Help with a Topic search please.

Page 3 of 3 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 45 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 26693
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 6:38 PM

Jerry Harned:

I have a collection named "My topics" which contains mostly Bible dictionaries. Doing a basic search with operative "topic:house" in this collection yields a "Look it up" with a single dictionary referenced. However, it seems like the "house" article, which each of my dictionaries have, should be listed in the "Library Results" list, but they're not.

Arrrggghhh!!

If you search on "house" you will get all the Library results AND the topic section. A search on "topic:house" is very different but it gives you topics WITHOUT all those Library results because only a few resources have words tagged as "topic"

"topic:house" has got nothing to do with REAL TOPICS, because you might as well search for "Jerry:house".

So, YES, stay with the infinitely more satisfying use of left and right arrows as they do give you additional REAL TOPICS.

[Excuse the use of loud caps, as this thread has valiantly tried to debunk the use of  "topic:word"]

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 1:01 AM

Jerry Harned:

I guess the work around for now is to click on the resource that comes up in "Look it up" and then in that window page through the other like resources with the right or left arrow.

Ditto what Dave said, but with the addition that clicking on the resource that comes up, and then the + tab is the best workaround, and then use the list of resources in the righthand column (not the covers list which is worthless).

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 1:03 AM

Sean Boisen:

Mark Barnes:

I could be wrong, but I would see it as relatively low-hanging fruit to give us a headwords keyword. You would make a lot of people VERY happy if we could run headword:grace across our dictionaries or journals.

I agree that this is an important feature for us to offer. There are some technical reasons why the fruit isn't hanging quite a low as you might think, and we've got an lot of feature requests on the development list, but rest assured this one has not gone unheard.

Yahey! Progress Big Smile - I shall be first in the queue for the beta when it comes....

Posts 383
Stephen Thorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 2:32 AM

As the person who initially started this thread, I'm naturally grateful that I received the corresponding answer that only seven dictionaries have been sufficiently tagged to allow them to appear in the 'Topic' section of a search, but I have been completely AMAZED at how this thread has developed into a much deeper line of inquiry, which is something that I feel both good and bad about. I feel a little bad that so much anxst has been generated between forum users taking part in this discusion, but equally I feel good that so much profitable thought and help has come out of it. Well done everybody and thank you.

Signed  - one proud forum user. 

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 4:39 AM

Steven,

as one who contributed to the angst, I'm grateful for this thread...up until now...I can tell you that I didn't fully understand the issues involved.

It also reinforced my respect for some sharp Logos users; Dave H and Mark B...both we are fortunate to have here.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 26693
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 6:15 AM

Stephen Thorp:
Signed  - one proud forum user. 

There was some angst but we have a proud user and some valuable understanding at the end! That's a good result!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 3 of 3 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS