Location and syncing of user-generated documents and notes

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 30
Aaron Frey | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 12 2009 6:45 PM

Howdy, all!

Up until now I haven't gotten my hands dirty with Logos 4 the way I have with other versions. I've been getting a lot better with the interface and doing some very fulfilling exegesis, but I haven't gotten under the hood at all. That's not normal for me, and now I feel uninformed and out of the loop, forced to ask questions that other people are usually calling to ask me.

Nothing to it but to do it, though. So, looking at the directory structure and files in my Logos 4 installation, am I correct in assuming that there is no longer a single file representing each document that the user creates, as there was in previous versions of Logos? If that's true, how do you share notes with another person--or can't you? And if I add notes to an Exegetical Guide, will those notes show up in other places where I have Logos 4 installed and logged into my personal account? So far I haven't seen all my notes show up in both places.

God bless your studies with wisdom and truth, and thanks for your consideration.

Aaron Frey

Posts 8662
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 7:33 PM

AaronFrey:
how do you share notes with another person--or can't you?
Hrm.  I don't see that potential just yet.  There has to be a way, I just don't know it.

AaronFrey:
if I add notes to an Exegetical Guide, will those notes show up in other places where I have Logos 4 installed and logged into my personal account?
I believe so, but I can't test it, my second machine perished.

AaronFrey:
So far I haven't seen all my notes show up in both places.
Is it just the EG notes that aren't syncing?  Or is there another pattern you're noticing?

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 30
Aaron Frey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 7:54 PM

Unfortunately, Thomas, I haven't had the time to do a lot of testing, but so far it's just Passage Guide and Exegetical Guide notes that I'm noticing. Actual note documents seem to show up on both machines just fine, though. Both machines have no problem seeing customized guides, also. I haven't played with other kinds of content, such as clippings.

Posts 8662
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 9:19 PM

Hmm.  I wish I could test this some. 

I do agree with you though... PG and EG notes should sync as well -or what's the point of using them?

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 6:18 AM

AaronFrey:

Unfortunately, Thomas, I haven't had the time to do a lot of testing, but so far it's just Passage Guide and Exegetical Guide notes that I'm noticing. Actual note documents seem to show up on both machines just fine, though. Both machines have no problem seeing customized guides, also. I haven't played with other kinds of content, such as clippings.

Watching the traffic between Logos 4 and the Logos server suggests that notes in the PG and EG, and 'starring' helpful commentaries, do NOT sync with the cloud.

Posts 30
Aaron Frey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 7:07 PM

Wow. It also looks like I can't grab my notes and move them to the other computer, either. Is that right?

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 12:58 AM

AaronFrey:

Wow. It also looks like I can't grab my notes and move them to the other computer, either. Is that right?

It's theoretically possible, but only by using non-documented methods that carry some risk of data corruption.

Posts 30
Aaron Frey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 2:41 AM

Well, I'm hoping someone from Logos is listening in and can tell us that we're all wrong here. I had been billing this approach to notes (adding them to guides, automatically syncing, etc.) as a big improvement over the old method. But we seem to be talking about a system that doesn't reliably save your information between the computer you're on and the next one you use and has no safe way for you to do it for yourself. That can't be right. There has to be something we're missing here.

Posts 8662
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 6:52 AM

Aaron,

I can gaurantee that Logos is reading these posts.  They know where the problems are, they just don't always have time to reply.  The current theory ala Philip is that when you see a burst of Logos responses - they're getting ready to release some bug fixes and improvements.  I think he's right.

What that means for us is:

1. They are listening
  2. They are working on it.

Posts 30
Aaron Frey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 8:34 AM

Not to worry, Thomas. I've been around plenty long enough to know they're listening. My only concern was that they were too swamped to listen regularly at the moment, and I have a class to teach on a brand-new, ground-up system in just a few weeks. I don't want them to look bad because I'm not ready with the answers I need.

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 8:47 AM

Hi Aaron,

I just tested this out... I ran my passage guide on a random verse, gave it a title, added a few test notes to a couple of section in the guide...

Synced.

Open up L4 on other machine, all this stuff has synced across no problems.

I'm running L4a-beta4 but I'm got no reason to believe that this would have changed since SR7.

EDIT: clippings also sync as expected

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 9:22 AM

That's interesting. I just ran a re-test, and this time the the PG/EG notes do sync. I wonder what caused the problem earlier?

<edit>It may have been that the sync doesn't occur until you close the PG. If you leave it open, and just click the re-sync button, nothing happens.</edit>

Posts 3502
LogosEmployee
Scott Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 10:27 AM

Mark Barnes:
<edit>It may have been that the sync doesn't occur until you close the PG. If you leave it open, and just click the re-sync button, nothing happens.</edit>

Mark is correct, currently the PG and EG only save themselves on close. We are planning on implementing auto save functionality for guides, similar to documents (reading plan, notes, clippings, etc.). Once this has been implemented your guide changes will be synced automatically, shortly after editing.

In the meantime if you want to be sure guide changes have synced, close the panel and wait for the sync icon to stop spinning before shutting down or leaving the app.

Posts 30
Aaron Frey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 3:03 AM

Awesome! Makes perfect sense to me. Also, the notes I was missing did eventually come up on the other computer. I guess I had been hitting that sync button over and over again but not leaving any time for the program to upload it on closing the panel. Thanks, everyone.

Aaron

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS