Spicq Hebrews Commentary - on PrePub for over a year now!!

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 17 2013 3:55 PM

Happy as I am that full required interest in the 2 volume Justification and Variegated Nomism was reached on PrePub after less than a week, I am somewhat appalled that Spicq's outstanding 2 volume commentary on Hebrews has been on PrePub for $40 for over a year and has yet to reach full required interest. In fact, if I have to chose between the two, I would want the Spicq set over Justification and Variegated Nomism by a long shot.

http://www.logos.com/product/17734/the-epistle-to-the-hebrews

This being a Logos translation project, it will probably take a while once it becomes fully qualified. But unlike Justification and Variegated Nomism and most other pending Logos recources, Spicq's Hebrews is not available in English any other way. And every day that goes by without it is a shame.

This belongs in every Logos users library. A go-to-before-all-other recource for Hebrews this will likely be for many.

Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2013 4:24 PM

Randal M Lane:

Happy as I am that full required interest in the 2 volume Justification and Variegated Nomism was reached on PrePub after less than a week, I am somewhat appalled that Spicq's outstanding 2 volume commentary on Hebrews has been on PrePub for $40 for over a year and has yet to reach full required interest. In fact, if I have to chose between the two, I would want the Spicq set over Justification and Variegated Nomism by a long shot.

http://www.logos.com/product/17734/the-epistle-to-the-hebrews

This being a Logos translation project, it will probably take a while once it becomes fully qualified. But unlike Justification and Variegated Nomism and most other pending Logos recources, Spicq's Hebrews is not available in English any other way. And every day that goes by without it is a shame.

This belongs in every Logos users library. A go-to-before-all-other recource for Hebrews this will likely be for many.

And once we get that fully vested, another project I thoroughly endorse would be to translate Spicq's commentary on the Pastoral Epistles. A summation that extols its virtues from volume 23 #1 (October 1997) of Themelios:  

But the major exposition of direct Pauline authorship comes from the revised, massive work of C. Spicq, running to two volumes (Études bibliques, 19694). Spicq is primarily (but by no means only) a lexicographer, and his commentary is a mine of information on the occurrences of the vocabulary in other Greek sources (again all done before the TLG came on the scene!; cf. his recent Theological Lexicon of the New Testament). This is the most thorough commentary on the epistles, with lengthy discussions of virtually every point of importance, and marked by a strong Catholic piety.

Searching my Logos library reveals almost as many hits as for that set as Hebrews, perhaps even more.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2013 5:21 PM

Equally at a loss for words of encouragment.  In from the beginning.

Yes

Posts 12078
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2013 4:18 AM

Steve:

In from the beginning.

Same here - but now it's nearly done, Spicq is "almost there"!

While we're at it, may I divert the attention shortly to http://www.logos.com/product/18527/faith-in-the-new-testament-by-adolf-schlatter-english-and-german which still is "gathering interest"...

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 9627
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2013 5:43 AM

NB.Mick:
Same here - but now it's nearly done, Spicq is "almost there"!

I'm not sure why it has taken as long as it has. Let's push it into production.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2013 5:52 AM

NB.Mick:

but now it's nearly done, Spicq is "almost there"!

Not sure what you mean by "now". Progress is exactly where it was when I wrote this yesterday.

Posts 12078
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2013 6:00 AM

Randal M Lane:

NB.Mick:

but now it's nearly done, Spicq is "almost there"!

Not sure what you mean by "now".

I confirmed that I am one of the group who was in from the beginning (or so I seem to remember) - March 8, 2012 says the PP-page. Back then, the status clearly was less than "almost there", whereas now it is, which I equated with "it's nearly done" - obviously we need a couple of signers more, and your thread may give this the required attention, especially since some of today's forum users weren't even aware of this PrePub project. 

Posts 138
LogosEmployee
Clifford Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2013 7:23 AM

Randal,

Thank you for your push for Spicq's Hebrews commentary. Spicq is sadly one of the most underrated NT scholars of the last century. This work on Hebrews is one of the best critical commentaries on the book that was published in the 20th century; it is a shame that it was not translated much, much sooner. Like you, if I had to choose between Justification and Variegated Nomism and Spicq, it would be Spicq without a second of hesitation!

And your plug for his Pastoral commentaries tugs at my heart! We think alike you and I. Smile

Thanks again for taking up the cause and let's get Spicq into production.

Cliff

Posts 1279
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2013 9:25 AM

I just got in! I had looked at this before and didn't get in for some reason. I checked out bestcommentaries.com (which I usually look at to base my commentary buying descisions through) and I can't find it at all. I'm suspecting that it must not be there because it hasn't been translated into english. Could anyone who is somewhat familiar with it say where they would place this commentary in the list of these other Hebrews commentaries from bestcommentaries.com: 

http://bestcommentaries.com/hebrews/

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2013 9:45 AM

Reading Randal's other posts, I like his taste and will trust his judgement that this is a good work. I'm in.

Posts 138
LogosEmployee
Clifford Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 19 2013 7:29 AM

Liam,

After looking over the list of Hebrews commentaries at Best Commentaries, I would have to say that I would order things a bit different. But this is another topic for another day.

It is difficult to say where I would place Spicq's work in this list. Because it is dated (1952-53), it is not up to date on the current research—which is no fault to Spicq. Nonetheless, this commentary is without fail heavily referenced and quoted in almost all of the commentaries that have been published since Spicq. For this reason, I would place it in the top five works on Hebrews since 1950. Spicq is a master of Greek lexicography and knows the background literature of Hebrews. He is a critical and pious interpreter of the text, always seeking to explain Hebrews in its original context and applying it to our world today (today being 1952-53).

The best thing is that Logos is seeking to do what no other publisher has done, translate this into English. Soon, us students of this marvelous letter to the Hebrews will have in our toolbox one of the most important critical commentaries on Hebrews to have ever been written.

Cliff

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 20 2013 3:13 AM

Bump!

Almost There!             *smile*

http://www.logos.com/product/17734/the-epistle-to-the-Hebrews

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 9627
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 20 2013 5:55 AM

Some resources surprise me more than others and this is one of them. I would have though more people would have jumped at the opportunity to have this in their library. Perhaps it is because many are not familiar with Spicq.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 12078
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 20 2013 7:01 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Some resources surprise me more than others and this is one of them. I would have though more people would have jumped at the opportunity to have this in their library. Perhaps it is because many are not familiar with Spicq.

Bruce, we have not the slightest idea how many people have bid on this (same as with CP). Since Logos needs to translate this in addition to the usual  linking and marking stuff, the internal cost surely is much higher than with a "normal" resource. The price is in the normal range for such a commentary, which would mean more than usual bids are required to finance this. Bob once lastly commented that some CP resources have been bid on by virtually all people that do CP and still linger far from going into production: the cost block associated simply is too big to be covered at the going rate. Only Logos could tell how many people signed up for Spicq. My thinking is that the growing number of forum users and of followers would bring people aboard who didn't know of this opportunity and join the bidders now. 

Posts 9627
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 20 2013 7:23 AM

NB.Mick:

Bruce Dunning:

Bruce, we have not the slightest idea how many people have bid on this (same as with CP). Since Logos needs to translate this in addition to the usual  linking and marking stuff, the internal cost surely is much higher than with a "normal" resource. The price is in the normal range for such a commentary, which would mean more than usual bids are required to finance this. Bob once lastly commented that some CP resources have been bid on by virtually all people that do CP and still linger far from going into production: the cost block associated simply is too big to be covered at the going rate. Only Logos could tell how many people signed up for Spicq. My thinking is that the growing number of forum users and of followers would bring people aboard who didn't know of this opportunity and join the bidders now. 

Thanks for the reminder of the fact that this resource is different than many others. I sort of wish that there was a way to communicate this on the Community Pricing page.

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 20 2013 4:40 PM

Bump.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 22 2013 3:18 AM

Clifford Kvidahl:
let's get Spicq into production

Are you truly waiting until the bar reaches 100%, or have you 'cheated' and already started, taking for granted the additional orders will come during the translation process?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 22 2013 5:53 AM

Ordering the PrePublications by bestselling, Spicq ranks as the 15th best selling prepub, which includes community pricing items that gathered sufficient interest to reach development status. In fact, 11 of the top 15 originated as community pricing items. That means Spicq ranks 4th when only considering items that have a fixed price.

Here's the top 60. Items in bold are still gathering interest. All the others are either under development or scheduled for delivery.

Draw your own conclusions.

01 - Codex Bezae Cantabrigiensis

02 - The Messages of the Books

03 - Preacher’s Homiletic Commentary (38 vols.)

04 - Hebrew Audio Pronunciations

05 - A Dictionary of the Bible (5 vols.)by James Hastings

06 - The Jewish Encyclopedia (12 vols.)by Isidore Singer

07 - The Whole Works of James Ussher (18 vols.)by James Ussher

08 - Islamic Studies Collection (34 vols.)

09 - The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, 1915 Editionby James Orr

10 - The Dialogues of Plato (5 vols.)

11 - Classic Commentaries and Studies on the Biblical Apocrypha / Deuterocanon (42 vols.)

12 - Reformed Dogmatics (5 vols.)

13 - Word Biblical Commentary, vol. 37a: Acts 1–14by Stephen Walton

14 - The Works of Aristotle (12 vols.)by Aristotle

15 - The Epistle to the Hebrews (2 vols.)by Ceslas Spicq

16 - Word Biblical Commentary, Volume 18B: Job 38–42by David J. A. Clines

17 - Paul and the Faithfulness of God (4 vols.)by N. T. Wright

18 - Theological Journal Library, vol. 15

19 - IVP Dictionary of the Old Testament Bundle Upgrade (2 vols.)

20 - Institutes of the Christian Religion (2 vols.)by John Calvin

21 - Robert Lewis Dabney Collection (11 vols.)

22 - A Greek and English Lexicon to the New Testamentby S. T. Bloomfield

23 - Eusebius of Caesarea Collection (6 vols.)by Eusebius of Caesarea

24 - The Jewish Study Bible

25 - Immanuel Kant Collection (6 vols.)

26 - Herman Ridderbos Collection (9 vols.)by Herman N. Ridderbos

27 - Classics in Rationalist Philosophy Collection (5 vols.)

28 - Book of Common Prayer Collection (17 vols.)

29 - High Definition Commentary: Romansby Steve E. Runge

30 - Friedrich Schleiermacher Collection (6 vols.)

31 - Word Biblical Commentary, vol. 32: Micah–Malachi (Revised)by Ralph L. Smith

32 - William Cowper Collection (6 vols.)

33 - The Works of St. Ephraim (4 vols.)

34 - New Interpreter's Bible (12 vols.)

35 - Hegel's Lectures on the Philosophy of Religion (3 vols.)by Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

36 - Wisconsin Lutheran Quarterly, 1990-2010 (84 Issues)by Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary

37 - The James Orr Collection (21 vols.)

38 - Classics in Empiricist Philosophy Collection (9 vols.)

39 - Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament, 28th Edition, with Critical Apparatus

40 - History of the Rise of the Huguenots (2 vols.)by Henry M. Baird

41 - New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible (5 vols.)by Katharine Doob Sakenfeld

42 - The Works of George A. Barton (15 vols.)

43 - Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus (2 vols.)by Ludwig Wittgenstein

44 - Missals of the Roman Catholic Church (3 vols.)by Catholic Church

45 - The Works of Ezekiel Hopkins (4 vols.)

46 - Pastorum Live 2012 Conference Videos

47 - The Works of William Law (9 vols.)by William Law

48 - Baker Illustrated Reference Collection (4 vols.)

49 - Commentary on the New Testament from the Talmud and Midrash (3 vols.)

50 - Understanding the Bible Commentary Series: Old Testament (16 vols.)

51 - Aquinas' Commentary on the Prophet Isaiah: English and Latin (2 vols.)by Thomas Aquinas

52 - A Puritan Theology: Doctrine for Life

53 - Ignatius Catholic Study Bible: New Testament, Genesis, Exodus, and the RSV2CE

54 - The New English Bible with the Apocrypha

55 - New Testament for Everyone Series Upgrade (2 vols.)by N. T. Wright

56 - The Revised English Bible with the Apocrypha

57 - Florida College Annual Lectures (1974–2011) (38 vols.)

58 - Guerras y Antigüedades de los Judios

59 - Faith in the New Testament by Adolf Schlatter: English and German (2 vols.)by Adolf Schlatter

60 - The Works of Nicholas Ridleyby Nicholas Ridley

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS