Keener on Acts now in Pre-pub

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 9488
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 31 2013 1:39 PM

The first two volumes of Craig Keener's massive commentary on Acts is now on pre-pub. Note that these volumes only cover up through Acts 14!

Some reviews of Volume 1 are found here and here and here and here. An interview with Keener on the first volume is here.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3305
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 1:51 PM

You got to be kidding- $72- no way.

Posts 5621
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 2:24 PM

Mark Smith:

The first two volumes of Craig Keener's massive commentary on Acts is now on pre-pub. Note that these volumes only cover up through Acts 14!

Some reviews of Volume 1 are found here and here and here and here. An interview with Keener on the first volume is here.

Thanks.  Looks interesting (I read the Amazon reviews and the interview).  Note that the price is right in line with the hardcover version (the Logos version is actually a couple dollars cheaper) and $10 more than the Kindle editions, which I wouldn't consider for this type of book.

I pre-ordered.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 9609
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 2:34 PM

That price may be good but it does seem a bit steep for a commentary that only covers half of the book of Acts.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 3:38 PM

Whyndell Grizzard:

$72 is a good price. I paid $40 just for volume one in print.

Posts 3305
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 4:00 PM

Mark Barnes:

Whyndell Grizzard:

I respect the fact you see value in this- but I honestly do not. This is the type of deal that has lead me to return to building my paper library and use other programs- Logos has become extremely expensive.

Again this is my view- I understand other may feel differently- but we each have to place a value on what we decide to do with our $$.

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 4:16 PM

What does this commentary of Acts offer that other commentaries  don't offer that makes it worth so much?

Posts 8207
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 5:15 PM

Evan Boardman:

What does this commentary of Acts offer that other commentaries  don't offer that makes it worth so much?

That's exactly the same thing I'm wondering.  I can understand volume 1 first half, and volume 2 the other half, but one volume on just the first 2 chapters and then the other on the rest of the chapters only to chapter 14, that doesn't seem "normal" to me.  Besides what does he have to offer that Peterson and Bock and the others don't offer (e.g. Socio-Rhetorical by Witherington III)? I'm just saying.  From the reviews I think it has too much history that is not necessarily relevant to the text and perhaps could not contribute to sermon preparation when it comes to application.  I guess for a thesis on the book of Acts it could be superb and extremely helpful but for a go-to commentary for Sunday sermons it won't be as helpful.  Again, I'm not rejecting the work, I could consider it sometime in the future, but for now I don't find much use for it.  I don't think all the extra information would be suitable for a Sunday class setting or a sermon.  Keener is so smart Geeked he knows more than I'll ever will in my entire life, but a projected 4 volume commentary on one book of the Bible...I don't know, may seem a little too much information overload Tongue Tied

DAL

Posts 29614
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 5:33 PM

Whyndell Grizzard:

Mark Barnes:

Whyndell Grizzard:

I respect the fact you see value in this- but I honestly do not. This is the type of deal that has lead me to return to building my paper library and use other programs- Logos has become extremely expensive.

Again this is my view- I understand other may feel differently- but we each have to place a value on what we decide to do with our $$.

Whyndell - The paper version of this on Amazon is currently $34.37 for one volume. Both volumes together are $68.74. The Kindle versions combined are $65.30. Logos is selling this for $71.95. If I were in the market for these volumes, it would be a no brainer. The most you would save is under $10.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 5:52 PM

DAL:
I don't think all the extra information would be suitable for a Sunday class setting or a sermon.  Keener is so smart Geeked he knows more than I'll ever will in my entire life, but a projected 4 volume commentary on one book of the Bible...I don't know, may seem a little too much information overload

For many purposes it is. But if you want a four-volume commentary on Acts, there isn't a better one. And if you want any on Acts, there isn't a better format than Logos. For myself, I've appreciated the fact that this is the only commentary I've owned where I can turn to any passage and not bemoan the fact that the author hasn't dealt with things properly. Most commentaries I read - even the good ones - cover everything in "enough" detail, but not enough to satisfy the complex questions I occasionally I have.

Posts 9488
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 7:07 PM

This isn't a commentary for everyone. Published by Baker Academic and certainly aimed at scholars as well as pastors rather than lay persons it will have more detail than most want. Logos has some other good choices, Fitzmyer in AB (only available in the whole AB NT set), Barrett in ICC ($110 for 2 volumes), Bock in BECNT ($55), and (perhaps) Pervo in Herm. (bundled in the Hermeneia 3 volume upgrade for $150). and for a briefer treatment, Marshall in Tyndale (available only in the complete Tyndale set).

Like the other Mark I am sometimes disappointed in the brevity of some commentaries. Of course length in itself is no indicator of value. The fact that this is authored by Craig Keener, and his first volume received good reviews, leads me to sign up. I may well be retired from ministry by the time this set is complete.

While we're at it, it would be nice to have Keener's commentary on the Gospel of John as well.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8207
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 7:18 PM

I love Baker Academic.  I hope they never leave like Moody did, that would probably be detrimental to Logos.

DAL

Posts 2272
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 7:48 PM

I love Keener, and his knowledge of other literature contemporary with the New Testament is unrivaled.  He is able to supply context that most others never get at.  I welcome these volumes, and the price is practically the same as paper volumes.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 8:28 PM

Evan Boardman:
I'm not familiar with the Acts commentaries, but I have the hardback version of the two volumes on the Gospel of John and have used them extensively. If Acts is like his commentary on John, then it will be filled with historical references that most of us would never find through other sources. If you are not looking to do serious research in Acts, however, this will probably be overkill. 

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 8:53 PM

From one reviewer:

Keener offers neither text nor translation. Readers will need an open Bible. True to his word, Keener does not take up textual questions, as is apparent from the first significant variant (Acts 1:2). One result of this omission is to disabuse any readers of the notion that they will need no other commentary...

Now I have a hard time deciding whether to make the jump...

Posts 2272
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 11:58 AM

Here is something from Ben Witherington's blog, which is a copy of Larry Hurtado's post about the first book.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS