Difference between ANDEQUALS and BEFORE 0 WORDS

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 12 2013 8:33 PM

I tried 2 searches that should return identical results in the Swanson Greek New Testament:

1. (@J??N) ANDEQUALS (@J??M)
  2. (@J??N) BEFORE 0 WORDS (@J??M)

Search 1 reports 59 results in 40 verses. Search 2 94 results in 40 verses. If I look at the analysis window, it reports 131 results. In both cases the exact same verses and matching words are found.

What would cause this difference in calculating the number of results?

Posts 27049
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 9:46 PM

Primarily, Logos' ambivalent treatment of results from the same location. X BEFORE 0 WORDS Y is logically equal to X ANDEQUALS Y but BEFORE is primarily looking for X and Y as words separated in/by the surface text, so each word is counted in the results (note that separation is determined by the words in the surface text). 

Now λόγος ANDEQUALS word seeks locations where λόγος is translated as "word" and we might expect the result count to be one.

But (@J??N) ANDEQUALS (@J??M) is more fuzzy with two distinct "words" at the same level being required, so does the result count as 1 or 2? ESV gives 117 in 104 but LGNTI gives 234 in 104. If I use "BEFORE 0 WORDS" both bibles return 234 in 104.

I don't have Swanson, so the morph codes may have different meanings when replicating your search, and i can't replicate the result not being an exact multiple of 2.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 10:07 PM

I should have mentioned in the original posting, I am exploring instances where the tagged Greek text has ambiguous parsing and the text is tagged with more than one possible parsing. So the search is for adjectives that are parsed as either masculine or neuter. So the ANDEQUALS makes sense for the morphology search because it is 2 pieces of information about the same word, just as the Greek word and a gloss ("word") are 2 pieces of information about a single Greek word.

I have learned to avoid BEFORE types of searches in reverse interlinear Bibles, because Logos looks at word proximity in terms of the English translation, not the Greek or Hebrew text.

But this opened some interesting issues. If I repeat the same search on the NA27 with Logos Morphology, I get 0 matches. Apparently the NASB95 and ESV reverse interlinears are more generous with handling parsing ambiguities than the Logos NA27 Greek New Testament. It appears from looking at a few examples, the reverse interlinears are pure formal morphology, but the Logos NA27 attempts to make an interpretive decision on the ambiguous parsings in context (e.g. in Matt 11:9 περισσότερον is parsed as masculine, because it refers to a person "who is more").

But the count of results is bizzare in any case.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2013 8:09 AM

Bizarre = north of the equator

Ambivalent = south of the equator

Makes-query-easy-to-code = Bellingham WA

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 27049
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2013 4:52 PM

DMB:

Bizarre = north of the equator

Ambivalent = south of the equator