Bug? Does "Scan" command still work?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 14 2013 3:57 AM

Here is how I use Scan and Dropbox to sync compiled personal books, but it does not seem to work any more:

1. Build a PB on laptop

2, Take completed lbspbb file and put it in a folder under Dropbox, which will sync to my other computer

3. On desktop computer, Click a button on my toolbar that is SCAN C:\Users\Awalt\Dropbox\Compiled PBB Files

4.Restart desktop computer

At this point, the new PB file is recognized in the LIbrary and can be opened and used.

But now, no matter what I seem to do, the new file is not brought into the system with Scan. I thought maybe a bug creeped in that could not handle the multi-word folder name "Compiled PBB Files", so I moved just that one file into an otherwise empty folder C:\Temp, and that did not work either. 

The last time I used this technique was April or maybe May, I am on 5.0b SR-4

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 14 2013 11:57 AM

Can someone try this on their machine to see if it can be duplicated? Just do this:

1. If you have 2 Logos installs: One #1, make a small change to an existing Personal Book - compile it. Make sure both machines sync after the compile is complete.

2. Take the lbsppb file that was created, and copy to a unique folder on computer #2. Do the Scan <folder name>, enter, then restart Logos.

Does the change show up? Logos should detect an updated version of the PB file and use it.

Posts 26613
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 14 2013 8:24 PM

Don Awalt:

Can someone try this on their machine to see if it can be duplicated? Just do this:

1. If you have 2 Logos installs: One #1, make a small change to an existing Personal Book - compile it. Make sure both machines sync after the compile is complete.

2. Take the lbsppb file that was created, and copy to a unique folder on computer #2. Do the Scan <folder name>, enter, then restart Logos.

Does the change show up? Logos should detect an updated version of the PB file and use it.

It still works.

I scanned a PB from Logos 5 into Logos 4 yesterday (current Beta versions) and repeated just now for L5 to another L5 (current stable versions).

Both installs must be for the same Logos account.

To see what is happening in your case; when you restart L5 at step 2, hold the CTRL key down (to generate logs) and upload the LoogosIndexer.log from Documents\Logos Log Files.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2013 5:51 AM

Thanks Dave, this looks very interesting!  Here is what did, and here is what I think I see:

Yesterday, I was trying to add a new PB, and it didn't show up. To do the test you suggested, I had two PBs that I just modified - existing PBs.

Compiled, copied over, scanned, restarted with Ctrl key held down, opened Logos 5.0 - the two PBs are GONE! My library is in fact decremented by 2.

I checked the indexer log (uploaded at the end here). If you search for "PBB:351e6", you will find the two lines where it found them - good! Scan is in fact working. Notice the next line though, it copies to \...\ScannedResources, then it deletes the ScannedResources folder. Could it be deleting the files before they are copied to the right resources folder? No, because they are in the Logos Resources folder with all the rest of the PBs. I tried restarting Logos again, and the library resource count is decremented by 2 still, and searching for the resources by title does not find them - they are definitely not in the Logos system.

So I don't know what's going on!

8015.LogosIndexer.log

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2013 6:01 AM

I think I see the problem in the indexer file - near the bottom, it says "Unable to open..." for both pbs, saying "Too new".

"too new"???? Just to answer the obvious question, both computers have the proper date and time set. 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2013 6:07 AM

Don Awalt:
"too new"????

Compile Personal Book(s) in one Logos 5 installation

Sync (send updated Personal Book metadata to Logos servers)

Copy lbspbb file(s)

Switch to another Logos 5 installation

Sync (retrieve Personal Book metadata from Logos servers)

Scan lbspbb file(s)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2013 6:08 AM

One last piece of information - I went the opposite direction and it worked perfectly.

So

This problem occurs when building a personal book with 5.1 RC-1, and transferring the compiled file to 5.0b SR-4.

It does not occur the opposite direction.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2013 6:16 AM

Don Awalt:
This problem occurs when building a personal book with 5.1 RC-1, and transferring the compiled file to 5.0b SR-4.

Logos 5.1 Release Notes => http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_5.1 include new features for Personal Book Builder.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 29373
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2013 6:25 AM

Don Awalt:

That's not a bug… it's expected. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2013 7:14 AM

Ah - it means PB format is too new. I get it.

It might be worth considering some more obvious error message or prevention of the activity, that does not wipe out the resources in the old version. This sounds like it could be a future support nightmare otherwise. People currently do all kinds of things to maintain PBs across computers since it is not yet supported, and updates to the latest version is not immediate for all from what I see on the forums1 Just a thought...

Posts 29373
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2013 9:10 AM

I don't think the scan command for personal books is officially supported... It is my understanding that the official line is that the books need to be compiled on each computer individually. 

Posts 26613
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2013 4:18 PM

alabama24:

I don't think the scan command for personal books is officially supported... It is my understanding that the official line is that the books need to be compiled on each computer individually. 

The scan command is supported for PB's  e.g. I can scan a PB from 5.1 beta into 4.6c beta which cannot be compiled in 4.6c

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 29373
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2013 4:48 PM

Dave - for my edification... Has logos ever "blessed" using the scan command for these personal books? By "support", do you mean that Logos will fix 4.x builds if personal books from 5.x builds won't scan in? Do you mean Logos will provide technical support over the phone for this scan procedure? When I said I didn't think it was supported, it was because I thought the answer to all these questions was "no." I don't think I have read anything by Logos ever about using the scan command for new personal books. 

Posts 26613
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2013 11:04 PM

alabama24:
Has logos ever "blessed" using the scan command for these personal books? By "support", do you mean that Logos will fix 4.x builds if personal books from 5.x builds won't scan in?

Logos fixed the 4.6c beta to allow PB's, built in 5.1 with features available only to v5.1**, to be recognised & used as resources in 4.6c & higher. This (presumably) will continue until Logos 4 is no longer supported alongside v5 (so this will not happen for v5.0).

** i.e. Text Input Box and Lectionary/Harmony Support.

alabama24:
Do you mean Logos will provide technical support over the phone for this scan procedure?

Scan is documented in the internal Logos Help file, so they can provide assistance in using it, but if it isn't working (as per this thread) they will likely inform the user about the limitation (which is in the Logos software rather than the Scan command), and advise the user to update to 5.1 or 4.6c!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 29373
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 16 2013 4:31 AM

Thanks for clarifying that for me Dave. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS