incorrect statistics from a search

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 54
Michael Burer | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 4 2013 8:26 AM

I did a morphological search which returned wrong numbers in the hits. Long and short, I searched for every plural occurrence of ἁμαρτία in Paul. Twelve verses were returned with the word once in each verse, but the results said 24 results in 12 verses. Something got counted twice, as the results should have said 12 results in 12 verses. (See attached screenshot.) Can anyone explain what is going on and how the software got 24 results?

Thanks,

Michael Burer

Posts 24763
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2013 8:51 AM

Hi Michael

Unfortunately (in my view) when doing a morph search Logos returns a hit against the search term and a hit against the morphology, hence you get the double count.

See http://community.logos.com/forums/p/59374/422719.aspx#422719 for a similar discussion on this.

Graham 

Posts 47
JD | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2013 6:29 PM

12 results in 12 verses in Logos 4 so far...

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2013 7:28 PM

Michael Burer:

I did a morphological search which returned wrong numbers in the hits. Long and short, I searched for every plural occurrence of ἁμαρτία in Paul. Twelve verses were returned with the word once in each verse, but the results said 24 results in 12 verses. Something got counted twice, as the results should have said 12 results in 12 verses. (See attached screenshot.) Can anyone explain what is going on and how the software got 24 results?

Thanks,

Michael Burer

My thought (emphasize, thought) is that it must be counting the lemma form as well as the text form.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2013 7:47 PM

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 24763
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2013 1:34 AM

Hi R4M

Not sure what you are seeking to indicate here.

This seems consistent with double-counting when checking for morph terms as discussed above.

Am I missing your point?

Graham 

Posts 26693
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2013 2:11 AM

Graham Criddle:
Unfortunately (in my view) when doing a morph search Logos returns a hit against the search term and a hit against the morphology, hence you get the double count.

In practice, there are two search terms (the lemma and the morph code), so the results are counted the same as a search for Jesus AND John. You and I know that the result is for a lemma with a specific attribute but Logos' Search regards them as two objects.

However, if you search a reverse interlinear bible you won't get the double count. Inconsistent... Yes!

Alternatively, search UBS4 (not the Interlinear).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS