Did my highlighting disappear?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 6
C.A.Williams | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Mar 17 2013 4:31 PM

I had Logos 4 and upgraded to Logos 5. I had a significant amount of highlighting in resources, particularly in the ESV bible. Now I am looking at passages that used to be highlighted and there is nothing there. Did I miss something or are they in a new place or do I need to turn an option on? Any help would be appreciated.

Cliff Williams

Posts 29366
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 17 2013 4:42 PM

Welcome to the forums! Sorry you are having troubles. Tongue Tied

Are you familiar with where your highlight note files are kept? Are you familiar with the visual filter menu? 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 6
C.A.Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 17 2013 5:28 PM

I am familiar with the Visual Filter Menu I think: the 3 interlocking circles on the resource window correct? There is no option to "turn on highlights" that I can recognize. I did find a Note in my documents panel called Highlighter pens but it only lists highlights from three resources. I clicked on one and it brought up the document and those highlights are still there. I did notice they had a box with a line through them. Does that mean anything?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions! Smile

Cliff

Posts 2983
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 17 2013 5:40 PM

If a note file with highlights in it was deleted, the highlights would go away. Is there any chance you accidentally deleted a note file? Do you have any idea what you were doing when the highlights disappeared. 

You are right to look in the 3 interlocking circles. You won't see an option called "turn on highlights" but rather you will see a note file with the title of your highlighter palette that you used. Make sure that the checkboxes next to all your note files are turned on. Hopefully that fixes it; if not and a file got deleted, hopefully Logos can help with a recovery.

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 6
C.A.Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 17 2013 7:09 PM

I think I just deleted the file. I was doing some housecleaning a few weeks ago and I bet I deleted it then thinking it was a description of what colors I had been using for a study. Oops! Won't do that again!

What do the squares with the lines through them mean? I noticed that if I click one, I get a color picker. Does this allow me to change colors?

Cliff

Posts 26597
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 17 2013 8:01 PM

C.A.Williams:
I think I just deleted the file. I was doing some housecleaning a few weeks ago and I bet I deleted it then thinking it was a description of what colors I had been using for a study. Oops! Won't do that again!

You should be able to recover deleted note files from https://documents.logos.com/?deleted=true

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 32168
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 17 2013 8:56 PM

C.A.Williams:
What do the squares with the lines through them mean?

I think you are referring to the icon that means no icon will be displayed to the note

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 29366
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 18 2013 7:51 AM

C.A.Williams:
What do the squares with the lines through them mean? I noticed that if I click one, I get a color picker. Does this allow me to change colors?

To illustrate MJ's response...

In the screen shot below, notice that I have a resource and a note file open side by side. The "square with the line" means that a note has no note indicator. It is important for you to understand that Logos merged the notes & highlights feature a while back (I believe it was in 4.3). When you create a highlight, a "note" is created, without a "note indicator." I added one in for you to see. Notice just to the left of the green highlighted passage, there is a yellow star. That is the note indicator. When you click on the "square with the line," you can add a note indicator (as I have done here). You can also change the color of the highlighter.

FYI - A note indicator is handy if you want to make comments on the highlighted passage. When you hover over the note indicator in the resource, the note will appear in a popup. You can also click on the note indicator to take you to the note file.

Posts 6
C.A.Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 20 2013 8:51 PM

That clears things up a bit. Do you create a notes document per resource or just use the one-file-holds-all method? I have gotten the latter just because I didn't watch what I was doing. If you were doing a study, would you use a common notes file for all the resources you used?

Thanks for the help! 

Cliff

Posts 26597
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 20 2013 9:11 PM

C.A.Williams:
just use the one-file-holds-all method? I have gotten the latter just because I didn't watch what I was doing.

Were you able to recover the file from My Documents?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 29366
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 20 2013 9:25 PM

C.A.Williams:
Do you create a notes document per resource or just use the one-file-holds-all method?

I personally create a note document for each resource. I wish Logos would allow me to assign a note document to a resource, but until they do I use the "last used" note file method. 

C.A.Williams:
If you were doing a study, would you use a common notes file for all the resources you used?

If I were teaching regularly, I think I might be inclined to create 1) thematic note files and 2) temporary ones. I would still utilize resource specific ones. A sermon or sermon series would probably receive a temporary note file… or it might be a permanent one, but I would erase the highlights (but keep any actual notes) after I was done with the series. 

Posts 6
C.A.Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 31 2013 6:12 PM

Yes, I was able to get it back and much of my highlighting came back.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS