origin of the concept of god

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 36 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3400
Milkman | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 2 2013 6:13 PM

Does Logos have any books that specifically speak to:

1. The earliest concepts of g(G)od.
  2. How each culture, beginning from recorded written/picto history, viewed the divine.
  3. Why there are parallels between Judaic and non-Judaic views of god that differ so much and I might add differences between 1st century to 5th century parallel views as well.
  4. Modern interpretations of the god-concept that deny or substantiate biblical historicity.

Finally,

• putting faith aside for the moment, a well documented, learned and apologetic resource that "proves" that the christian god is all that we trust him to be.

mm.

mm.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 7:10 PM

Sounds like a prof syllabus paper - good luck!

what was the recommended[suggested] reading list?

R4m

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 3400
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 7:18 PM

@ R4m,

Actually it's not a syllabus. As far as the reading goes; That's what I'm looking for.

mm.

mm.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 7:24 PM

no pun intended but try the history channel, they do a fantastic job of the Maya's and how they were so far advanced.......and they use the Bible as well.

Posts 3400
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 7:31 PM

Thanks but no thanks. I've pvr'd the entire series, but found that many if not most of the so-called experts do not reference their claims. Many lean on a guy by the name of Sitchin who doesn't reference his claims regarding divine origins. Also, there is a lot of chatter around the idea of aliens etc. Now this is intriguing and pulls the unstable undocked, but just to fanciful for me.

Any other suggestions that are worthwhile?

mm.

mm.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 7:34 PM

not at the moment, kinda frazzled from sorting and converting documents....

Posts 3400
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 7:51 PM

Well at least you're a conditioned (frazzled/frizzled) evangelist (converting) working hard. Thanks for the advice.

mm.

mm.

Posts 29102
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 7:58 PM

None are quite what you want but:

God by Timothy A. Robinson

The Law of God: The Philosophical History of an Idea by Remi Brague and Lydia G. Cochrane

Gods, goddesses, and myths of creation: A thematic source book of the history of religions by Mircea Eliade

A fourth possibility remains on the tip of my tongue

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 8:06 PM

Also check this resource:

The Early History of God

Posts 3400
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 8:06 PM

Hopefully the cat doesn't eat it. Eliade's and Brague's books look interesting.

mm.

mm.

Posts 3400
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 8:11 PM

@ David B.

I'm not sure how to take Smith. I have his, Origins of Biblical monotheism. I guess as they say, The verdict is still out. Good suggestion about his other book. It may be a soon-future acquisition.

mm.

mm.

Posts 29102
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 8:16 PM

The one I couldn't think of is:

The Idea of the Holy by Rudolf Otto

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3400
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 8:23 PM

@MJ

What a great book. I read it in seminary. Looking for something a bit less subjective.

mm.

ps. Good to see the cat didn't get fed.

mm.

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 9:42 PM

A search for "origin of the idea of god" in my Library produced:

Milkman:
putting faith aside for the moment, a well documented, learned and apologetic resource that "proves" that the christian god is all that we trust him to be.

Aren't the two halves of that sentence mutually incompatible?

Posts 3400
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 7:19 AM

@ Rosie.

"mutually incompatible?"

I was thinking of the "trust him to be" idea that was built on the foundation of documented and substantiated proofs. One could say more scientific, but that's an argument in and of itself and may be part of this question. 

However, my main thrust of the thread is to find how the whole god-concept came to the first human mind. Is it/was it an eternity in our hearts, an innate thought inserted from outside us or was it something humankind invented to explain the unexplainable? Such as death, poverty, pain, winter storms and summer droughts.

So in a nut-shell. Did the first guy/woman who "thought" of god come up with it herself or did it come from an outside intelligent source other than human. Essentially alien, but not like the ancient alien ideas one can read on the internet or listen to on mid-night radio shows.

mm.

mm.

Posts 2006
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 7:25 AM

Milkman:

So in a nut-shell. Did the first guy/woman who "thought" of god come up with it herself or did it come from an outside intelligent source other than human. Essentially alien, but not like the ancient alien ideas one can read on the internet or listen to on mid-night radio shows.

I hope I am not hijacking the thread and taking it into theological waters, I am just trying to clarify the question... So you are intimating that Gen 3:8 is not an accurate/historically reliable source? or are you looking for extra-biblical sources to validate the Biblical account?

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 3400
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 7:47 AM

@ David,

Can you hold to the historical reliability of the Bible and the Genesis creation account in particular and still search for the answers to my thread? Or does looking for answers to my thread necessitate a denial of the inspiration of God's Word?

mm.

mm.

Posts 2006
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 8:12 AM

Milkman:

@ David,

Can you hold to the historical reliability of the Bible and the Genesis creation account in particular and still search for the answers to my thread? Or does looking for answers to my thread necessitate a denial of the inspiration of God's Word?

mm.

No offense intended. I went back and re-read your original post. The "clarification" that I quoted and the title of the thread seemed to give me an impression that was other than the specifics in your original post.   Something inside of me just bristled with the notion that the "concept of God" was something that came from within ancient human civilizations, rather than a reality that started within the eternal God and that a "god awareness" was part of the psyche of original created humanity. I just had some discussions over spring break with my son who is a university student. His Intro to Philosophy professor has been teaching some concepts as if they were undisputed realities. (i.e. there is no absolute truth).   My apologies. It appears I read into your statement something that was not there.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 3400
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 8:36 AM

@ David,

No offense taken. It was a great question.

However, and no offense intended. You didn't reply to my last post. 

mm.

mm.

Posts 10959
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 9:59 AM

I 'bristled' at the question (hair-brush?). In early Arizona, apache warriors put on extremely powerful war-paint on their faces, which was capable of blocking the high-speed lead bullets of the intruders. Whether a 'god' was involved or not is/was arguable. Just pointing out that many cultures dealt in 'magic', talismans, lucky rabbit-feet without the necessity of conscious 'gods'. It wouldn't surprise me if that is also today's non-religious. 

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS