gets installation files from Logos servers.

1.     With Logos 4 or 5 running, Under Program Settings - I turned off the “Use Internet” and “Automatically Download Updates” (probably not necessary)

2.     I also did a rebuild index (takes a lot of time) (probably not necessary)

3.     Also optimized the hard drive.  (probably not necessary) (I use UltimateDEFRAG 4 so you can see just how messed up the files get, especially the index files)

4.     Close Logos 4 or Logos 5 (make sure the indexer isn’t running either)

5.     Right-click the Logos 4 or Logos 5 shortcut and select Open File Location

6.     Backup the ...\Logos4 or Logos5 folder from a working installation to an external drive OR

7.     Just Back up the directories labeled: (some have sub-directories which should be included also)

i.    Data

ii.    Documents

iii.    Users

1.     Logos 4  -  Install Logos 4 from http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/Installer/Logos4Setup.exe

·         if you want to install a beta version use the link from the Beta forum

·         select Custom installation and uncheck “Automatically Download Updates”

·         change the installation folder (eg. E:\, C:\Users\username) or leave as default.  (I put it on a separate hard drive for optimization purposes)

·         When the Sign-in window appears - immediately exit do not sign in

·         if the window does not appear go to the next Step

2.     Right-click the Logos 4 shortcut and select Open File Location

3.     Delete any existing folders in this new directory (Data, Documents, Users)  and then Copy the following folders from backup to the new installation directory

·         \Logos4\Data

·         \Logos4\Documents

·         \Logos4\Users

4.     Start Logos and sign-in ( give the program some time to think)

5.     Open some resources. If you get the message “This resource is no longer in your library”:-

·         I gave it a little more time to think otherwise they say

·         enter scan <path to backup resources> in the Command box

·         restart Logos

·         it will take a several minutes to discover your resources  (It took at least 1 hour with my computer  and the Platinum package)

·         Remember to turn back on the “Use Internet” and “Automatically Download Updates” under program settings

Logos 5 -  (install Logos 5 from the Upgrade link on your Order page)   http://www.logos.com/support/logos5/windows/install

Sign in to your Logos.com Account and follow the steps below.

1. Open your Order Summary page.
  2. Find your recent Logos 5 purchase then click on the  Order Number  purchase or upgrade.
  3. When your Order Summary appears, locate & click the appropriate download option for your operating system.
    • You may wish to check the System Requirements first, to be sure your computer supports the new engine.

Step 2: Installation

What to expect on Windows:

• After clicking the link in Order Summary, a new download should begin.
  • Choose "Run" and follow the prompts to install the program. If your browser only gives you a "Save" option, click Save and then double click on the file from your download bar or Downloads folder to run the installer.
    • if you want to install a beta version use the link from the Beta forum
    • select Custom installation and uncheck “Automatically Download Updates”
    • change the installation folder (eg. E:\, C:\Users\username) or leave as default.  (I put it on a separate hard drive for optimization purposes)
    • When the Sign-in window appears - immediately exit do not sign in
    • if the window does not appear go to the next Step

·         Right-click the Logos 5 shortcut and select Open File Location

• Delete any existing folders in this new directory (Data, Documents, Users)  and then Copy the following folders from backup to the new installation directory
    • \Logos5\Data
    • \Logos5\Documents
    • \Logos5\Users
  • Start Logos and sign-in ( give the program some time to think)
  • Open some resources. If you get the message “This resource is no longer in your library”:-
    • I gave it a little more time to think otherwise they say
    • enter scan <path to backup resources> in the Command box
    • restart Logos
    • it will take a several minutes to discover your resources  (It took at least 1 hour with my computer  and the Platinum package)
    • Remember to turn back on the “Use Internet” and “Automatically Download Updates” under program settings

Note - the default installation path is:
XP -> C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Logos4
Vista/Win7 -> C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Logos4
(substitute your actual username for username)

<path to backup resources> -> ...\Logos4\Data\randomId\ResourceManager\Resources

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 6:42 PM

Michael, thank you for this. One line that answered my original question and I'll show it here ... it states, "Delete any existing folders in this new directory."

So the new folders Logos makes then are to be deleted and I copy & paste the backed up ones in place of these.

I'll keep these notes perchance the time comes I need to reinstall or put on a new Laptop. Your help here is muchly appreciated!!!   :-)

Posts 24447
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 11:11 PM

Bootjack:

Michael, thank you for this. One line that answered my original question and I'll show it here ... it states, "Delete any existing folders in this new directory."

So the new folders Logos makes then are to be deleted and I copy & paste the backed up ones in place of these.

I'll keep these notes perchance the time comes I need to reinstall or put on a new Laptop. Your help here is muchly appreciated!!!   :-)

I can see where the confusion arises and will try to clarify that e.g.

3. Copy the following folders from backup to the new installation (after deleting the new folders, if present)

The steps need to be concise, so you have to reason that I don't intend you to delete folders from the backup when they are to be copied to the new installation! Also, that you should only delete those 3 (following) folders in Logos4/Logos5 as they are the only ones to be replaced.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2013 12:30 AM

Yo Dave. I'm understanding one doesn't delete the backup of Logos but rather the one(s) created by the new setup of Logos. If I'm getting it right, I would find Logos after setup has created it new, delete it and copy the Logos from my backup into the place where Logos was previously. Then I would start Logos & sign in. Hopefully I'm beginning to grasp what is being said. If not, pull out three hairs and try again. Thanks!   :-}

Posts 24447
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2013 2:21 AM

Bootjack:
If I'm getting it right, I would find Logos after setup has created it new, delete it and copy the Logos from my backup into the place where Logos was previously.

Yes, you find the new Logos installation folder (\Logos5) but it is the three folders within it  (Data, Documents, Users) that get deleted and replaced from the corresponding folders in the backup.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2013 4:42 AM

Got ya Dave. I see other directories within Logos, i.e. Install, Shared, & System. I'm going to take it from all that has been written, explained that one leaves these alone. Just the three are to be deleted and replaced.

Good! I appreciate the help given by you folks. Have a super weekend!!!  :-)

Posts 146
OMykeO | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2013 6:07 AM

I am thinking that one of these folders did not exist in the new install (the ones that need to be removed).  Don't worry if one is missing.  Be sure to copy all three folders from the backup to the new install. 

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2013 8:35 AM

Thanks Mike. I'll keep this in mind!  :-)

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS