Hebrew Lexicon

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 6 2013 1:20 PM

I have been trying to learn Hebrew for the past year or so.  I am going through another program where I am getting more vocabulary.  I am setting up vocabulary flash cards and they are working for me.  I am wanting to make my own lexicon from these words as well.  I just don't know how to type the Hebrew and the English on one line with dots connecting them. 

Hebrew...................................................................English translation

I would type everything from start to finish as that would give me another way to interface with the vocabulary.  That way I can organize everything myself.....it would be alphabetized of course and such. 

Posts 2584
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 6 2013 4:48 PM

To type the Hebrew I would suggest the Logos program Shibboleth. Then copy from Shibboleth into Word. By setting a tab with a "dot leader" you should be able to do this. Google "dot leader in Word" to get step by step instructions.

Shibboleth is available here - http://www.logos.com/shibboleth 

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 10:34 AM

David,

Thanks for the response.  I have a few additional questions.  I am using Libreoffice.  Is there an equivalent to dot leader in Word that does the same thing in LibreOffice?

Also I am use to typing in The Hebrew Keyboard.  is that the same thing as shibboleth?  I notice the text will become a mangal or something else but i can change it to SBL Hebrew and it seems to do what i  want. 

Does anyone know how to get a period in the be Keyboard my first interface with hebrew gave me the qal decenlsions and from that moment on it was the root only....for example  shin mem resh  is to guard or keep and aleph mem dalet is to stand....

william

Posts 2584
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 10:48 AM

I'm sorry, I am unfamiliar with LibreOffice. Another User said that cut and paste from Shibboleth works in OpenOffice so it MAY be possible.

Cutting and pasting from Shibboleth avoids some of the right to left and left to right issues of putting Hebrew into English word processing documents.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 8 2013 4:06 PM

David Thomas:
Cutting and pasting from Shibboleth avoids some of the right to left and left to right issues of putting Hebrew into English word processing documents.

LibreOffice is supposed to work decently anyway, if you check the option for right-to-left languages. (Haven't yet tried it with Hebrew myself, but that's what others here say.)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 8 2013 10:14 PM

William Bingham:
....for example  shin mem resh  is to guard or keep and aleph mem dalet is to stand....

LibreOffice 4 paragraph formatting has Tabs, which can have a fill character.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2013 10:14 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Keep Smiling

This is almost exatcly.....can you reverse this order?  Hebrew.........English?

I will give this more shots in the afternoon. 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 10 2013 11:09 AM

William Bingham:
This is almost exatcly.....can you reverse this order?  Hebrew.........English?

Order can be reversed, which places most significant letter next to dots:

Hebrew reads from right to left so most significant letter is on the right side.  Proverbs 31 has an alphabetic acrostic:

Proverbs 31 has 22 verses in alphabetic order.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS