Let's Crowdsource Missing Links

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 9 2013 7:11 PM

As our libraries are quickly growing particularly with older resources which are often referenced and which are not particularly obvious when they reference other resources it is harder and harder for Logos to keep track of interlibrary linking. 

We can click "Report Typo" on those missing links but I don't know if that is obvious for all readers (and I'm not sure if it is the most efficient way to report missing links).

SUGGESTION: Add a "Report Missing Link" item to the menu under "Report Typo". This would be "Fix Incorrect Link" when a link is inaccurate. This would launch a dialog with a spot to paste the link, a comment area. This way Logos could quickly review and either allow or disallow the link information and more rapidly improve our resources. 

Please use us. 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 5423
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2013 8:35 PM

Jacob Hantla:

As our libraries are quickly growing particularly with older resources which are often referenced and which are not particularly obvious when they reference other resources it is harder and harder for Logos to keep track of interlibrary linking. 

We can click "Report Typo" on those missing links but I don't know if that is obvious for all readers (and I'm not sure if it is the most efficient way to report missing links).

SUGGESTION: Add a "Report Missing Link" item to the menu under "Report Typo". This would be "Fix Incorrect Link" when a link is inaccurate. This would launch a dialog with a spot to paste the link, a comment area. This way Logos could quickly review and either allow or disallow the link information and more rapidly improve our resources. 

Please use us. 

I understand the QM issues, but something needs to give here. Especially in the Lexham Hebrew Interlinear, where there are hundreds of dead "See KB" links. That's it--really. Just "See KB". Wha??? Hmm How about a link to the "who-knows-where" place in HALOT where that crypitc reference hints at. Seriously. Needed. Now.

I agree that crowd sourcing this task, with a final Logos check off, is the way to go.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 19306
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2013 9:24 PM

Yes

And bump up in the priority queue any books that have missing links reported in them. The typos we can live with, but missing links really inhibit deep study.

Posts 5423
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2013 10:24 PM

Rosie Perera:

Yes

And bump up in the priority queue any books that have missing links reported in them. The typos we can live with, but missing links really inhibit deep study.

Agreed.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

Posts 270
KJ Niblett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2013 10:52 PM

Great idea, this will utilize the power of Logos users, and in the process also prioritize the linking of the most used resources first.

Posts 29797
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 10 2013 1:26 PM

+1 Smile

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 10836
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 10 2013 2:02 PM

Superb recommendation Jacob.

Posts 5423
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 9:25 PM

I find that many of the quotes in both NET Bible and TDNT are not live links. In NET, links to Jewish resources I own are often not live. Also, while most of the links that say "see note on verse X:YZ will actually link to the note so mentioned, I have found some that instead link to just the verse itself. That's not an insurmountable obstacle, just not as helpful as it should be...and it requires you to leave where you are to trace out the reference, which has the potential to disrupt your study flow.

The TDNT has thousands of references to Greek resources, obviously, and most of those links are dead...even though most of us have Perseus, which means that better than 90% of those links should have a viable target. I was quite pleased to see that Lidell-Scott actually did link to my Perseus titles! It made having them choking up my library a little less bothersome.

So I vote that TDNT get immediate attention, since it has the most bang for the buck where dead links are concerned. Yes

Posts 5423
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 10:07 PM

An example of what I'm talking about in NET is the following note for 1 Jn. 2:19...

40 tn See note on the translation of the Greek verb μένω (menō) in 2:6. Here μένω has been translated as “remained” since it is clear that a change of status or position is involved. The opponents departed from the author’s congregation(s) and showed by this departure that they never really belonged. Had they really belonged, they would have stayed (“remained”).

Biblical Studies Press, The NET Bible First Edition; Bible. English. NET Bible.; The NET Bible (Biblical Studies Press, 2006; 2006).

...where the 2:6 is a live link, but rather than displaying the note being referenced, all you get is 1 John 2:6. Not very helpful.

Just to give credit where due, most such links do give the note rather than the verse, which is of course a good thing. Smile

Posts 5423
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 2:45 PM

I am continuing to post in this thread with regard to missing links whether or not Logos approves of and decides to implement crowd sourcing as a means of addressing the issue.

Something that comes to mind is that I don't recall ever having any live links to Arabic resources, even though as a Semitic language that is considered cognate to Hebrew, there are probably thousands of references to Arabic words and vocabulary in the Logos stable of resources. Taking TWOT for example, which Bob said was going to get ushered to the front of the line in regard to typos per this thread, I know there are many references to Arabic within it. Though it may not be a common type of link for Logos to make (perhaps because Logos has no Arabic speaking faculty?), I would like (nay, love) to see links to some of the Arabic lexicons and/or other resources that we have in Logos. I realize the number is limited, but making these connections would be a HUGE boon for the overall Logos user experience, in my extremely learned opinion.*

*Okay, I may not be extremely learned, but "humble" has been used and abused long enough in regard to opinions...it is time it was given at least an occasional well-deserved rest. Geeked

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 8:23 PM

Missing links would be awesome!!!! for Vyrso books. Take for example the introduction to John Owen's Overcoming Sin and Temptation edited by Justin Taylor available from Crossway on Vyrso. It makes extensive reference to John Owen's works, which are available in Logos, but since these are not linked there is no way to get the power of Logos out of this resource...Also the references to Biblical passages are not always easily discernible by the computer and often links are to the wrong books of the Bible. I would love to fix this while I read. Crowdsourcing would at minimal cost to Logos make these works vastly more valuable in Vyrso, thus giving it an added free benefit over other platforms. If Logos would give credit for super-linkers I'm sure it would only incentivize us even more. 

There are multiple examples of this...just look at this screenshot for Example from Chan's Erasing Hell with a few easy opportunities to provide important links shown:

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 16 2013 1:02 AM

This is seriously needed. Otherwise, there would be less of an advantage over "flat" digital resources, e.g. Kindle, which can cost so much less.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 16 2013 1:46 AM

I'd love to see this too.

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 16 2013 2:31 AM

This is a really great suggestion, Jacob. I particularly agree that this would increase value of Vyrso resources exponentially. I really hope Logos take this on board.

Posts 29797
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 16 2013 7:04 AM

Andy Evans:
I particularly agree that this would increase value of Vyrso resources exponentially

I had correspondence with someone from Logos who said that they would "look into it." Hopefully they will give it more than just a quick look. Wink

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 16 2013 8:21 AM

Yes

alabama24:

I had correspondence with someone from Logos who said that they would "look into it." Hopefully they will give it more than just a quick look. Wink

Thanks for sharing this, Alabama. Fingers crossed. :)

Posts 5423
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 29 2013 4:32 AM

I want to give this post a "bump" and advocate for two resources in particular that I think should get the complete "fine tooth comb" treatment with regard to hyperlinks.

TDNT & NET Bible...and also TWOT, which Bob said would be getting some attention soon.

TDNT has beaucoup links and this is where Logos could make the gift of Perseus REALLY keep on giving. NET has a wide variety of potential links as well. Attention to these...and TWOT...would be greatly appreciated.

Yes

Posts 204
David Salazar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 1 2013 8:21 AM

bump

Posts 1432
Tonya J Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 9 2013 2:10 PM

Jacob Hantla:

I'll create a case for this suggestion.  As far as I am aware, incorrect and missing hyperlinks are fixed by the same department that fields typo reports, so efficiency is less an issue than clarity.

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2013 11:00 PM

I came up with a new idea for fixing links and adding links in Vyrso: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/69529/483297.aspx

Please consider. This is sorely missing and Logos has a big team of helpers who would love to help. 

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS