Highlighting Capabilities in the Reading Mode

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8
Robert Carroll | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 10 2009 7:22 AM

I am VERY pleased with the concept of pressing F11 and being brought into a reading mode, without having to reconfigure anything on my desktop.  I was disappointed, however, that I could not get highlighting support while in that mode.  When possible, could you realse the capabilities of using Logos 4's large array of highlighting capabilities for the reading mode.  Until then, I don't think I will be using that feature too often, as I "code" my reading using the highlighting features.

Thank You for a brave, but seemingly very prophetic change in your formatting and flexibility.

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 7:55 AM

You can use CTRL-K to mark text with the last used markup - but there is no way to undo the markup or to change the markup style in reading mode.  This really needs to be added to reading mode to make it effective.

Blessings,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 67
Aaron Kesson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 8:07 AM

RobertCarroll:
I am VERY pleased with the concept of pressing F11 and being brought into a reading mode, without having to reconfigure anything on my desktop.  I was disappointed, however, that I could not get highlighting support while in that mode. 

I concur with Robert.  I too love the reading view, but would like to have full control of highlighting features (maybe as a floating toolbar?) while reading.  I know CTRL-K will highlight with the previous used method, but you cannot undo or change method.

My thanks go out in advance!

Grace and Peace,

-Rev. Aaron Kesson

http://www.aaronkesson.com

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 8:17 AM

Aaron:
I concur with Robert.  I too love the reading view, but would like to have full control of highlighting features (maybe as a floating toolbar?) while reading.  I know CTRL-K will highlight with the previous used method, but you cannot undo or change method.

Place the highlighting palate in the pane containing the resource you want to read. Switch to the resource you want to read. go into read mode. Take your cursor to the top of the screen, this will bring a drop down menu of the tabs in the same pane as your resource. select highlighting tab, select the markup, go back to the top and select your resource and CTL + K will use the highlighting you switched to.

Is this along the lines of what you are looking for?

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 8:29 AM

Certainly better than I knew was available - but still a bit awkward.  It would be nice to have the markup menu open next to the reading text.

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 356
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 8:31 AM

Aaron:
I concur with Robert.  I too love the reading view, but would like to have full control of highlighting features (maybe as a floating toolbar?) while reading

Yes, you can float the Highlighting as a floating toolbar, then while in the reading mode use alt-tab... this also allows you to undo/erase while in the reading mode. Floating panels is one of the BEST features in Logos4!

Blessings,

Ralph

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 8:48 AM

RalphMauch:
Yes, you can float the Highlighting as a floating toolbar, then while in the reading mode use alt-tab... this also allows you to undo/erase while in the reading mode. Floating panels is one of the BEST features in Logos4!

My guess is that this will make Robert very happy, but if you do float the highlighting and then use a program called deskpins you can pin it on top so that its always visible. Last time I tried the Highlighting did not work across windows, so I'm glad it does now!

Posts 19692
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 10:50 AM

Philip Spitzer:

float the highlighting and then use a program called deskpins you can pin it on top so that its always visible.

Cool! Thanks for the tip. Nifty little program. Just tried it out. Here's the link.

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 12:07 PM

Rosie Perera:
CoWol! Thanks for the tip. Nifty little program. Just tried it out. Here's the link.

Do you know if this works with Win Vista or Win 7?  The documentation stops with WinXP.

Yours because His,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 8
Robert Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 3:33 PM

Thanks to one and all who have provided so many creative answers to my post.  After reading Morris Proctor's challenge to "rethink" how to do things, I also have come up with a solution which may or may not easier.  I have opened a book from my library which resulted in only one tab being open.  Then I went to tools and selected highlighting and added that as a seperate column.  Thus I have two columns open, one of with is about two inches wide for the various highlighting and the other is sized to my preference in reading.  I saved this layout as "Reading Layout.."    Then all I have to do is select the word or words I want to highlight or underline and move my cursor to the appropriate highlight and simply click it.  The text is now changed.   The ability to erase the highlighting is also available at the top of the highlighting column. When I want to simply read again all I have to do is select the reading layout and resize the window to my preference (and/or change the book as appropriate).

I do appreciate all the answers which appeared so rapidly.  Obviously Logos means it when they say this is a flexible program and there is more than one way to accomplish a task. 

Posts 19692
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 4:25 PM

Floyd Johnson:

Do you know if this works with Win Vista or Win 7?  The documentation stops with WinXP.

DeskPins works fine in Vista for me. Probably will work in Win 7, too. It's a pretty simple little program, and probably only calls fundamental APIs that have been the same under the hood for years in Windows. They probably just couldn't advertise that it would work in Vista and Win 7 since they haven't tested it yet. Or maybe they're just lazy about updating their website.

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 4:27 PM

Thanks Rosie --

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 4:40 PM

Philip Spitzer:

Aaron:

Place the highlighting palate in the pane containing the resource you want to read. Switch to the resource you want to read. go into read mode. Take your cursor to the top of the screen, this will bring a drop down menu of the tabs in the same pane as your resource. select highlighting tab, select the markup, go back to the top and select your resource and CTL + K will use the highlighting you switched to.

Is this along the lines of what you are looking for?

Philip, that's really great!  Thanks so much!

.......   Peace to you!               ............    Mel

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS