Greek Morphological Search in ESV

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 7
frederickranderson | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, May 26 2013 11:04 AM

An old Logos 4 search for Greek Imperatives no longer works in Logos 5 with the ESV as my selected Bible. I can search in the NRSV however. Logos Support suggested I use the new Logos Morphology. I tried that and the first time I opened the ESV my search displayed as an option for about a second and then disappeared.

Please can anyone tell me how to make this work or confirm that this is a bug in Logos 5. Thanks

Posts 29377
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 26 2013 11:13 AM

Welcome to the forums!

To be honest, I don't work with the OL very much. If no one comes along soon, could you post a screen shot? My first thought is that you might have a corrupt bible index.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 26 2013 1:17 PM

Frederick J Randerson:
Please can anyone tell me how to make this work or confirm that this is a bug in Logos 5. Thanks

The Greek Morphology has changed, but it shouldn't make a big difference for a simple search like this. It's unlikely you've struck a bug in the search, however, as others would have come across it earlier. Perhaps you can explain exactly the steps you took and what happened (or provide a screenshot), we'll be able to work out the problem.

Posts 7
frederickranderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 26 2013 8:31 PM

Posts 7
frederickranderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 26 2013 8:36 PM

I have a screenshot and would love to post it but have no idea how to do it!! The attach files option here does not seem to work. This is what I get when I try to add the screenshot!

4212.Print Screen Logos Greek Filter.docx

Sorry to be such a dummy!

Posts 29377
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 26 2013 8:37 PM

If you are trying to post a screen shot, use the paper clip icon in the formatting Pallete. 

Posts 29377
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 26 2013 8:39 PM

Posts 7
frederickranderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 26 2013 8:40 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply. That is what I did. I see my post now has reference to a .docx file which I can view from my computer. That is the screenshot which I first pasted into a Word document. Please let me know if that works for you and you can view it.

Posts 7
frederickranderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 26 2013 8:41 PM

Thanks for the amazingly quick reply and confirmation! Many blessings to you and I hope help is on the way to resolve it

Posts 29377
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 26 2013 8:43 PM

I will need one of the others to chime in... But out of curiosity, what format was your screenshot? It needs to be .jpg or .png. 

Posts 9070
LogosEmployee

Please try entering the command "update resources" into the command box at the top of the program.

It's possible that if the ESV is your preferred Bible, a bug in the software prevented the update of the reverse interlinear (which will stop Greek morph search from working). This bug is now fixed, but depending on when you upgraded the resources may still be out of date.

If "update resources" starts a download, then this is most likely the problem, and Greek search should start working again after the download and reindexing completes.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 26 2013 8:58 PM

Frederick J Randerson:
The attach files option here does not seem to work.

Saved picture in doc as jpg, then attached file:

Curious about ESV support information ? please click (i), then scroll down to list resources and dates:

By the way, wiki has more Logos Greek Morphology examples => http://wiki.logos.com/Extended_Tips_for_Highlighting_and_Visual_Filters#Examples_of_visual_filters

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 7
frederickranderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 26 2013 11:49 PM

Thanks so much Bradley. The command and the re-indexing worked and all is now functioning as it should!

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2013 12:03 AM

Mark Barnes:
The Greek Morphology has changed

Do you know what has changed?

Posts 32215
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2013 1:01 AM

Harry, may I impose on you and ask that you describe how standard Greek dictionaries deal with root, stem and lemmas in http://community.logos.com/forums/p/70746/492748.aspx#492748 ? If you don't want to get involved, I'll understand (more than I understand the absence of a true NOT)Big Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 7
frederickranderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2013 9:41 AM

Harry here is the information I got from Logos Support. I hope it helps!:

The ESV used to be tagged with an older morphology set, (still used in UBS4). It was recently upgraded, along with many other texts, to “Logos Morphology”. The benefits being that we own this data and are able to update and expand it as necessary, without working through 3rd party publishers, renegotiating licenses, and waiting on long review print-copy processes. The result is better and more expansive data, faster. However, some of your previous filters based on the older morphology set may not function the same in the new data.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS