BUG: Logos is Duplicating Notes

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 234
David | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 7 2013 12:02 PM

I have run into a fairly serious bug. I have been entering in notes both on my iPad and within Logos 5. This morning I realized that many of my notes (both on my iPad and in Logos 5) are now duplicated. This includes both notes and highlights. Thanks.

Dave

Posts 30661
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2013 12:16 PM

Are you using L5.0a SR4?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 234
David | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2013 12:53 PM

Alabama,

Yes, I am using L5.0a SR4. I am going through my notes and there are a lot of duplicates. Not really sure what is causing this.

Dave

Posts 192
LogosEmployee

Hi David,

Sorry about that!  When your notes document has been changed in two places (e.g. the desktop and your iPad), the server will merge the changes.  When a notes item in that document changes in two places, the server isn't confident which one to keep, so it keeps them both.  There may have been an issue that caused your notes items to appear modified to the server even though there was nothing significant that changed, resulting in their duplication.

This was likely caused by a bug on the iPad.  I'm currently investigating notes sync issues (like this one) with Logos for iPad and will post updates here when I discover something new.

Dustin

Software Dev at Logos.  How to post your logs: (Windows) (Mac)

Posts 234
David | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2013 7:42 PM

Dustin,

Thanks for your quick reply. I have counted over 30 duplicates in one notes document that have duplicated within the last couple of days. The biggest change I have made is upgrading from Logos 4 to Logos 5. I performed the upgrade on Monday afternoon.

I have attached an export of my notes file for your review. It appears that most of the duplicates are actually highlights where two different highlighting styles are applied. I don't feel as though there are any obvious difference between most of these duplicates that should result in conflicts. You may be right in that it is a bug of some kind. If I can help out in any way for your to resolve this issue, please let me know.

Dave3730.Matthew.docx

Posts 10890
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2013 3:07 AM

David Schlup:
It appears that most of the duplicates are actually highlights where two different highlighting styles are applied.

That would be normal as Logos merged Notes and Highlights a few upgrades back. Every highlight creates a note in the note file associated with that Highlight Palette. If you have two different highlights applied to a block of text, you gain two notes.

Posts 234
David | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2013 10:16 AM

Jack,

That's a good point. I do remember them merging the two a while back. However, I'm not confident that is what is going on in my situation. I have many similar highlights in my Notes document, most of them did not duplicate. This issue has only occurred in the last couple of days after I upgraded to Logos 5. The only highlights that duplicated were ones 1) that previously had a highlight, 2) where I removed the highlight and added a new one OR edited the color of the existing highlight. If I recall, I only did this in Logos 5 and not on my iPad.

Therefore, somewhere along the line, the Logos servers or Logos 5 confused a deleted or edited highlight with a new one, thus they duplicated the highlight. There shouldn't have been any conflict of versions because I only made the edit or delete in one place, in Logos 5.

It is possible that there are some legacy issues going on as you have alluded to. Many of these existing highlights I have had for a while. I was just trying to update the color on a number of them. Unfortunately, the scrolling through of notes is so slow that I many times just removed the highlight and added a new one instead of locating the highlight and editing it. That's another item for discussion. :)

At this point, I'll keep an eye on it. Outside of this issue, the syncing has really worked very well.  I just want to make this issue known in case there is a bug that needs to be worked out for others.

Dave

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS