Inconsistant Placeholding

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 19
John | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 18 2013 7:12 AM

I cannot figure out what Logos or I am doing wrong.

What I want is for my place in scripture to be presented to me accurately, whenever i open Logos from any of my devices. What I am experiencing is no sense of connectedness between HQ, Mac, iPad or Android.

In fact, this morning when I opened Logos on my Mac, having closed down Logos on the same Mac last night, it opened the word at a different spot than where I was last night! I had even clicked the sync wheel (upper right) to try and force HQ to hear where I was. No luck.

This has been a continuous source of frustration between devices. I feel fortunate that my Android even knows Logos exists.

The iPad is pretty flawless if it is the only access device, it will even update to where I left on the Mac consistently, but any move I make on the iPad is not picked up by other devices, including by the very Mac the iPad seems to know about.

WHY doesn't my Mac know about actions of my iPad, likewise?

Why doesn't my Mac know what it did last night!!!?

This is really becoming tedious as I have "put up" with inconsistent content place and note syncing for years. Basically, the only place I feel I can write a note and have it work as expected everytime is from my iPad. Really? Is that what I paid for? Please help.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 18 2013 7:31 AM

JohnR:
In fact, this morning when I opened Logos on my Mac, having closed down Logos on the same Mac last night, it opened the word at a different spot than where I was last night!

Exactly how did you open your Bible? It will open to different places depending on whether you open it from the Library or from the shortcut bar, by opening a saved Layout, or by setting Logos to open in a certain way.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 19
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 18 2013 7:46 AM

Thanks for the question. Saved layout. Right where I left off last night.

iPad just "opens"...

Posts 30488
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 18 2013 8:13 AM

John - Several things:

1. Exactly what version of L4 are you using?
  2. Is there a reason you have yet to migrate to at least the free L5 engine?
  3. I have a favor to ask you which might sound a little strange. I have been having a discussion with some others about the way Logos uses the term "layout." Can you describe to me what you think it means in Logos, and what you expect it to do?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 18 2013 8:14 AM

1) You're absolutely sure you remembered to save the layout before you closed?

2) What does it say in Program Settings?

No, wait, you're on L4. You may not even have that setting. Any particular reason you haven't updated to L5? It's free, and provided your computer has the specs for it, it's definitely recommended.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 19
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 7 2013 7:26 PM

I upgraded my Mac to v.5. Reason I hadn't was I thought it cost money.

Preferences say at Startup open to "most recent layout - any" (not local).

What is happening right:

1. Custom notes added on my iPad appear in the Mac application without delay.

2. After reading my bible on the mac application, I can fresh start my iPad app and it knows where I left off on my Mac.

What is NOT working right:

1. After I read a couple chapters on the iPad app, the Mac doesn't "catch-up" when I open the program. Doesn't matter if I click the sync "wheel" in the Mac application and wait for it to go gray or not. Just doesn't know I advanced on the iPad.

Oddly, the Mac app does give me a gold sparkle on the chapter it presents, it is just NOT the right chapter.

Posts 30488
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 7 2013 9:33 PM

JohnR:

What is NOT working right:

1. After I read a couple chapters on the iPad app, the Mac doesn't "catch-up" when I open the program. Doesn't matter if I click the sync "wheel" in the Mac application and wait for it to go gray or not. Just doesn't know I advanced on the iPad.

The current meaning of "saved layout" really has much more to do with a snapshot of your screen, than a design & pattern of tiles. If you were to open your installation of L5 to a blank layout (press and hold the command key immediately upon startup, check the appropriate box), and without loading  any layout, open the resource in question, I think that you will find that it opens to the right spot. You might need to click the sync wheel right before you open the resource.

Let me explain why it works this way:

Let's say that a pastor is working on four sermons (Sunday Morning, Night, Wednesday & a Wedding... poor, poor pastor!). He will want to have four separate layouts for each of those sermons. He will also want the bibles, commentaries, and other resources to stay put when he returns to that particular study. Does that not make sense to you?

I have argued until I am blue in the face that "layouts" should be called something else (i.e. "projects") since in all reality, a layout represents a project. All resources stay in place for you, as you would want when working on a project. I have also argued that there needs to be a special project/layout which is tied to the mobile apps so that when you want resources to always sync location, you can do that as well. Maybe one day it will happen. Smile

Posts 19
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 8:09 AM

Thanks Alabama.

My face is now also blue...

Tried the work around.

1. Blank screen appears.

2. Upon opening the Bible I was reading on my mobile device, the proper book of the bible opens at chapter one.

3. Clicking the sync wheel does not move me to chapter 15, where I left off.

Both my iPad and my Android can track where I am. That the main application cannot is typical of my experience with Logos bible software.

Thank you for trying.

It seems to me that one ALWAYS needs a PHD in Logos bible management to accomplish anything in this software. Thanks for the suggestion. I simply MUST, once and for all, throw this software in the garbage. My appointments with the Lord are CONSTANTLY interrupted by software user learning. I want to learn the word -- not the software! SOFTWARE GET OUT OF THE WAY! LOGOS GET OUT OF MY LIFE!

Posts 30488
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 9:33 AM

JohnR:
Clicking the sync wheel does not move me to chapter 15, where I left off.

The sync wheel isnt an "advance this book to the last place read" button. 

JohnR:
Upon opening the Bible I was reading on my mobile device, the proper book of the bible opens at chapter one.

Are you saying that all the following are true:

1. you clicked the sync wheel BEFORE you opened the resource for good measure* (you said you clicked on it, but only after the fact.)
  2. you opened the book from the library cold
  3. the resource wasn't part of your current layout
  4. you had not opened ANY layout on ANY computer which might have the resource open
  5. your iPad had a good steady signal and you allowed time for it to sync before closing

Are all of those true? I can reproduce the behavior I described over and over again by repeating those steps.

*Clicking on the sync wheel isnt necessary unless you are moving faster than the software does. It should be synced after a few minutes of opening.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS