Big Favor if someone could please do it...

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8629
DAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 27 2013 6:44 PM

I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade to just Silver or go for Gold (and build from there), but I'm struggling a little bit with the Exegetical Summaries Series.  I'm not sure if I need it and the previews don't help me much to decide.  Could anyone who owns these post a  complete chapter with introduction to help me evaluate the content and make a decision.  How about 2 John complete comments since it's only a one chapter letter.

I will greatly appreciate the help if possible.  For the little preview I've seen, it seems like if I don't own all the major commentaries that it makes a reference to, then I can't really use them much (kind of like the Lexham Guides), but then again, I can't really tell unless I see a full preview of the contents of at least one full chapter.

Thanks again and blessings!

DAL

Posts 9703
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2013 7:00 PM

I'm not sure if you realize but 2 John is 21 pages long. I don't think it wise to post it all here but here are the first two verses which should give you a good taste of what it is like. Unfortunately the formatting does not show up and that is what I consider one of the strong points. Hope this helps.

EXEGETICAL SUMMARY OF 2 JOHN

p 198  Title: The Second of John
 QUESTION—Who wrote this letter?
  The writer calls himself ὁ πρεσβύτερος ‘the Elder’. The similarities of structures, word choices, and topics between the Gospel of John, 1 John, 2 John, and 3 John lead most commentators to assign them to a single author [AB, Alf, Br, Brd, EBC, EGT, ICC, Lns, My, NIC, NTC, TH, TNTC, Ws; NJB]. Most think that the writer was the Apostle John and assume that he was also known as “the Elder” [Alf, Br, Brd, EBC, EGT, Lns, My, NTC, TNTC, Ws; NJB]. Some think that it was not the Apostle John [AB, Herm, HNTC, ICC, NCBC, WBC], but may have been a follower of the Apostle John [AB, WBC].

DISCOURSE UNIT: 1–3 [AB, Alf, Br, EBC, EGT, Herm, Lns, NCBC, NIC, NTC, TH, TNTC, WBC, Ws]. The topic is the opening formula [AB], the address and greeting [Alf, Br, EGT, Herm, Lns, NCBC, NIC, NTC, TH, TNTC, WBC, Ws], the introduction [EBC].

1 The eldera to-(the)-chosenb ladyc and to-her children,d
    LEXICON—a. πρεσβύτερος (LN 53.77) (BAGD 2.b.β. p. 700): ‘elder’ [BAGD, HNTC, LN, Lns; all versions], ‘presbyter’ [AB, BAGD, WBC].
    b.      ἐκλεκτός (LN 30.93) (BAGD 1.b p. 242): ‘chosen’ [BAGD, HNTC, LN; NASB, NIV, NJB, REB, TNT], ‘elect’ [AB, Lns, WBC; KJV, NAB, NRSV], ‘dear’ [TEV].
    c.      κυρία (LN 87.54) (BAGD 1, 2. p. 458): ‘lady’ [AB, BAGD, HNTC, LN, WBC; all versions], ‘mistress’ [BAGD, Lns].
    d.      τέκνον (LN 10.36) (BAGD 2.c p. 808): ‘child’ [AB, BAGD, HNTC, LN, Lns; all versions], ‘offspring’ [WBC].
 QUESTION—Why does the writer call himself ὁ πρεσβύτερος ‘the elder’?
    1.      The term means only that he was an elderly person [Alf, HNTC, My]. His age and experience gave him qualities valued by the church [HNTC].
    2.      The term was used of older respected Christian leaders [AB, Br, Herm, ICC, Lns, NCBC, NTC, TH, TNTC, Ws]. It was an honorary title given to the surviving apostles [Br, ICC, Lns, NTC, TNTC, Ws] and to those who handed down the Christian traditions [AB, Herm, ICC, NCBC, TH].
    3.      The term indicates that he was a church official [EBC, NIC, WBC]. He was equivalent to a bishop who had authority over the region in which his readers lived [EBC].
 QUESTION—What is meant by ἐκλεκτῇ ‘chosen’?
  It means that God chose the lady to belong to himself [BAGD, HNTC, Lns, NIC, WBC; REB, TNT] and to give her salvation [TH]. It was a standard designation for Christians [TH].
   p 199  QUESTION—To whom does κυρίᾳ ‘lady’ refer, and to whom does τέκνοις αὐτῆς’ ‘her children’ refer?
    1.      ‘Lady’ is a metaphorical reference to a church, and the individual members of that congregation are called her ‘children’ [AB, BAGD, Br, Herm, HNTC, ICC, Lns, My, NCBC, NIC, NTC, TH, TNTC, WBC, Ws; NJB, TEV]. One commentator thinks that instead of one particular church, the letter was to be passed from church to church, each of which in turn would be the lady [Herm]. The children need not be all males [Alf], the designation ‘children’ includes daughters [My].
    2.      It refers to an individual lady and her children [Alf, Brd, EGT].
     2.1      Her name is not mentioned [Brd]: to the elect lady.
     2.2      The lady’s name is κυρία [Alf, EGT]: to the elect Kyria.

whom I lovea inb truth,c
    LEXICON—a. pres. act. indic. of ἀγαπάω (LN 25.43): ‘to love’ [AB, HNTC, LN, Lns, WBC; all versions]. See this word at 1 John 2:10; 3:10, 11, 14, 18, 23; 4:7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 19, 20, 21; 5:1, 2; 3 John 1.
    b.      ἐν with dative object (LN 70.4): ‘in’ [AB, HNTC, WBC; all versions except TEV], ‘in connection with’ [Lns], ‘within the fellowship of’ [TNT].
    c.      ἀλήθεια (LN 70.4) (BAGD 3. p. 36): ‘truth’ [AB, HNTC, Lns, WBC; all versions except TEV]. The phrase ἐν ἀληθείᾳ ‘in truth’ is translated as an adverb modifying ‘I love’: ‘truly’ [BAGD; TEV], ‘really’ [LN].
 QUESTION—To whom does οὕς ‘whom (masculine plural)’ refer?
  It refers to both the lady and her children [AB, Alf, Br, Brd, EGT, My, TH, TNTC, Ws].
 QUESTION—What relationship is indicated by the preposition phrase ἐν ἀληθείᾳ ‘in truth’?
    1.      It refers to the truth of the gospel [AB, Alf, Br, Brd, EBC, EGT, Herm, HNTC, ICC, Lns, NCBC, NIC, TNTC, WBC]: whom I love in connection with the truth. He loves them as fellow believers, all believing the truth [Br]. Love is based on fellowship in Christian knowledge and faith [EGT]. Love is regulated by the truth [ICC]. He loves in a way that is consistent with Christian revelation [AB, NIC]. Truth abiding in the writer brings about such Christian love [Alf].
    2.      It is adverbial, indicating the manner in which he loves [BAGD, ICC, LN, My, TH, Ws; TEV]: whom I truly love.

and not I onlya butb also all the-(ones) having-knownc the truth,d
    LEXICON—a. μόνος (LN 58.51) (BAGD 1.a.γ. p. 527): ‘only’ [AB, BAGD; all versions except REB], ‘alone’ [BAGD, HNTC, LN, Lns, WBC; REB].
    b.      ἀλλά (LN 89.125): ‘but’ [AB, HNTC, Lns, WBC; all versions except NJB], ‘for so’ [NJB].
    c.      perf. act. participle of γινώσκω (LN 32.16) (BAGD 6.a.α p. 161): ‘to know’ [BAGD, HNTC, Lns, WBC; KJV, NASB, NIV, NRSV, REB, TEV], ‘to come to know’ [AB, BAGD; NAB, NJB, TNT], ‘to come to   p 200  understand’ [LN]. The perfect tense indicates that the knowledge was acquired in the past and is now a present possession [Brd, Lns, NIC, WBC]. The focus is on the present knowledge [NTC].
    d.      ἀλήθεια (LN 72.2) (BAGD 2.b. p. 36): ‘truth’ [AB, BAGD, HNTC, LN, Lns, WBC; all versions].
 QUESTION—What is meant by πάντες οἱ ἐγνωκότες τὴν ἀλήθειαν ‘all who know the truth’?
  ‘The truth’ refers to the truth of the gospel [BAGD, Brd, ICC, Lns, My, NIC, TH, TNTC, WBC, Ws] and to know the truth includes accepting it and being committed to it [NIC]. Those who know the truth are all Christians [AB, Alf, Br, EBC, EGT, Herm, HNTC, ICC, Lns, My, NCBC, NTC, WBC]. There is an implied contrast with the false teachers who do not know the truth [EBC, HNTC, ICC, My, NTC, TH, TNTC, WBC].

2 because-ofa the truthb remainingc ind us,
    LEXICON—a. διά with accusative object (LN 89.26): ‘because of’ [NIV, NJB, NRSV, TNT], ‘because’ [TEV], ‘on account of’ [HNTC, WBC], ‘for the sake of’ [Lns; KJV, NASB, REB], ‘based on’ [AB; NAB].
    b.      ἀλήθεια (LN 72.2): ‘truth’ [AB, HNTC, Lns, WBC; all versions]. See this word at v. 1.
    c.      pres. act. participle of μένω (LN 68.11): ‘to remain’ [LN, Lns, WBC; NJB, TEV], ‘to abide’ [AB; NAB, NASB, NRSV], ‘to dwell’ [HNTC; KJV, REB], ‘to live’ [NIV], ‘to be’ [TNT]. See this word at 1 John 2:14.
    d.      ἐν with dative object (LN 89.119): ‘in’ [AB, HNTC, Lns, WBC; all versions except REB], ‘among’ [REB]. See this word at 1 John 2:14.
 QUESTION—What relationship is indicated by διά ‘because of’?
  It indicates the reason that the writer and all those who know the truth love the elect lady and her children [Alf, Brd, EBC, Herm, ICC, Lns, NIC, TH, TNTC, WBC, Ws]: we love all of you because of the truth that remains in us. The truth creates an inner compulsion to love [NIC, WBC]. They love each other because of the truth they share [TNTC, Ws]. Some consider this clause to be directly related to ‘I love’, and the clause ‘and not only I, but also all who know the truth’ is parenthetical [Brd, TH, WBC; NIV]. Others connect it directly to the clause ‘all who know the truth’ to show how the truth is the motivation for love [Alf, EBC]. One commentator refers to two relationships: all who know the truth know it because the truth abides in all Christians and that abiding truth causes them to love the lady and her children [AB].
 QUESTION—What is meant by τὴν ἀλήθειαν ‘the truth’?
  It means the Christian truth as in the preceding clause [AB, Brd, EBC, Herm, Lns].
 QUESTION—To whom does ἡμῶν ‘us’ refer?
  It is inclusive and refers to the writer together with those to whom he writes [Alf, ICC, Lns, My, NIC, TH, TNTC, WBC, Ws].

p 201  and will-be witha us to the age.b
    LEXICON—a. μετά with genitive object (LN 89.108): ‘with’ [AB, HNTC, Lns; all versions], not explicit [WBC].
    b.      αἰών (LN 67.95) (BAGD 1.b. p. 27): ‘age’. The phrase εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα ‘to the age’ is translated ‘forever’ [AB, HNTC, Lns, WBC; all versions], ‘to eternity’ [BAGD].
 QUESTION—What is the significance of the change from ἐν ‘in’ to μετά ‘with’?
  Some commentators think there is no semantic difference intended [TH, TNTC, WBC]. Others make distinctions. The truth remains in our hearts and will be with us as a companion [Lns]. ‘With’ emphasizes the objectivity of the truth [My].

Anderson, J. (2008). An Exegetical Summary of 1, 2, and 3 John (2nd ed.) (197–201). Dallas, TX: SIL International.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 12247
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2013 7:00 PM

DAL:
How about 2 John complete comments since it's only a one chapter letter.

yeah but that's over 20 book pages in "An exegetical summary of 1, 2 and 3 John" - I hope eleven pages are enough to get the feel of it - which is  the first half of the verses: 5824.EXEGETICAL SUMMARY OF 2 JOHN v 1-6.docx

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 12247
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2013 7:03 PM

Bruce Dunning:
Unfortunately the formatting does not show up and that is what I consider one of the strong points.

I started with posting two verses as well, but found the missing footnote markers etc unbearable, that's why I opted for Word.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 9703
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2013 7:09 PM

NB.Mick:

Bruce Dunning:
Unfortunately the formatting does not show up and that is what I consider one of the strong points.

I started with posting two verses as well, but found the missing footnote markers etc unbearable, that's why I opted for Word.

I think you made a wise choice although it may also be helpful to see the content immediately.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8629
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2013 7:10 PM

Thank you very much guys!

It's kind of tough because Gold has Theological Dictionary of the NT (10 Vols.) even if I don't use Exegetical Summaries.  One thing (it may be just me, correct me if I'm wrong) but it seems like you are given what others say and you pick and choose what you think it's best for you.  I don't know, I'm still debating, but I have plenty of time to make a decision, so I'll evaluate everything I have and then go from there.

Blessings!

DAL

Posts 9703
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2013 7:12 PM

The advice that I have often heard and agree with is to purchase the best you can afford at the time. I don't think you will regret going for Gold if you can swing it financially.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2013 8:53 PM

Logos 5 Gold includes United Bible Societies (UBS) Handbooks.  Wiki Logos Resource Reviews has links => UBS New Testament Handbook Series and => UBS Old Testament Handbook Series

Also noticed => SIL (Exegetical) Summary

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1359
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2013 8:58 PM

DAL:

I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade to just Silver or go for Gold (and build from there), but I'm struggling a little bit with the Exegetical Summaries Series.  I'm not sure if I need it and the previews don't help me much to decide.  Could anyone who owns these post a  complete chapter with introduction to help me evaluate the content and make a decision.  How about 2 John complete comments since it's only a one chapter letter.

I will greatly appreciate the help if possible.  For the little preview I've seen, it seems like if I don't own all the major commentaries that it makes a reference to, then I can't really use them much (kind of like the Lexham Guides), but then again, I can't really tell unless I see a full preview of the contents of at least one full chapter.

I have really enjoyed the Exegetical Summaries (which I bought separately before L5). I think they are a good resource.

I think the Gold has a number of great resources, easily justifying the difference in price between Silver and Gold.

The other way of looking at the comparison is to determine if there are other resources that would be more valuable to you for the price differences.

Normally, the base packages provide the best values. 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS