Morph search: How do I search for untagged english words?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 12 2009 3:41 PM

I'm creating a visual filter for English texts and would like to somehow mark words which are assumed or implied in the original, and then added to the English translation. Is this possible?

Posts 33484
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 5:39 PM

Mark Barnes:
mark words which are assumed or implied in the original,

I'm having trouble envisioning what you want. Could you give an example?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 6:02 PM

Sorry. You may know that in many editions of the KJV or NKJV (including the one included with Logos) words that don't appear in the Greek or Hebrew are marked in italics:

Then He gave him the covenant of circumcision; nand so Abraham begot Isaac and circumcised him on the eighth day; oand Isaac begot Jacob, and pJacob begot the twelve patriarchs. (Acts 7:8)

I was hoping to do something similar with visual filters. If there was a NOT command, I could do NOT (@V???? OR @J???) etc., which should then tag everything that doesn't have a Greek counterpart, but I can't work out the syntax if it's even possible.

Posts 33484
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 6:08 PM

Mark Barnes:
You may know that in many editions of the KJV or NKJV

Thanks for the example - now I understand. Yes, it could be useful. And trust me, the 1611 King James is about the only one I know much about.Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 27060
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 9:26 PM

Mark Barnes:
I was hoping to do something similar with visual filters. If there was a NOT command, I could do NOT (@V???? OR @J???) etc., which should then tag everything that doesn't have a Greek counterpart, but I can't work out the syntax if it's even possible.

One of the deficiencies of the Morph syntax in L4 is term lists and term negation eg. (@N OR @C) and -@C do not work. This is a strong point of L3!

EDIT:  that was a little rushed as  (@N OR @C) works but  ((@N OR @C) ANDEQUALS heap) and (heap ANDNOT  @V) do not work.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 5:05 AM

What's the equivalent of ANDEQUALS with OR? In other words, how do I do an OR search at word, not verse level?

Posts 27060
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 7:06 AM

Mark Barnes:

What's the equivalent of ANDEQUALS with OR? In other words, how do I do an OR search at word, not verse level?

I don't understand the question because there is no distinction in the way you use OR with other operators and terms (whether word or morphological). Give me an example of what you mean.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 7:26 AM

Sorry. If I wanted to search for all words that are not verbs or nouns, one might imagine the syntax was one of the following:

None of these work. In an english reverse-interlinear the first returns all verses which have the english word "not" and contain either a verse or a noun. That suggests that the search is looking for matches within the verse (like AND), rather than within the word (like ANDEQUALS). That therefore suggests there ought to be an OREQUALS (or equivalent) so I could look for one word which was either type A or type B. Is that any clearer?

Posts 27060
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 3:24 PM

Mark Barnes:

Sorry. If I wanted to search for all words that are not verbs or nouns, one might imagine the syntax was one of the following:

There is a summary of Search operators at  http://wiki.logos.com/Search_HELP

(heap(@V OR @N))  is functionally equivalent to (NOT(@V OR @N))  because NOT is a searchable word as is heap. A space (or lack of  space) between terms is regarded as an AND operation ie.

heap AND (@V OR @N)  ==>  with similar results to those you described.

So if you want occurrences of heap as a Verb OR a Noun, the correct syntax would be:

heap ANDEQUALS (@V OR @N)

but it does not work and we have a bug report http://wiki.logos.com/Bug$3a_Various_Morphological_Operators_Not_Functional.

Basically Morph Search does not recognise ANDEQUALS as an operator with a morph term.

Translate to a Bible Search and we have a workable and verbose syntax (after some editing):-

(([field bible] heap) ANDEQUALS ([field bible] <lbs-morph+el ~ V???????>))

But the only OR format that works is:-

heap ANDEQUALS (<lbs-morph+el ~ V???????>, <lbs-morph+el ~ N????>)

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS